SAU Community

My R34 Gtr Purchase Story - Thanks Richard (beer Barron)

Ive recently aquired an R34 GTR (from Richard). Richard made the purchase process the best ive ever had when buying a car. I think a big part of it is that my purchase was from an enthuesiest that actually knows alot about the cars capabilities. Ie, not a guy that drives the car because its fast with an R badge. Richard was up front about everything with the car and was great to deal with.

The car was purchased in Sydney and then driven 2800km to Cairns in 2 days. The first day I left Sydney at 7am Friday morning (got lost in traffic for 2 hours), but made it to Brisbane around 6ish(QLD time) and on to Gympie at 10pm or so where I stayed for the first night.

I then left Gympie at 8am and made it to Cairns around 12:30-1am in the morning, Sunday. It wasnt my intention to drive right through like I did. I was going to stay at townsville, but finding a motel that has access for a low car was impossible. So in the end I said stuff it, bought a can of V and drove home to Cairns.

The drive was great. I listened to 26 albums saved to the hard disk in the fancy stereo that is in the car. If anyone read Richards forsale thread, the majority of the music was Japanese pop music, and japanese covers of some english songs as well. It was wierd listening to music that I couldnt understand, but I knew it was that 1970's song "Oh Mandy". I listened to a lot of rap music as well. Richard must be quite the fan of the pissed off black american rapper.

I was going to take pictures of the sights along the way but between having a crap camera, having crap photography skills, and occasionally busing out a rap about how pissed off I am about the rap music industry I just forgot.... I did get some good pics though.

The porsche dealership in sydney. I rarely get to see cars like this, and when I do they are standing out in a croud of commodores. Cairns prestiege cars are not seen in public too often. There is only one techart enhanced 997 up here, but thats not seen too frequently.

DSC01544.JPG

DSC01545.JPG

DSC01546.JPG

DSC01547.JPG

Envy Imports

A customised T51 spl for some dyno pig project

DSC01548.JPG

600kw R34 GTR

DSC01549.JPG

One of Richard's toys, an Rz RX7 twin turbo. Amazing car! Buy it now, may need new rear tyres. Definatly needs a holy shit bar or some racing harnesses.

DSC01551.JPG

The road trip back.

A very sweet R34 GTR spotted just south of the border (in NSW) rolling on 19x10's

DSC01555.JPG

Another skyline. With a driver that needs to learn about not flicking cigarettes out the window in a high risk fire time... not to mention that I didnt apreciate having a lit cig bounce off the front of my car.

DSC01560.JPG

I cant remember where this was. I think it was south of Rocky. The road went on for ever and was dead flat. No I didnt do a top speed run... Plus I think the car still has the 180km limitor in it anyway. Wouldnt have minded driving the veilside R34 on this road though.

South of Rocky

DSC01563.JPG

South of Bowan, another road thats dead flat and boring as hell.

DSC01564.JPG

South of Air. Make a not to never visit there. The town sucks ass. They dont have any 98 octane at any of their service stations either. I visited 4 and then left town.

DSC01565.JPG

Come nightfall as I was entering Townsville around 8:30pm Saturday night the amout of bugs in the air was insane. The front of the GTR was covered in a layer of bug guts that was unbelievable. I had to stop and clean the windscreen every hour towards townsville. I'd also collected a frog at speed, that had managed to somehow fit itself in between the front bumper and lower grill (where there isnt a gap). He didnt come out in one piece when I was cleaning the car (no pictures of that).

I cant thank Richard enough for his help with the car and making my brief stay in Sydney a fun an interesting one. While there he showed me all of his expensive toys, chauffered me around in his Rz RX7 which had a slight sideways problem, the porsche dealership, an import tuning shop (Envy Imports) to seeing some more expensive stuff. He also arranged my accomodation at the Mecure hotel. He gave me a checkup phone call on Friday and Saturday nights to see how things were going with the drive and the car. The The only thing he didnt do was buy me a $2000/night call girl, but he did show me where the brothels were.

So I am very happy with the car, and love the Nismo suspension. I spent 1/2 the day today cleaning/detailing the car. Below are a few pics of it as it is at the moment. I will be fitting the new headlights tomorrow night, ran out of time today.

DSC01566.JPG

DSC01567.JPG

DSC01568.JPG

DSC01569.JPG

DSC01570.JPG

DSC01571.JPG

DSC01572.JPG

DSC01573.JPG

DSC01574.JPG

DSC01575.JPG

Now dont go and buy another one! Finish the R32 and buy a VW diseal as a daily driver. I'll be in touch.

Cheers,

Ian

Looks amazing

What are you doing to the headlights?

Richard had supplied a pair of brand new lights, so as to replace the yellowed ones that are currently in the car. Doesnt look too complicated to replace them though. Will give me something to do tomorrow evening.

ah sweet

I think though, that they yellow over time because they are plastic? I'm not sure

But you can polish them out...

these were mine before

Headlight_Before.jpg

and after

Headlight_After.jpg

and now they're slowly going back to the 'before' photo :wave:

Thats awesome. Richard finally sold her and sounds like it went to a very good home too!!

Some of the roads between sydney and brisbane would have been a terrible drive with a front bar that low unless they have fixed them in the last 6 months.

Thats awesome. Richard finally sold her and sounds like it went to a very good home too!!

Some of the roads between sydney and brisbane would have been a terrible drive with a front bar that low unless they have fixed them in the last 6 months.

The roads were pretty good for the most part. A lot of road noise on the freeways leaving sydney, and parts of the roads south of rocky, north of brissy were rough as. The driveway access at service stations was an issue in ayr, and was even more disapointing when i discovered they were out of 98 octane. The bar is a little over 100mm off the ground, so legal, but borderline impractical.

My 33 gtr was 100mm off the ground with its series 3 lip but that was higher at each side so it made driveway entrances on an angle a lot easier to do.

ah sweet

I think though, that they yellow over time because they are plastic? I'm not sure

But you can polish them out...

these were mine before

Headlight_Before.jpg

and after

Headlight_After.jpg

and now they're slowly going back to the 'before' photo :wave:

Yeah ive heard you can polish them out too. Supra's have the same problem. But considering ive got new lights, im not going to complain. Maybe i'll get lucky and they have updated the plastic materials so it wont yellow anymore.

awesome car bro.

the drive between sydney and brissie is alright some of the longest flattest roads i have ever seen lol

i drove from melboune to goldcoast a couple of years backand it was alright 4 cars went up we had some fun

had to watch out for kangaroos but there f*kn big as up there lol

The Count is a good bloke - you won't get a cleaner original R34 than the one you just bought off him.

I can't believe it took so long to sell!! Incredible!

Look after it, and enjoy. It'll bring a smile to your face every time you look at it, and drive it!

Congrats, welcome to heaven

Aint that the truth!

Very nice, congrats on the purchase, how does it compare to the R33?

Good question. Ive been thinking about this quite a lot and having now driven R32's R33's and now the R34 GTR's I can say the R34 is the best yet.

The R32 felt like a responsive smallish car, fast with great handling but not really as stable at speed as my R33 was. The R33 was extremely stable at high speed but it felt slower in the corners than a R32 did. The R34 is like driving a car that takes the best of both of its predecessors. The extra gear is great as well. 6th is a little taller than 5th was on the 32/33, but the extra gear and the close ratio spread of 3rd, 4th and 5th make accelerating awesome.

The Nismo suspension is a huge step up from my bilsteins as well. Its easy to understand why it is twice the price of the bilsteins.

Im planning on keeping this car for a long time.

Edited by Vspec R33

aaahh... someone finally got it. It truly was an immaculate example of a R34 GTR. To be honest mate, i'd sell the headlights as they are ultra $$, as i'm sure you'll be able to polish out your current headlights.

may i ask if it was a sub $50k purchase in the end?

detailaddiction.com.au/forums - head over there, all the best info to look after your car in the best way possible :D

have fun mate, you definitely found a stunner

aaahh... someone finally got it. It truly was an immaculate example of a R34 GTR. To be honest mate, i'd sell the headlights as they are ultra $$, as i'm sure you'll be able to polish out your current headlights.

may i ask if it was a sub $50k purchase in the end?

detailaddiction.com.au/forums - head over there, all the best info to look after your car in the best way possible :(

have fun mate, you definitely found a stunner

Im sending the lights back to Richard once I swap them out to help him re-claim some costs. Yes it was a little under 50K but id rather not say exactly.

Ive got a mate that is a spray painter by trade that has showed me quite a few tricks with getting a show winning shine. Here is the work he did on my other car.

Blocked back with an alloy hard block and 2000 grit wet and dry.

DSC01362.JPG

Polished. The colour is called Atlas Grey and is from the Porsche careera GT and 997's.

DSC01365.JPG

This was done with the PPG system 1 polish.

Im going to get the same polish job done on the gtr after I get a few flaws in the front bar and boot taken care of... so 6-12 months (its a daily driver after all).

You need to change your user name now ;)

Yeah I do! Im going to try get a prestiege number plate for it and will change my name to match once I work out what I want to get.