Respray

Guest DARKRB

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Had GF's car recently Re-Sprayed, Wasn't even a complete Re-Spray yet cost over 4K & the quality is terrible, missed parts, runs, Bodykit isn't fitted properly, It's going to cost us another couple of thousand dollars $$$ to get it fixed, I'm not happy :)

Try giving Kim at Golden Grove Crash Repairs a call he does an exellent job and when your finished there you can go next door and see about getting a new exhaust fitted at Exerlast Mufflers. Both places are freindly and they can also give good ideas

• 3 months later...

hmm... im a bit concerned now... most places quoted me $3000-$3500 for an exterior respray without engine bay etc including one workshop that already did my bodykit. and to be honest he did an awesome job on it and some other cars he had there looked really nice too...

do i seriously have to spend $12k on a respray as some of you guys are saying here!?!? i mean thats more than i paid for the car...

hmm... im a bit concerned now... most places quoted me $3000-$3500 for an exterior respray without engine bay etc including one workshop that already did my bodykit. and to be honest he did an awesome job on it and some other cars he had there looked really nice too...

do i seriously have to spend $12k on a respray as some of you guys are saying here!?!? i mean thats more than i paid for the car...

$3500 is a pretty good price for a exterior paint job. 10k to 12k is what you will pay for a full respray, prep work is what you pay for and pulling a car down to a rolling shell and prep work isnt done in a day.

If i was you i would strip the car down and prep the cabin, door jams and engine bay in 2pac primer your self and you will save a good 3 to 4 grand and maybe more if you do a good job.

i would be able to take panels off but i wouldnt be comfortable going as far as sanding it down and priming it... well maybe i could sand it down to a certain level but without any tools it would take me ages to strip the paint off completely down to primer

As long as its smooth,clean and you open the paws so the paint can adhere you dont need to take it down to primer . 2pac primer is very easy to paint as long as you do every coat at least 10mins apart then you dont have to wet rub after each coat to open the paws. I would do 8 coats of 2pac primer and when your ready get the workshop to go over your work.

You will save a shit load of money, as long as you take your time and do the job right.

Look up youtube, ebay for cheap how to books, visit (dont ring) the places you want to take your car to and they will help you out.

It will take time but doing it yourself you will know your car alot better and have alot more pride in it

I would ring All Type Crash, they know what they are talking about and will give you very good options and alot of help :blink:

noob question... if i did that stuff at home what should i use for sanding? ive heard of people using many things from sand paper, scotch brite pads and even razor sharp spatulas to strip the paint off... im pretty clueless about car painting...  :blink:

i once did a touchup job on my car and stripped paint using sandpaper... even that small section was a pain to do, cant imagine doing whole car

If you were to get a compressor + spray kit ($300ish) and bought about 4-5L of primer ($50 - $150), bunch of sanding paper from 200 - 800 girt dry and 1500 wet n dry (probably around $80 to do the whole car) and just took your time doing it, you will save thousands. They charge you a lot more for labor to prepare it for spraying than the actual job...

And if you end up getting quite handy with the spray gun, why not give it a go spraying some color on it? I wouldn't recommend spraying 2Pac in your garage unless you got a proper extraction system, breathing protection (not just your typical mask either) and a baking system (65-80 degrees C) as 2pack has very dangerous chemicals in it and needs the heat to harden properly. Search "isocyanates" to find out about dangers.

It pays to DIY, Ive done a complete rear quarter of my old car after my mate slammed in to it with his motorbike (he was ok).

Cost me:

$20 for ebay hammer and dolly set (for dents to be pulled out)

$25 for bog

$20 for cans of primer and spray filler

$10 in different types of sand paper

$40 for an eclectic sander tool (small cheapy from bunnings, worked fine) ~ used it for preparation only, final work should always be done by hand before spraying.

I did it bit by bit over 4 weeks and got the curve perfect (hit right on the body line about 1.3m long and half car down), primed it with spray cans, about 4 coats in total (wet sanding between each) and got my painter to spray the colour which cost me $100

All up $215

Quotes i got to fix it were between $1100 - $1,800

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

ok, so the place that was supposed to do respray on my car seems to be very busy atm and cant fit my car in soon enough, so i might need to find another place to get job done.

any recommendations guys? It needs to be a quality job, change of colour incl door jams (without engine bay, taking out windows etc). I also want most of prep done cause theres quite few scratches etc and im bit fussy. budget is like $4k-$5k. It would be great if it could be done by like early september.

anyone would recomend a place to get a front bar painted.. like primed, sanded, painted, etc.. cars white.

only want ones in northern subburbs, and how much to expect to pay for a front bar? cheers.

ok, so the place that was supposed to do respray on my car seems to be very busy atm and cant fit my car in soon enough, so i might need to find another place to get job done.

any recommendations guys? It needs to be a quality job, change of colour incl door jams (without engine bay, taking out windows etc). I also want most of prep done cause theres quite few scratches etc and im bit fussy. budget is like $4k-$5k. It would be great if it could be done by like early september.

All Type Crash or what Damo said mate

^^ go there, seriously.

yellowpages only finds some tiling place. you got phone number?

i might drive down there if i have time...

is all type crash still around?

cheers damo :P

I also just heard that my mum knows owner of eagle paint & panel, and my dad had his car repaired there after crash... does anyone have experience with them? I know they are good at crash repairs which i can personally see from dad's car, but would anyone recommend them for painting custom paint?

• 2 months later...

hey guys im an aprentice painter just to give an idea for prices this is a cashy i did in a shed working with my friend a panel beater:

panel work: car was shocking key scratched most panels and pre existing bog patches un rubbed in a few spots all badge holes were welded and smoothed over car was striped to paint inside and out bar engine bay $600

paint prep: repairs were all prepared to prime, key scatches all feathered out and prepared and whole car was primed apart from bonnet which didnt need priming. inside doors were painted then doors were layed flat and body was painted seperate along with the bonnet off the car.. after the car had been painted and re-assembled the car was de-nibbed and polished ( as it was done in a shed mainly the bonnet and roof were considerably dirty although paint job was even dirt had to be removed) a cheap clear was used and went slighty dull so a light wet rub and polish brought it up to standard shine. $1200

paint materials: we picked up a mis tint of protec basecoat 4l for 1oo dollars compared to a usual 100 per litre cost. clear was cheap at promo price 4l with hardner thinners 150. also needed were sand papers wax and grease remover miwing cups tack rags masking tape and such which came to about 100 dolars

so al up it came to $2350 around a bouts give or take 100 bucks, this was done slightly cheaper for a mate but you get the idea..

the finish was suprisingly good for a shed job the body was 100 times better than before and the guy was stoked! his words were "i cant belive this is my car" lol

so guess it depends on how much you as a customer know about paint and defects in paint and what to look for in a paint job

heres a few photos of the job:

:(