SAU Community

Rb25/30 Gt35r Help Needed R33 Skyline Gts-t

Hi Guys,

I'll be getting my RB25/30 conversion done soon, and I just wanted to confirm with you fellas some prices my mechanic quoted me for.

RB30 bottom end with Forged pistons (I forgot what brand, I'll get back to you on this one) with forged rods, all fitted and machined ready to be bolted on the head of the RB25 - $8,700

GT35R 0.82 A/R housing, 38mm external gate, with the manifold to fit thr RB30 and oil lines from GCG for $3,700

$1,300 for plazmaman plenum

$600 for contruction of new dump pipe and some cooler piping

mechanic estimated around $2,000 for labor to fit everything and tune it.

Do these prices sound about right to you guys? All up that around $16,300.

I already have the cams, injectors, fuel pump, PFC, exhaust, front mount etc etc.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't $8,700 for a fully forged RB30 engine a little too expensive?

yeah thats sounds pretty exspensive. $8,700

a great set of pistons should be under $1500, rods well under $1500... i'm guessing stock crank just polished or something, ACL race series bearings, mmm not % sure what they are worth to fill out a RB30. guessing a few hundred. machining costs.... and oil + water pump gasket kit..arp stud kit maybe?

mate unless you are getting the best of the bloody best thats sound rather dear.

you'd wanna be getting some high end pistons rods, rings and bearings and a high end oil & water pump.

only thing is you say "all fitted and machined ready to be bolted on the head of the RB25"

is this including the head work or is that just "ready" for you to bolt a stock 25 head on??

Sack the idea of using a GCG manifold. Buy something else. I recommend a steampipe deal from ETM (Extreme Turbo Manifolds). He makes tonnes of them to suit RB30DET's and knows exactly where things need to go on a 33 gtst to keep it all under the bonnet. Truly worth the dollars spent (and it doesn't sound like it would be that much extra judging by the dollars you've quoted.

Link is in my sig.

$3700 for a turbo kit seems pretty extreme..

My turbo setup (going on very soon) cost me:

GT35R 0.82ex - $1600 (new but not from a store, at the time the turbo new from MTQ was ~$1850)

TiAl 44mm gate - $420

High mount manifold - $150 (came off a mates car, not as quality as a 6boost or ETM but makes the numbers)

Oil/Water lines - Will be getting Enzed guy out, am anticpating ~$200

I guess if the exhaust manifold included is a 6boost or ETM item then it's not too bad, if it's a china manifold then you're getting ripped off :P

$3700 for a turbo kit seems pretty extreme..

My turbo setup (going on very soon) cost me:

GT35R 0.82ex - $1600 (new but not from a store, at the time the turbo new from MTQ was ~$1850)

TiAl 44mm gate - $420

High mount manifold - $150 (came off a mates car, not as quality as a 6boost or ETM but makes the numbers)

Oil/Water lines - Will be getting Enzed guy out, am anticpating ~$200

I guess if the exhaust manifold included is a 6boost or ETM item then it's not too bad, if it's a china manifold then you're getting ripped off :P

Ok, so for the $3,700 from GCG, you get the following:

GT3540 0.82 A/R

TiAL 38mm gate

High mount Xtr manifold (Xtr is GCG's in house brand)

Oil and Water lines

Exhaust flange for turbo

Gaskets and nuts.

Do you fellas think this price is reasonable?

Also, will a 38mm gate be large enough for my application (RB25/30 with the GT35R 0.82) or would I require a 44mm gate?

Cheers

i think my high mount ETM was around the $1550, including the water and oil feed and return lines made by ETM and it was also ceramic coated, as was the exhaust housing.

looking at your pricing about $2200 for turbo and gate and $1500 for the rest.

i know what i would pick any day of the week

and i would also recomend 44mm gate as a minimum bigger the better really.

Ok, so for the $3,700 from GCG, you get the following:

GT3540 0.82 A/R

TiAL 38mm gate

High mount Xtr manifold (Xtr is GCG's in house brand)

Oil and Water lines

Exhaust flange for turbo

Gaskets and nuts.

Do you fellas think this price is reasonable?

Also, will a 38mm gate be large enough for my application (RB25/30 with the GT35R 0.82) or would I require a 44mm gate?

Cheers

I've highlighted the bits I'd have an issue with. Also, in-house is very much the wrong word to use. They're the same as the better constructed China manifolds you can buy from ebay. They're not worth the money they charge and they don't work nearly as well as an ETM or 6boost manifold in terms of spool, wastegate flow, collector design, quality etc etc etc...

My best (and last) advice on the subject is to contact Leigh - [email protected] / +61 2 42628774 and ask for:

- High mount manifold to suit a GT35R/RB25/30/ECR33

- 44/45mm Turbosmart wastegate

- Oil and water line kit

Good luck mate.

All the best,

Adrian

Sizing of gate kind of depends on the boost you're going to run.. there's a big thread round here someone on the subject.

I believe it goes along the lines of (roughly), the less boost you want to run the bigger the gate you need (as you will need to bypass more exhaust gas from the turbine).

Short motor does seem a bit excessive..

As far as turbo set-up goes.

Mine all brand new

GT3540 1.06 A/R = $1500

6 boost manifold = $1000

Tial 44mm gate = $450

Edited by Tomek

How much power are you after? Do you really need forgies?

I would personally buy the RIPS standard RB30 for AU$3300 or spend $4300 with the head. They can probably beef it up a little if you want and will cost u a lot less than your quoted $8000+

How much power are you after? Do you really need forgies?

I would personally buy the RIPS standard RB30 for AU$3300 or spend $4300 with the head. They can probably beef it up a little if you want and will cost u a lot less than your quoted $8000+

I am aiming for 370 + rwkw.

So forgies are a must.