SAU Community

Video Cameras For Motorsport Use

Roy

Yeah RadCam is mint. Too easy Nd awesome pic. Initial battery charge takes forever. I thin that's where a couple of whinges have come from, lack of charge.

Hardwired the pov and have never needed to think/worry about battery charge!

Hardwired the pov and have never needed to think/worry about battery charge!

The good thing with the Radcam is that is already comes with a free 12 volt car charger and you have the advantage that it will still keep recording even if the power is disconnected e.g. in an accident. If that happens with the POV, then the clip will be corrupted.That's why I don't recommend the power pack for the POV.

If I crash badly enough that the 30cm cable between the camera and the battery is severed the last thing I'm going to be worrying about is losing video feed!!

Edited by DCIEVE

Ok, so if I was to get the radcam what would be the best way to integrate a gps based data logger with it? I like the idea of the vbox, although in this digital age don't know if I could live with no HD.

Basically will the radcam integrate with a data logger and have the one sd card with all the info and video footage on there?

I use TrackVision to put data over my video. Put your datalog, and video into the software and sync it, and you get the video+gauges out the other end.

Edited by sav man

I use TrackVision to put data over my video. Put your datalog, and video into the software and sync it, and you get the video+gauges out the other end.

Herer's a good exapmle of just that with a RadCam

Thanks Mark for checking my link out.

I am using DashWare http://www.dashware.net/ which is $50 (bit less with the strong dollar), and a QStarz BT-Q1000eX 5Hz GPS Logger (about $199).

Its simply a matter of syncing the video and data in DashMate and setting a start finish point, then chosing (or making your own gauges).

Its more difficult for rally defining your start and finish points, but if your just circuit racing you just define the start/finish point and it will calculate your laps, and you can choose to ignore out and in laps etc.

the QStarz GPS also comes with good software for analysis called QRacing. which will overlay 3 laps at a time and give you analysis which may help for getting your times down.

I use the old Go Pro camera, the non HD one , comes out allright apart from the sound , thats why i use my Iphone to record the sound , then sinc it with the video at home , comes out nice !

Youtube does lower the quality abit though.

All im seeing is videos from inside the car, any $300+ camera can do that efficiently.... where are all the external videos?

All im seeing is videos from inside the car, any $300+ camera can do that efficiently.... where are all the external videos?

You mean from track side? Its not that easy to get someone to stand in the middle of no where for a day to film for 30 minutes in the forest!

BUT

About 0:45 is our car and again at 2:10 you have to hear it!

Im hoping to get a few 'dedicated' guys some cameras and place them through the stages.

We've used the Radcam extensively both for out of car and in car. If you check out our youtube channel (www.youtube.com/puremotorsport) you'll find a lot of footage.

RaceRecall are easy to deal with and the kit you get really provides you with everything you need. Suction mounts are amazing for drifting!

I am using DashWare http://www.dashware.net/ which is $50 (bit less with the strong dollar), and a QStarz BT-Q1000eX 5Hz GPS Logger (about $199).

Its simply a matter of syncing the video and data in DashMate and setting a start finish point, then chosing (or making your own gauges).

Its more difficult for rally defining your start and finish points, but if your just circuit racing you just define the start/finish point and it will calculate your laps, and you can choose to ignore out and in laps etc.

the QStarz GPS also comes with good software for analysis called QRacing. which will overlay 3 laps at a time and give you analysis which may help for getting your times down.

So is it actually a simple process? ie able to be done by the average bear

And I take it that Dashmate is basically an "enabler" that lets you combine the two lots of data

If so, how/where do you get the input of rpm/throttle/brake?

Or do you just run with a GPS data feed which will presumably show speed and G?

It would be a good thing with a breadcrumbs style overlay showing either track position, or location through a special stage. GPS feed should allow that to happen too?