SAU Community

C210 Jdm Parts Arrival

A mate of mine has come back from Japan with some JDM parts for skyline C210: Over-fenders (uncut) so good for 2 door or sedan may suit 240k also, original c210 electric fender mirrors in black (not chrome), and some centerlines for 4 stud Datsun. If anyone is interested I can give you his details. He is Melbourne based but will probably post.

PM me for his number and you can haggle! He copped a bit of a pounding from customs this trip, so the prices are bound to be a little on the steep side. The mirrors come up on importmonster with a C210 search sometimes too, but the commission, GST and double postage make that a fairly expensive adventure as well.

No, it's a fair call. $250 is hell of a lot to pay for mirrors, and I don't think $175 from Tokoyo-to-you or whoever is exactly a bargain either. Still, flights to Japan, shipping, customs etc all add up. Even asking for a fairly high price for JDM stuff it's hard to do much more than break even. My friend who bought back one pallatte of goodies; an stock L20 turbo engine for his C210, and the stuff in the pictures, had to pay $1000 in customs duty alone. D'oh!

Toyko to you is the importer on ebay, I just couldn't bring myself to pay the $175 either. I'd rather spend the money on performance mods than looks.

I was intending to do a trip to Japan in a few years to search out parts like these, it's sad to hear how much you get stung for when bringing them back into the country.

No, it's a fair call. $250 is hell of a lot to pay for mirrors, and I don't think $175 from Tokoyo-to-you or whoever is exactly a bargain either. Still, flights to Japan, shipping, customs etc all add up. Even asking for a fairly high price for JDM stuff it's hard to do much more than break even. My friend who bought back one pallatte of goodies; an stock L20 turbo engine for his C210, and the stuff in the pictures, had to pay $1000 in customs duty alone. D'oh!

I was under the impression if what you import is under $400 ish AU dollars, you don't pay import tax, I didn't pay any tax on my Megasquirt, my Wideband AFR, or my Turbo bits from the US..

If I imported them all in the one go, I would assume, I would pay import taxes.

so buy in small quantities, you should be ok

Nigel

I was chatting with another Skyliner who was shipping small parts for his Skyline project regularly from Japan... eventually customs pulled him up - they had flagged the high number of items going to his address. So you can get pinged for shipping in bulk OR shipping too often! If I was in Japan I'd be breaking all the goodies into medium sized lots and posting them to several friends addresses. Shipping would be slightly higher, but you'd be less likely to get savaged by customs... at least that's my theory. Maybe someone who has had experience with importing parts can shed some light...

Interestingly, my mate (who doesn't speak Japanese, and has a friend translate for him), has had a real pig of a time actually purchasing parts. The Japanese sometimes have the parts, but wont sell them to him due to embarrassment about the lanuage barrier, or they aren't happy about the parts going overseas, etc. They often refuse to pull parts from a wrecked car like would happen at a wrecker here, and don't believe in discounting bulk purchases. There's some pretty huge cultural differences to get your head around before you go!

Thanks for the info guys, I'll bear it in mind when I go over (which won't be for a while).

Now I think about it all I really need from Japan is the mirrors and carbon fiber body panels and I'm not in a rush to get any of them, It would be a lot nicer just to get my K registered again.