SAU Community

What not to say when the cops pull you over

Leewah

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding was police only have the right to search a car (including under the bonnet) if they belive Drugs or illigal firearms/wepons are present in the car.

right or wrong??

Or radar detectors, correct.

In my experience though, the coppers will always use this excuse to do a search of your car.... "You're young and you drive an expensive car - you must be a drug dealer."

Hasn't happened in my R33 though, only in my VL.

Are they even allowed to perform 'random roadworthy checks'?

they have the power to do what they please when they please, thanks steve

I have heard of people being defected for things like "Washer bottle not full" and "scratch on windscreen"

They f*ck you without using lube and you have to say thank you when its all over :ghost:

I havent been hassled by the police for months but for the 1st half of last year I got 'randomly' pulled over once a month!

Most of them were cool to talk to - no defects, didnt ask to look under the bonnet except once cause he thought he heard a atmo bov noise [long story]. They only did RBT's and talked a bit about cars in general. I am not a P plater, I don't have a ricey lookin car, I don't drive like a dick on the roads and I am polite to police and only respond if I can say something that won't incriminate myself, not that I have done anything wrong :)

hahah i found this book in an antique store called " the speeders guide to avoding tickets" its hilarious. It's written by a former cop (yank of course). But i talks about what to say to police, how radars work etc etc.... its quite a funny read. Might start a thread on that later.

• 4 months later...
Guest J-Spec Auto

I have some questions that would be great to have cleared up

one is on the radar and searching.

if the police suspect that you are using a radar then they can search your car right? you can also buy radar detecters that are built in to the front bar of the car so does that mean they can search under your bonnet if they suspect a radar there?

another one is that when you get pulled over and they suspect a bov and ask you to rev your car, what do you do?

also is it better practise to stay inside your vehicle or not?

The police can stop you and search you or your car any time that the officer feels a crime is/has been committed.

If he searches you, and finds drugs, stolen property, or illegal weapons, he was right, wasn't he ?

If he decides to go right through every inch of your car and finds anything illegal, he can do that too.

Best policy is say nothing, admit to nothing. He then has to produce the evidence. Later on a smart lawyer might make things sound not quite so bad, and you may get lucky.

But if your car is illegally modified, or the copper discovers a murdered corpse and a shovel in the boot, too bad......

the police can inspect any car at any time that is on the road, or they believe will be used on the road to ensure it is roadworthy. thats more than enough reason to pop the bonnet to look for illegal mods (which would make the car unroadworthy)