SAU Community

What not to say when the cops pull you over

Leewah

na got done for non related matters to road offences, had a couple of things in my position that where lets say a little warm.

Also been done by motor bike cop for not having my licence plant's reflect enough

that was bs

na BUt really go to the legal aid web site has all the answers to all your road rule questions.

print it off keep it in your car, when a police offercer pulls u over get it out start reading it, when they ask you what u are reading simply say

"my Dad gave it to me, his a lawyer for the governement(hence legail aid document in hands).

or sometimes it's good to pretend that a relative of yours is a COP , police never do over one of there own kind.

www.legailaid.vic.gov.au

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

reaVehicle Searches and Inspections:

Under the Road Safety Act, if your vehicle is used on a highway you must allow a police member to inspect your vehicle if the member has reasonable grounds to suspect that the vehicle does not comply with legislation, and if there are no such grounds there is a power to stop and inspect under the Transport Act. The police may inspect the vehicle and engine identification numbers if they have reasonable cause to do so.

The police do not have a general power to search you or your vehicle, but under the Transport Act they have power to stop and inspect any motor vehicle, trailer and its load without reason to ensure compliance with the law (e.g. roadworthiness).

If the police have reason to suspect you are carrying a radar detector, they may inspect your vehicle to look for and confiscate it. (Penalty for carrying one is $2,000.00 max.)

The police do not have a power to search you or your vehicle merely to see if you are carrying anything irregular.

The police can enter your motor vehicle by force in order to arrest you (with cause) or request a breath test or ask you for your licence.

d this.

I think it would be rather funny to do proer sign language and deaf speak to a police officer after being pulled up - if you could keep from laughing!

Im sure they will feel sorry for you and let you go.....

Rev Zone, so in essence, they can still pop your bonnet under legislation if they know the law themselevs (TOG) regardless if you refuse.

Funkymonkey, how did you refuse the copper from opening your bonnet? Could you give descriptions word for word? interested to see how he didnt stop himself from opening it himself.

Depending on the reason why your getting pulled up, you can judge what to do in a police situation. Sometimes its good to clam up and say nothing if your actually guilty of something, but if your RBTd and getting your car inspected, its hte car thats 'guilty' not you so its probably better to chit chat, get on the good side etc.

Ive had some pretty pissed off cops that looked as if they were going to knock you out if you said anything wrong. Best to leave them alone and not taunt them as you might get into more trouble than you bargined for.

Thing is with the silent or "no comment" treatment, they go fine, write you out a ticket "have a nice day" and that is that. For many minor offences, by saying nothing they're still just going to give you the fine. I don't really see what that achieves unless you clearly weren't doing something wrong, or clearly you *know* you were doing something that is going to result in a court case.

They don't care either way whether you say something or not - they've written the ticket and they go on to the next one.

The whole bonnet thing just has to be "reasonable suspicion".. simple as that. It is a new law that was brought into Victoria a couple of years back. Before then you probably had the right to refuse - now I don't think you have that right.

And there is something about "obeying the lawful instruction of a police officer" when you are pulled over, so basically if they say "do" you have to do it.

• 1 year later...

A friend was doing 120 or something in a 60 zone, cop pulled him up, he said his name address, gave him his license when asked.. the cop asked him why he was speeding he said nothing, cop asked him did he know how fast he was going he said nothing, cop wrote him a ticket for doing 80 in a 60 zone (what he clocked him at)...

that worked out well for him i guess!

way to get out the shovel Kaz! :P hehe, seriously, thanks, it's good read.

Can you ask the copper to prove their 'reasonable suspicion'? As in, 'what is your suspicion for wanting to look under my bonnet?'

• 1 month later...
always carry one of em micro dictation thingy's in your car  when the coppa comes around start recording...

usually in a situation like this, sumfin like that can throw the copper off, he no longer has the freedom to say what he wants, he'll need to choose his words carefully.

You gotta pretty much treat it like a debate, throw the opponent off, and say only what you need to prove your point or to be courteous, don't say any more.

I agree with funky, the donut will know your not playing around and im sure the outcome will be most likely more pleasent!!

On a similar note i keep a disposable camera in my car its more incase of an accident. But im sure there might be a way it would come in handy with the cops 2.

Cheers

A friend of mine informed me that as of 2005 aftermarket pod filters and blow off valves on cars in Victoria are now legal. It seems to check out rather well because another friend of mine was pulled over by the cops recently. He was driving his turbo lancer and was pulled over at about 3am. The cops gave him a canary because his tyres werent roadworthy, ride height too low and his exhaust was too loud. At no point did the cops ask him to open the bonnet let alone question him about any engine modifications. BOV's are becoming way to common for the Police to actually control anymore.

I read through the thread but must have missed it. sorry if its there.

But do the police have the right to search your engine bay if you denie them the right. My understanding was police only have the right to search a car (including under the bonnet) if they belive Drugs or illigal firearms/wepons are present in the car.

right or wrong??