SAU Community

Legal Issues With Cai

_bobo_

Adam posted up a very interesting make your own cold air intake where he cut into the chassis of the engine bay. just wondering is this gonna cause any problems with police issuing defects??

i was thinking of doing it since i have a black car so if a cop pulls me over and looks i already have a box covering it, plus pod is large so they might not be able to see the hole.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Ne...ke-t208470.html

They might not be able to see the hole but they can see the pod which is defectable if you have a fmic too. All depends on the cop. Some say that cutting holes is illegal but some dont care as long as the hole is infront of the chassis rails. Just luck who you get

I have used that style of cai in my car for the last 7yrs and never had an issue. With the way things have been going recently such holes/modification are illegal and can be defected. As Bennett stated; "Just luck who you get".

hey buddy... glad my thread got you thinking.

so far I have not had a problem yet and a fair few cops have stuck their head under my bonnet....

I have been really happy with the setup, definetly a noticeable difference in power when doing speeds of 80km/h or faster and it barely cost me anything.

tinted perspex with a tight box must seem to do the trick....

gl with it! pm me if you need any help

check out my heatsheild setup to :)

I would be really interested to find out how many people have boxed pods and intercoolers and haven't had problems with the cops. I am currently running the stock airbox but would prefer to run a boxed pod. Currently I cant use the snorkel as it fouls on intercooler piping and the box makes weird 'phunk' like noises. Is it worth the risk of changing?

i have a n/a so having a pod isnt a issue as its the only intake mod.

i have it in a box *pic below*..

i might give it a shot just going to be bit worried about drilling hole in my car lol

post-38129-1231131995_thumb.jpg

post-38129-1231132130_thumb.jpg

Up to you wether you want to take the risk. 1 cop might not care/ notice. Another one could defect you for it then you have to put the stock airbox on and clear the defect so its up to you wether you think its worth your while. And just because it has a box over it, doesnt mean its legal.

Up to you wether you want to take the risk. 1 cop might not care/ notice. Another one could defect you for it then you have to put the stock airbox on and clear the defect so its up to you wether you think its worth your while. And just because it has a box over it, doesnt mean its legal.

It's not so much the defect that I'm worried about but the EPA. It's all the other stuff that would have to come off/be put on. From what I have experienced so far. It just doesn't seem to be worth the risk trying to run a boxed pod. I just get so pissed off worrying about something that really is so petty and minor. These police irritate me immensely at times and I can't help but think they love it too.

I know how ya feel mate. I run a pod without a box and have never been epa'd. If you dont think its worth it then dont do it. Although if you make the cover/box over the pod well enough and stock looking then i doubt you will ever get done for a pod.

ive had no problem when cops see the box, cause i think the rule was that

a. can only be 1 intake mod ( cooler or pod)

b. if it was a pod it had to be either connected to chassis with bracket or in a box.

so all im asking now is about having a hole underneath cut into the chassis under the pod as to have air feeding up into it.

ive had no problem when cops see the box, cause i think the rule was that

a. can only be 1 intake mod ( cooler or pod)

b. if it was a pod it had to be either connected to chassis with bracket or in a box.

so all im asking now is about having a hole underneath cut into the chassis under the pod as to have air feeding up into it.

yeah i got done by the cops because i had both cooler and pod and I talked to my engineer and he said box the pod and it should be ok.

Also depending on the model of the car some of them have holes already from previous piping... my R33 has got 2 pr 3 factory cut holes approx 80mm wide. It bring cold air into the box from the wheel arch.