SAU Community

Who's Given Linux A Shot?

RBwhatever

I use linux on my router, ADSL modem and NAS... and manage Xen servers at work that run redhat VM's...

but linux graphical interfaces suck balls, so I won't use it as a GUI. Gimp is a waste of time and anyone who prattles on about VIM ought to be introduced to a vagina sometime soon.

as a streamlined OS though, hells yeah.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I installed linux redhat once years ago, with Gnome GUI, seriously its not worth bothering with unless you like command lines and having uber leet status among your peers. Its also hard to get your head around unless you're quite familiar with the inner workings of OS's and computers in general. I ended up getting frustrated with the inability to really 'do' anything with it like play games and gave up.

Mind you it was better at matching drivers to devices than Windows 98, I find with the stability of the current version of Windows XP it's not really necessary unless you've got a specific function for your box such as firewalling. Thats only coming from a home user though.

I've included a snapshot of typical users of Windoze, Mac OS, and Linux.

fcbnatcsamenaqlwfubrarpg.jpg

Lol @ the pictures.

I've just switched Mint 6 back to Ubuntu 8.10. Mint 6 was based off Ubuntu and seemed to be pretty much the same from what I can see so far. Ubuntu has more following and support so I'll just play with this one and so on.

Speakers still won't work out of the laptop though, still only through the headphone jack, which is ok since I run my sound through a stereo anyway....

• 1 year later...

I've been messing around with the latest version of puppy linux to get an old PC (Pentium III, 192MB, 40GB HDD) running again - It seems to work excellent - everything works fine - great little distro for basic computing, recovering stuff and for internet access.

I've decided to push things a little by trying out the latest version of Ubuntu 10.04 32bit on a more modern machine (Centrino 1.6, 1.5GB, 60GB HDD) for a friend that was tired of XP and didn't want anymore virus issues. Ubuntu seems to deliver the goods for her use. She only uses her laptop for assignments, music, internet and MP4/xViD movies (which seem to run smoother than on Windows XP). I've also got Office 2007 running fine via WinE. Not a single problem so far. Her wireless (802.11g) signal strength also seems to be stronger and faster.

Memory usage is at 260MB out of 1.5GB with no pagefile usage - no problems with speed.

Ubuntu seems to be a fairly polished product and have no issues with it so far.

I'm a Windows IT person by trade and have little Linux knowledge - but have enough to nut-it-out

What do you Ubuntu users guys think? I've read alot of negatives about Ubuntu 10.04 - but so far it has worked flawlessly for me.

I run Ubuntu server at home to store all my stuff on, does all the Samba sharing with network as well as emulating Bonjour for streaming audio and video to iPhone/iPad. Doesn't have an interface etc and I only interact with it using terminal. Quite different to Ubuntu client though. I've always thought the best Unix interface has been OSX :) after that maybe KDE?

OSX wishes it was Linux the POS.

we run a few red hat servers at work, and the network admin was playing around with some CentOS web proxies for a while, but IIRC it all got too complicated.

I wouldn't bother running it in a home environment again tbqh

I have got an ASUS EEEPC which has its own version of Linux. It is my only PC with me in Japan and although it is a stuff around to get anything new working with it, it has been working fantastically so far. Stability, above all else, is just amazing compared to Windows. For a machine that was only a few hundred bucks, is tiny and will do most anything, besides games, a desktop will do I couldnt be happier.

The only exceptions are;

Cant get it to play some WAV files (Mp3s,WMAs even lossless, DIVxs and others all work fine after dling codecs etc)

Cant get it to run my Lexmark printer/scanner which is a big pain.

Edited by *LOACH*

I've been messing around with the latest version of puppy linux to get an old PC (Pentium III, 192MB, 40GB HDD) running again - It seems to work excellent - everything works fine - great little distro for basic computing, recovering stuff and for internet access.

I've decided to push things a little by trying out the latest version of Ubuntu 10.04 32bit on a more modern machine (Centrino 1.6, 1.5GB, 60GB HDD) for a friend that was tired of XP and didn't want anymore virus issues. Ubuntu seems to deliver the goods for her use. She only uses her laptop for assignments, music, internet and MP4/xViD movies (which seem to run smoother than on Windows XP). I've also got Office 2007 running fine via WinE. Not a single problem so far. Her wireless (802.11g) signal strength also seems to be stronger and faster.

Memory usage is at 260MB out of 1.5GB with no pagefile usage - no problems with speed.

Ubuntu seems to be a fairly polished product and have no issues with it so far.

I'm a Windows IT person by trade and have little Linux knowledge - but have enough to nut-it-out

What do you Ubuntu users guys think? I've read alot of negatives about Ubuntu 10.04 - but so far it has worked flawlessly for me.

I ran into my first problem this evening - she wanted to run iTunes (she has an iPhone). iTunes refused to run via WinE. So syncing contact info is going to be a pain for now until (hopes) someone has some software to sych iPhone stuff other than pics and audio. iTunes equiv.

On the plus side it seems Ubuntu supports the iPhone "somewhat" natively - you can browse the iPhone like a normal USB stick and see the folder structure, while being able to drag and drop.

Ubuntu even detected her HP 6100 series multifuntion with no fuss - both scanning and printing functions work well.

I use Arch Linux on my home PC and dual boot with Windows 7 for games as playing GTA Vice City with Wine (windows compatibility layer) in Linux wasn't the greatest thing ever (nor the worst).

Had been using Ubuntu for awhile before I started using Arch but I've fallen in love with Arch Linux now. rolling release, specifically having to chose everything you want and writing your own scripts to customise what your system does > * :blink:

fyi itunes on linux

http://www.ehow.com/how_5197743_download-i...nux-ubuntu.html

+ rhythmbox is like itunes and you can also transfer stuff on to your ipod with it

I know you don't get the same standard of program availability that you get with windows. But it's got most if not all bases covered with it's own software support.

What you'll find is that there's a different style to the GUI applications and that there's a decent amount of stuff out there if you know how to search for it.

VLC can cover a lot of things like screencasting etc as well as playing movies.

OpenOffice works like a charm, I know many people who use it, and iirc there's an alternative to that called kOffice for the KDE platform (?).

There're many media players for your music that sit nicely in where-ever you've put your taskbar panel.

You've got Firefox and Chrome, and if you're a webdev just comply with standards and you'll be fine with browser compatibility.

Pidgin for almost every IM platform you can think of, and Digsby should be coming to Linux fairly soon.

Steam's not about to release support for nix but there's Wine available for some of the games, plus those people who buy/sell steams it's handy to have it there.

But that's just the GUI. Once you get into developing the backbone of systems and you're dealing with command line, there's a plethora of software you can use.

If you're just browsing the web, chatting on MSN, listening to music, etc. you're better off with Linux. But if you're gaming etc. you want Windows.

If you're a designer or a multi-media type of person, get a mac.

Simple.