SAU Community

Intercooler Piping - Defected

lukebaldan

Yes but will fixing the hole really make the car roadworthy? Just all comes down to how picky the road worthy guy is. I have been defected 6 times now and everytime i have had a hole in the side of my battery with a "chrome" pipe going straight through it but never been defected for it. 4 of those times i got a roadworthy with the hole still there and passed each time. The other 2 times i didnt need a road worthy so i took it to burwood vicroads and some guy came out and checked the whole car over and was extremely picky (he even checked things i wasnt defected for in the first place and took photos of the whole car). But he let me leave with a whole in the battery tray because its infront of the chassis rails and not "structual". Heaps of guys out there have holes in the battery tray and have never been done for it. If you want to get the hole fixed and buy a return flow cooler im not gonna try and talk you out of it. Its the smart idea. Its just luck of the draw what cop you get and what mood he's in.

Oops just saw the last post lol. How much did it cost to get engineered?

And was he just engineering the hole being fixed up?

Basically the engineering certificate approves the hole as a valid modification.

The engineer spent a fair buit of time taking photos and inspecting everything closely.

The VASS cert says the following:

"Assessment of modification to sheet metal of front inner apron tray to fit intercooler plumbing. The nature of this change and proximity to primary frontal structual members is not considered to have any noticeable adverse affect on the vehicle's structual integrity in relation to safety and crashworthiness.

NOTE - Original bumper iron retained and original mounting; Vehicle fitted with OEM airbag."

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great news!!

Can you please PM me the Engineer's details?

Sounds like he is very reasonable.

PS: Sorry for stressing you out in my first post, but this is honestly the first time i heard of an engineer approving the mod with an airbag equipped car, even though the mod does not compromise the structural integrity of the front end.

So you didn't get the hole patched up and he OK'd it?? nice work..

i'd like to know who it is too..the only reason I havent got a front mount is because i didnt want to butcher a hole through and have issues like this later on...

Basically the engineering certificate approves the hole as a valid modification.

The engineer spent a fair buit of time taking photos and inspecting everything closely.

The VASS cert says the following:

"Assessment of modification to sheet metal of front inner apron tray to fit intercooler plumbing. The nature of this change and proximity to primary frontal structual members is not considered to have any noticeable adverse affect on the vehicle's structual integrity in relation to safety and crashworthiness.

NOTE - Original bumper iron retained and original mounting; Vehicle fitted with OEM airbag."

Thats awesome! So the guy at vicroads was right in saying that mine was ok. How much did it end up costing you for the engineers certificate?

More hassles!

Just went to VicRoads.

Waited 40 minutes enduring some of the worst BO i've ever encountered.

The new roadworhty i got has the oringinal rego on it (I put custom plates on the car the day i bought it). The defect has the correct rego on it.

The lady obviously didn't accept it, needless to say i was slightly annoyed.

Going to get everything sorted out tomorrow morning. (Get the road worthy amended with the new plate).

Cannot wait to this is over!

Great news!!

Can you please PM me the Engineer's details?

Sounds like he is very reasonable.

PS: Sorry for stressing you out in my first post, but this is honestly the first time i heard of an engineer approving the mod with an airbag equipped car, even though the mod does not compromise the structural integrity of the front end.

also pm the engineer if you dont mind

cheers

Hey sorry to hijack this thread, Congrats on clearing the defect, I've had to do the whole VASS certficate thing to and it was a pain!

Anyway I was wondering, I'm looking at getting one of those stealth intercoolers to but what's this reo bar?

Is there anyway around it? I really want to avoid being defectable as much as I can so I figured a stealth cooler would be the way to go.

Now I don't know what to do!

Thanks.

Hey sorry to hijack this thread, Congrats on clearing the defect, I've had to do the whole VASS certficate thing to and it was a pain!

Anyway I was wondering, I'm looking at getting one of those stealth intercoolers to but what's this reo bar?

Is there anyway around it? I really want to avoid being defectable as much as I can so I figured a stealth cooler would be the way to go.

Now I don't know what to do!

Thanks.

Hi Raik...

hijack away...it's your forum!!

(at the risk of getting flamed back to hell, I'll continue)

Do nothing! .....(just my advice)....

If I may, can I suggest that you keep your IC as stock as possible.....it will save you on legal drama's....(which are only going to get worse), and way more expensive to rectify, by you, the 'so-called' hoon. (which mostly, we are not!!)

In my experience, your car will see little or no benefits (you may even go backwards in performance).... unless you plan on racing it.....in which case you'll need to look for a better gearbox, wheels and brakes, ecu, fuel system, oil system...etc etc.etc.$$$$$$$$$$$

If you plan on racing, please let me know, and I will become a fan instantly....if not, save your dosh and go for mods that will enhance the braking and handling performance of your vehicle....Make it look sharp, have a look at some nice fuel pumps, get some nice wheels for it (if u haven't already, that are legal), get your car optimised with a tune on a dyno..(guys are gaining 20-50 rwkw by just servicing their cars!!)

There is no such thing as 'stealth' anything...and we have proved that again within this forum....the police now know what to look for, and they aren't getting any easier on us!.....(they have a job to do, and by god, they'll bloody well do it!)

Just as a side note RaikKonen, my R33 with standard IC was actually faster than my brother's current R34 (this threads originator) .....(Luke, say nothing!).....at legal freeway speeds...maybe on a race track, things would be different, I'll never know though.

Anyway, I hope that I don't get 'flamed' over my writing, but it was a bloody hassle and quite draining (for my little bro) to get such a simple thing checked and verified as safe...not to mention the cash and my own personal time to organise an engineer....

But that's what we get when we own these things, then try to mod them to some stupid 'rice' spec, which can sometimes makes the car worse!!!..and definately make the police target you, even moreso!

Anyways...please enjoy, and I hope this thread has opened some realities, while squashing some bullshit!

My bro and I started this thread to help newer/younger Line owners, and in some small way, give something small back to this community, our Skyline community.

Cheers,

Spit.

Thanks for the advice superspit it will definitely taken into consideration.

I've had my car for nearly 4 year's now and I love it so selling is not an option, but I do want a some more power,

I've been doing research for hours upon hours in the last few weeks to get my car quicker and keep it looking as stock (engine bay) as possible.

My heart was set on one of these stealth coolers, I thought I'd found my unicorn. But now I see there still issues with them in regards to this reo bar which I'm still trying to figure out what it is lol.

If I can get Adam Pettet to scratch his head when he looks in my engine bay I'll be happy, I do know he's thorough from experience.

Thanks for the reply anyway :down:

I've had my car for nearly 4 year's now and I love it so selling is not an option, but I do want a some more power,

I've been doing research for hours upon hours in the last few weeks to get my car quicker and keep it looking as stock (engine bay) as possible.

My heart was set on one of these stealth coolers, I thought I'd found my unicorn. But now I see there still issues with them in regards to this reo bar which I'm still trying to figure out what it is lol.

If I can get Adam Pettet to scratch his head when he looks in my engine bay I'll be happy, I do know he's thorough from experience.

Thanks for the reply anyway :down:

ok, cool.

Now we just got to figure out if a 'head-scratching' police officer is worth more than the $500 plus he'll make you spend on nothing.

Cheers man.

Spit.

Thanks for the reply anyway :)

Hey buddy, the front bar reo is short for reinforcement and it sits directly behind the front bumper and both supports the front bar and adds protection in front on accidents etc. Most people cut it up when installing front mount intercoolers to alow for bigger openings in the front bars, and more air flow to the intercooler. This is illegal but hard to prove as its hard to see in there and its not as obvious as the hole in the battery tray (but still illegal none the less). I myself did not need to cut the front bar reo at all to fit a front mount intercooler but i did however cut the battery tray :) . If you were to install the front mount intercooler so as you dont need to cut the front bar reo and fit your stealth cooler which im assuming is return flow then your car will still be 100% legal.

Hope that helps and good luck with your search for more power.. :)

im yet to see him, dont really want to. bit of a money drought atm

daily driver if i head to knox shops

yep...Ford Festiva powa!...ummm...er...my daily driver.

Hope you sort out your money shit!..that sux!.