SAU Community

Another N1 Oil Pump Thread

1SLP80

Hey guys,

I just gave my RB25 a freshen up. In the list of things that got done, a N1 oil pump installed. My question is directed at oil pressure. Before the install my oil pressure sat at 110kpa, which is spot on when warm. After the N1 was installed i noticed that my oil pressure is much higher - 190kpa when warm.

What are your thoughts?

Surely the oil pump has caused the pressure increase..........? is this good, bad or nothing...

what are the affects of excessive pressure and how much is too much

Idle oil pressure is not so important. As long as clean oil is flowing and you have at least 5psi at idle then the engine will not fail as a result.

it is better that you have 190kpa (27.5psi) at warm idle. There is no real 'too much' amount but if I were going to say 'geez that's a bit high', it would be at around 275kpa (40psi). Pressure above 110psi can sometimes lead to issues with seals etc but normally that kind of pressure is only at cold start and/or full throttle with a shimmed high flowing pump - and even then it's only for a short period.

Make sure you have 275kpa (40psi) at around 2500-3000rpm, 410kpa(60psi) at around 4000-6000rpm.

Anything over 6000rpm, try to ensure you have at least 60psi but not so important as long as your revs stay under 7000rpm.

Also keep in mind the thickness of your oil has much more impact on oil pressure than changing the pump (n1 has pretty close to std pressure, some others like tomei are higher than those). Are you using the same oil as before?

N1 definitely runs much higher pressures when stock, but I believe they have a 100psi relief spring as I never see over 100psi (100 on cold start, when warm 10psi @ idle and 100psi over 5000rpm).

Yeh myt oil is always old, i change every 5000kms or 3 months and before and after every track day. Im using castrol edge sport 0w-40 atm. I always use 0w-40, but im thinking i might run thicker w50/w60 at the track.

At idle its 190kpa like i mentioned, at WOT when warm, im sure i see over 600kpa. Can double check today as my gauges have recall

Idle oil pressure is not so important. As long as clean oil is flowing and you have at least 5psi at idle then the engine will not fail as a result.

it is better that you have 190kpa (27.5psi) at warm idle. There is no real 'too much' amount but if I were going to say 'geez that's a bit high', it would be at around 275kpa (40psi). Pressure above 110psi can sometimes lead to issues with seals etc but normally that kind of pressure is only at cold start and/or full throttle with a shimmed high flowing pump - and even then it's only for a short period.

Make sure you have 275kpa (40psi) at around 2500-3000rpm, 410kpa(60psi) at around 4000-6000rpm.

Anything over 6000rpm, try to ensure you have at least 60psi but not so important as long as your revs stay under 7000rpm.

I just gave it a strap in 2nd on the way to get brekkie, i got 620kpa (90psi?) at 6100rpm. Thats ok isnt it? As long as itr doesnt go over 110 psi.

This is my drift car too btw.

I just gave it a strap in 2nd on the way to get brekkie, i got 620kpa (90psi?) at 6100rpm. Thats ok isnt it? As long as itr doesnt go over 110 psi.

This is my drift car too btw.

That's good.

Anything around that or up to 110 is fine really. Even over 110 is fine but its less desirable. Your pressure is good.