SAU Community

Got Over 400kw Atw?

T04GTR

Your running rwd though aren't u Dave?

That extra tractive effort that the front wheels give are what give the box a harder time

True, but I use MT's all the time now, holds traction in second (when warm).

Hell of alot of load IMO, but yes driving style would have to be one of the biggest factors.

i also ran the 1/4 mile with a stock box in my previous gtr which made 320awkw & managed a 11.1 sec with 129.75mph.

that was my last run, however, i crossed the line in 3rd gear & was bouncing on the limiter & my 60 footer wasn't that good (1.6sec?)

considering the relatively low power level i had at the time (hks gtss @ 23psi) that car was capable of a 10sec pass, but unfortunately i fudged it over the line :(

breaking boxes i think comes down to the driver & treating the box with respect, i.e. no flat changing

good time for that power and 1.6 isn't a bad 60 foot, but 129mph in 3rd ?

Plenty of room for improvement, Jez.

Quickest on stock box is mid 9's with over 550rwkw!

what car is that out of interest?

And yes, driving style makes a big difference to box survival...couple that with the fact that most of the boxes are over 20 years old.

age is also a big factor after talking to terry @ award diff about this in the past

good time for that power and 1.6 isn't a bad 60 foot, but 129mph in 3rd ?

i also ran MT drag radials which have a larger rolling diameter, how accurate is the timing equipment @ WSID?

my relatively certain that my limiter back then was set to 9krpm (i know it was a tad lower than my 3ltr which was set to 9.5krpm)

i actually have a pic of my car on my old HD and it looked fat with those MT's - i couldn't believe how much it filled out the guards with the 16's.

i also have my timeslip - i'll dig it out, if only i can remember where ive stored it after major home renovations.

Dave, how are you finding the MT's for regular street driving?

Unreal! Not going back to street tyres on the rear.

They are 275/17s at 20psi, im hunting around for some in 18s to throw on my street rims.

Stock box in my 430rwkw GTR, so far has done approx 2500kms of track work. Not a problem with the box, survives 2nd gear tyre warmups on slicks and 8000rpm launches with an OS GIken triple plate. Mechanical sympathy is a must - and far cheaper than a replacement box..... Of note this setup has not been on the drag strip (no track in SA) and I realise that a proper hookup on a prep'd track would probably kill it :-)

Stock box in my 430rwkw GTR, so far has done approx 2500kms of track work. Not a problem with the box, survives 2nd gear tyre warmups on slicks and 8000rpm launches with an OS GIken triple plate. Mechanical sympathy is a must - and far cheaper than a replacement box..... Of note this setup has not been on the drag strip (no track in SA) and I realise that a proper hookup on a prep'd track would probably kill it :-)

This warms my heart <3

Has anyone here cryo treated their box ?

I've been told it's effective but have my reservations.

This warms my heart <3

Has anyone here cryo treated their box ?

I've been told it's effective but have my reservations.

Yes, both gervaise and I had our box's cryo treated at Dans insistence.

both car make over 400 kw's and both get dragged and circuit driven and have done for 3 years with zero gearbox issues.

Does it work, How do you prove it. You can only disprove it by breaking the box and that has not happenned to date so I'm going with a resounding yes! It does work.