SAU Community

Got Over 400kw Atw?

T04GTR

-10s are cheap and for the 3ltr the ultimate low combination for the street. Ppl that have built rb26/30s know this :)

I disagree man. -5's are cheaper, come on SO MUCH EARLIER and still make well over 400. Peaky, laggy (not saying your's was laggy) but imagine coming on ATLEAST 1000 RPM earlier and making 430+. Average power > peaky power.

I'm not posting my last graphs as they're not finished tunes, but I will say this; they come on earlier than Paul's do and don't drop off in the top end with my cams. I'll never own a set of GTRS's again or the garrett version either.

I don't understand why this stupid argument keeps coming up? Surely we put it to bed already?

a guy who got his ar buit at same place as mine has rb26/30 with twin hks 2530's (pretty much -5's) on pump 98 making 450kw (shafts pulled so rear wheel )on mainline dyno on 25psi and over 1000nm , would be pretty damn responsive too!! but big money invested ,, pretty sure hes running a dog box and all the goodies

a guy who got his ar buit at same place as mine has rb26/30 with twin hks 2530's (pretty much -5's) on pump 98 making 450kw (shafts pulled so rear wheel )on mainline dyno on 25psi and over 1000nm , would be pretty damn responsive too!!

what RPM is he making 25psi at?

450 is a big figure on 98!!!!

Paul, what do you think you would have made peak power with e85 and gtrs's?

-5s on my rb26 came on nice with mid range, on a 3ltr it would have been like a big block!

Marko, I have no idea. -5's on a 2.6 are still a bit 'meh' for my liking. Much better off with -9's/SS's. Having gone from RS's to -'s on a 2.8 it's the best thing I HAVE EVER DONE. I still feel like it lacks a tad low down grunt but the silly cams don't help. Put them on a 3.0 and OMFG. I have seen the graph (although not at full noise) and there is no comparison. NONE! If i build a 3.0 (and I may very soon) I can assure you I wouldn't put those things on the passenger side of the engine.

A perfect example is this. Last week out of UE there was a supra with a T04Z. Made something like 315 RWKW. Poor result yeah? Pitty he still had a standard cat and some crappy cat back. Any turbo setup needs the supporting mods to work. How many crap results do you see from -5's/2530's? HEAPS! Sort the setup out and I can Assure you.. i'll bet my car on it, that the setup on the street would be ruthless. 3.0, 2.9, 2.8.

Sorry MarkO I've got that engine, and have had those turbos, and there is no way I'd be calling them "ultimate".

I believe Ian - GTRNUR would agree with you also.

And funnily enough, for his new motor - he is putting on -5s as well.

How about that :merli:

I do agree with u paul :)

It also comes down to personal taste when we talk about 2.6 as I've had gtss's which I found boring...the -5s however were nice.

As u say its about having the right combo. I could pick up my turbo setup with larger cams but I think u can't go wrong with -5s, regardless of capacity.

Haha show me your results when its done and let's compare the 2 on 98.

There is no denying in bottom end from -5s...I'd like to see if there is a difference up top.

I'm certain I will switch mine to -5s on my ADM gtr quite soon, home Reno's are taking up all of my bandwidth + a second child on the way. How priorities change with age.

on a 3ltr it would have been like a big block!

I can't see how that's a bad thing? Twist EVERYWHERE. Who needs to go back a gear, just let the grunt pull you out. It won't 'feel' as fast, but you would be so much further down the road he won't catch you with his extra '20 kw'. My 5's don't feel as as 'fast' as the RS's but its so much easier to drive quickly with this setup. The fact that in places I am making 100 more says enough... and more top end. I can't see a downside?

b287ffe5.jpg

20 psi, pump 98, big engine. Sure some secrets in there but it shows the 'baby -5's' will do awsome numbers with unreal 'average' power. Something that alot of people forget.

-10s are cheap and for the 3ltr the ultimate low combination for the street. Ppl that have built rb26/30s know this :)

Although, even better than this would be a t51r if u want to lift the bar.

-5 beats -10 hands down, slightly less up top (marginal) but has massive increases down low.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• Define "Nissan big brakes". You just mean standard R34 4 pots? And...it's not even the offset you need to worry about. It's really a detail of how much clearance there is between the caliper and the back of the spoke/face, which is affected more by the design of the spoke than it is by the offset. If you think about it....take any wheel, say a 19x8 that does fit and clears the caliper. Then add or subtract an inch of wheel on the outside, without changing anything else. You have changed the offset by half an inch, but not changed the clearance situation at all. Same for if you add or subtract an inch from the inside edge. The way for you to work this out is to take a wheel off the car, grab a straight edge and a ruler or two, and start to measure the distances from the wheel mounting face on the hub to the outer face of the caliper, and the outer diameter (that faces the barrel of the wheel) of the caliper. Armed with these dimensions and any other measurement that grabs your fancy while you are there, you can then go to the seller of the wheels and do the reverse measurements from the wheel's mounting face and see if there will be clearance to the caliper. There really should be. I have 17x8 RPF1s +35 clearing the caliper face by a finger tip. Those wheels do have pretty thin spokes with some curvature.... but then so do most wheels to suit Jap cars.
    • So I’ve got a r34 sedan that I managed to get green stickered, meaning I need to go through government approved wof station for my car to be allowed back on the road for some reason my car is certed for 19x8 rims.. I need these wheels  does anyone know what offset will be fine to clear Nissan big brakes? I saw 35et for sale near me, I can’t drive the car to test fit or risk being fined ..   I searched heaps online couldn’t find anywhere..
    • Okay, with all that being said about sloppy blowing from twins, I happily acknowledge the superiority of a single turbo setup on the RB; however, I still plan on double trouble.  I know the -9s were quite popular for some time because they seemed to meet that sweet spot between the -7s and 5s, would introducing VCAM and/or stroking to 2.8L provide the additional displacement/flow to push twins closer to the 500-600 goal?  Does it make more sense for a daily to just do an engine overhaul, slap some -7s on it and enjoy a bit more reliable power?  Has anyone driven a mine's overhauled and tuned engine?  I know they certainly don't approach the power numbers that you drag monsters do down under, but for daily street usage, I just want it to be fun and healthy.
    • Mmmm. Perhaps more correctly stated that the one turbo doesn't actually force air back down the throat of the other. All it does, and all it has to do, is be pumping a little harder than the other turbo (which is an effect of how the turbos are getting driven by the exhaust and inherent resistance to output air flow that each turbo sees up to the merge). If the turbo that is not flowing quite as much then nudges the stall line (because it gets pushed there by the higher flowing one stealing the limelight and moving its own operating point further from the stall line), then you get the behaviour described by Josh. There is no need for air to move backwards in any way. It just needs to be less air moving forwards than is required to stay to the right of the surge line.
    • GTX2860R Gen 2 is an option. No, it doesn't actually do much. The basic problem with wanting 600 whp out of the factory twin turbo setup is a few things. One is that the twin turbo piping is just so, so inefficient. The front and rear turbos are not actually working evenly. The rear turbo is always moving more air than the front. On top of this the OEM rear compressor inlet is rubber that likes to collapse causing a huge intake restriction. The merge doesn't even wait until the intercooler to happen, and it happens at a 90 degree angle. This is why you see some discussion about "turbo shuffle", where in certain conditions one turbo can actually force air to go backwards into the other compressor and stall it out, then once the other turbo recovers it stalls out the first turbo in a cycle until you do something to break out of it. The other issue is that the RB26 is just not that efficient an engine. It needs a surprising amount of ignition timing to reach MBT for a given cylinder pressure so all that time in which the cylinder is pressurizing before TDC is just wasted energy. An N54 might be around 10 degrees BTDC on a stock turbo getting into the boost. An RB26 is closer to 25 BTDC. Net effect is a turbo roughly the size of what HKS uses on the GTIII-SS (smaller than the R3/GCG Japan "GT2860-1" -7s) is only good for maybe 550 crank hp or low 400 whp while a roughly comparable turbo on an N54 can deliver something like 700 crank hp and obviously drivetrain losses are greatly reduced when you aren't burning a bunch of power on keeping a hydraulic pump + transfer case preloaded all the time. So yes, you can make a lot of power but there's a reason why people go single turbo for the numbers you're asking about. Don't forget that the RB26 can't even do a straight line pull without oil starving on the stock oil pan either. Baffles can help, but really you just need more oil capacity.