SAU Community

Supercharged Stagea

Also, don't forget if your turbo is set at 10psi and the SC runs 10psi max boost, there is a potential 20psi there at some point of overlap in the rev range. Also, your turbo pumping 10psi is now fighting against 20psi which wants to go back the other way.

would not the turbo waste gate open and only allow 10psi???

It can be done. I helped do it to a mate's 200B SSS with SR20DET many years ago. Just plumb the compressed air after turbo compressor housing and before the intercooler.

The supercharger should go higher with boost. 10psi is low imo. Get the specs and see what the max rpm the turbo can go to. Then match that to the engine's max rpm. For example, SC max 9,000 rpm vs engine max 6,000rpm means a pulley ratio of 2:3 maximum. But I'd drop 1,000rpm on the SC to be safe, so 6,000 to 8,000 = 3:4 ratio (SC completes 4 revs per 3 engine revs). This can be altered by pulley sizes on the SC.

But don't forget some SC are teflon coated on the inside. Even if you've got a max 9,000rpm on the SC, an old or used SC will not be as reliable, so again drop 500-1,000rpm off your max.

Also, don't forget if your turbo is set at 10psi and the SC runs 10psi max boost, there is a potential 20psi there at some point of overlap in the rev range. Also, your turbo pumping 10psi is now fighting against 20psi which wants to go back the other way. I'd recommend 6psi SC for low down response and 10psi on the turbo for mid-top end. The SC is pulley driven so it will be fine against 16psi, but again keep in mind the coating on the rotors in the SC.

I have no more documented stuff on this build, so see if you can find over the net some forum or detailed log of a build similar to this.

I've worked with superchargers and turbos before, so shoot me a PM if you want some further tips.

Another we drew up, but never built, was running the SC inlet from the turbo compressor, so the SC is in between the induction side of the turbo and intercooler. But you'd want to match things properly. Say max rpm from the supercharger to handle the boost from the turbo when at its max. But then a second intercooler between turbo and SC would be recommended. I fantisized about running turbo (@ 12psi max) then intercooler, then SC (@ 12psi max also, as long as this doesn't exceed the max rpm for SC), then second intercooler then plenum. This way the SC provides an early boost, which also aids speeding up spinning the turbo, then the turbo hits max boost. Without risk of damaging the engine from overboosting. Food for thought ... wished I'd gone ahead with this idea years ago.

would u like to explain how you plan to keep the wastegate shut to 20psi if u have it set at 10psi??

if u have the turbo set to 10psi and the blower set at 10psi then the turbo wont do much as the wastegate will be open whenever the blower is at max boost. which will be long before the turbo starts making the same pressure. this is because the wastegate is controlled by manifold pressure. the turbo must be at a higher pressure, even if its only a few psi.

i ran a to4 turbo into a 476 blower on a speedway car many yrs ago using mechanical endlee methanol injection took a couple of seasons and a few blown motors but it went hard for what it was at the time 20 yrs ago lol 186 holden block 221 falcon crank bmw rods and arias pistons with a alloy phill irving head on top ,

i imagine with todays technolgy it would be easy to do every thing on that engine we had to machine up ourselves we had nothing to go by still it was always fun beating the v8 guys with a 6cyl they used to hate it lol

cheers mid life crisis

186 Holden block + 221 Falcon crank + BMW rods + Arias pistons = a very strange combination!!! I bet those BMW rods were tough though!

back then there was a few with the falcon cranks fitted gave you about 230 ci on a 186 block you had to bush the small end of the rod for the pistons to fit and we made them floating at the same time a while ago come racing was doing the stroker kits using the falcon crank but was yrs after we had done it lol

cheers dean