2009 F1 Season

dezz

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interestingly (or not) the motor the Leyton House team went on to use was an Ilmor V10. Which morphed into a Mercedes Benz badged unit. Which went into the back of the Sauber. Well before Sauber was taken over by BMW. See how incestuous F1 is?

and arguably the worlds greatest ever N/A supercar, the McLaren F1, is powered by a bespoke BMW Motorsport designed V12. of course that arrangement predates the McLaren/Mercedes affiliation, but i'm sure it grates on the M-B top brass anyway...

not to mention the fact the era when McLaren (and Williams) used to trample all over Ferrari (mid 80's to 90's), the cars sported Honda power. Honda should have just stuck with what they did best.

Is it possible i am starting to feel a little sympathy for old Lewis? He makes life so difficult for himself. Somebody on thsi forum said last year he needs to sack his Carrera GT crashing Dad as manager and get some professional management. I think there may have been a bit of logic to that thinking

On the flip side is Vettel, even younger yet comes clean and apologises to Webber straight after the race at Fuji. Apologises to Kubz straight after the race when most think it was jsut hard racing. Then interviews jokes about how hot Malaysia is and needign dry ice on his balls when driving.

The guy is at the complete opposite end of the spectrum then Lewis, and can steer. I was talking to a BMW mechanic at a dodgy Malaysian bar last week, (i luv Malaysian beer fluffers :D ) and was asking did Vettel show such promise when he was driving for them? If so wy did they dump him. He smiled and said BMW management are not stupid and there are clauses in said contract :P So suggested much with Button and Williams and their loan to BAR etc etc

Yeh i think they shouls stay. Season is variable enough at present. Though since nothing will get done the Brawn cars are going to run away with the season. They are toying with the other teams by only going as fast as they need to. Until this diffuser thing is resolved i think only then will we get to see how quick the Brawn cars are

If they stay, fine; on the proviso that all the teams who don't currently have 'em are allowed to develop and test their own for this years cars. It's only fair. Otherwise it's an obvious competitive advantage to the others.

If they stay, fine; on the proviso that all the teams who don't currently have 'em are allowed to develop and test their own for this years cars. It's only fair. Otherwise it's an obvious competitive advantage to the others.

lol

racing isn't fair the best team wins. why should the teams that made the choice to design their diffusers differently to given a helping hand by the FIA?

I think it will be much better to watch a team trying to test out their new diffusers in race practices, then go back on the in season testing rule.

I'm going to be surprised too if they don't get banned. Having said that though if they're not banned (and it looks as though Ferrari might be thinking it won't) I can't see it taking a full season for outfits like Ferrari/McLaren/BMW and RBR to catch up at least in the diffuser department.

I'm going to be surprised too if they don't get banned. Having said that though if they're not banned (and it looks as though Ferrari might be thinking it won't) I can't see it taking a full season for outfits like Ferrari/McLaren/BMW and RBR to catch up at least in the diffuser department.

I will be gobsmacked if they get banned.

It won't take any of the major teams very long to get the new arrangement implemented. The lack of testing will not hurt them as everything will be sorted using their wind tunnels, cfd systems & shaker rigs.

I cant see it being easy for any team to catch up. Especially RBR whose rear suspension will make it difficult to package. Also the diffuser is part of the tub up near the driver, wasnt that the loop hole in the rules (Loosely?)

So to incorporate the change it means changing about the biggest thing on the car and that is underbody airflow. I cant see it being an easy thing to test without lots of track kms...BUT, then again Brawn did the whole exercise on the drawing board and got it right, but they had all of last year to pen it

I cant see it being easy for any team to catch up. Especially RBR whose rear suspension will make it difficult to package. Also the diffuser is part of the tub up near the driver, wasnt that the loop hole in the rules (Loosely?)

So to incorporate the change it means changing about the biggest thing on the car and that is underbody airflow. I cant see it being an easy thing to test without lots of track kms...BUT, then again Brawn did the whole exercise on the drawing board and got it right, but they had all of last year to pen it

Yeah the Brawn thing was sort of my point. It was good out of the box. Compared to the McLaren which is a dog which no amount of testing will fix. RBR are the odd one out as they are the only team running a pullrod rear.

I would have thought that most of the big tems would have been working on the revised diffuser since before Melbourne.

I would have thought that most of the big tems would have been working on the revised diffuser since before Melbourne.

I agree. I think even for RBR with the expertise of Adrian Newey and the wealth of knowledge acquired from F1 in the past it shouldn't be too hard. Same for Ferrari/McLaren they'll have data from the past as well as wind tunnel data that'll speed this process up. Ground Effects, if this is want you want to call isn't something new.....