SAU Community

Has Any1 Been Pulled Over By A Vicroads Van?

Phatboy

And i was under the impressions that the ONLY car you must stop for is the Police... i wouldnt pull over for a vic roads car.

OK yeah, that's what I thought. Just wanted to put my mind at ease, not that vicroads ever bothered me.

"on the news tonight - vicroads in highway chase as car refuses to pull over while they have some fairy lights flash"

ahah yeah i wouldnt pull over

LOL!

years ago, they used to pull over cars especially modified ones but they stopped in the early 90s and only look after trucks since..

Good to know.

VTD and immigration people checking taxi's (which i found to be amusing at the time)

That IS amusing :D

Wow?!! WTF?

An Evo X cop car? Absolutely love the Evo X! Would've got it instead of my R34 GTR had it been available in Australia at the time. Haven't seen anything that crazy since the Jap R34 GTR cop car and UK/Italian Lambo cop car.

Makes sense to Victoria Police. For just a bit more than they pay for the SS patrol cars they can get something that is actually good for car chases.

post-49469-1232702432_thumb.jpg

post-49469-1232702456_thumb.jpg

VicRoads has same power as the Police to stop any vehicle and issue any type of Traffic infringement, although they mainly focus on commercial vehicles.

If you fail to stop after being signalled to by a VicRoads officer, you can and will be charged for failing to stop. The offence is the same offence as failing to stop for the police.

People are often shocked to find out that VicRoads officer can issue Traffic infringements to ordinary people and vehicles, but it happens all the time.

Also they can and will defect your vehicle if they find something wrong with it, and they know a lot about vehicle standards.

VicRoads has same power as the Police to stop any vehicle and issue any type of Traffic infringement, although they mainly focus on commercial vehicles.

Do you have reference to any document that states this? I've certainly never heard of it before, I would not pull over for anything but a police car as I'd be unsure as to why/who they are.

Do you have reference to any document that states this? I've certainly never heard of it before, I would not pull over for anything but a police car as I'd be unsure as to why/who they are.

Certainly do!! :P

Also besides the Police under the Road Safety Act, you must stop when signalled by either VicRoads officers or Victorian taxi Directorate Officers (VTD)

What I said before about Vicroads Officers also applies to Victoria Taxi Directorate officers

Power to stop under the Road Safety Act

Section 59 General duty of driver or person in charge of motor vehicle

(1) The driver or person in charge of a motor vehicle on a highway has the following duties—

(a) to stop the motor vehicle, produce for inspection his or her driver licence document or permit document and state his or her name

and address if requested or signalled to do so

by—

(i) a member of the police force or an officer of the Corporation or of the Department of Infrastructure (being an officer authorised in writing by the Corporation or the Secretary of the Department of Infrastructure, as the case requires, in that behalf); or

Powers to issue infringemets, Road safety Act again

Section 88 Traffic infringements

(1) A person who is referred to in section 77(2)(a), © or (d) who has reason to believe that a person has committed a traffic infringement of a kind that is prescribed for the purposes of this Part may issue or cause to be issued and serve or cause to be

served on that person a traffic infringement notice.

(Here's section 77)

77 Power to prosecute

(2) The following people may prosecute for any offence against this Act or the regulations—

(a) any member of the police force;

© any employee in the Department of Infrastructure who is authorised in writing to do so either generally or in any particular

case by the Secretary to the Department of Infrastructure;

(d) any officer of the Corporation who is authorised in writing to do so either generally or in any particular case by the Corporation;

An Officer of the Corporation is a Vicroads officer

An Officer of the Department of Infrastructure is A Victorian Taxi Directorate Officer (note dept of infrastructure is now dept of transport)

Normally they won't bother with normal vehicles, unless you do something stupid, so just behave around them. :D

Edited by tss

If you fail to stop after being signalled to by a VicRoads officer, you can and will be charged for failing to stop. The offence is the same offence as failing to stop for the police.

People are often shocked to find out that VicRoads officer can issue Traffic infringements to ordinary people and vehicles, but it happens all the time.

Also they can and will defect your vehicle if they find something wrong with it, and they know a lot about vehicle standards.

are you a vicroads officer?

honestly if i saw one id completly ignore them and keep driving. ill only pull over for the police because that is what i have been taught.

are you a vicroads officer?

honestly if i saw one id completly ignore them and keep driving. ill only pull over for the police because that is what i have been taught.

this is strange, i've always been led to belive that Vic Roads have more power then cops in certain area's.

like a regular joe schmo cop in a patrol car cant make you pop your hood with out highway patrol or somthing like that.

where as Vic's Roads can have a field day on your ride find anything wrong, if your a dick i guess you would get worst treatment and get done for a slow retracting seatbelt or somthing.

bit of an extreme example, but i look at it this way, Connex has there dudes patroling there train's and tracks asking for tickets and just upholding there law.

Vic Roads are much the same your on there roads and there patroling.

i'll just stick to what i belive, rather pull of then and there, could just be a simple thing like tail light busted and there just letting you know, or you keep driving and get a EPA notice

p.s sorry for blabbering on, in that mind state :P

There's also a section in the RSA about that talks about the fact that there has to be a reasonable indication that an officer is attempting to pull you over. (or words to that effect)

I wouldn't pull over, I'd just speed off, they don't have the power to prosecute you for alleged speed, that much i'm sure.

There's also a section in the RSA about that talks about the fact that there has to be a reasonable indication that an officer is attempting to pull you over. (or words to that effect)

That's why they have Lights and sirens fitted to their vehicles, Magistrates won't believe that you didn't know you had to stop,are the lights and sirens were activated. They take the view that it's your responsibility to know and obey the Road Rules.

I wouldn't pull over, I'd just speed off, they don't have the power to prosecute you for alleged speed, that much i'm sure.

The vehicles are fitted out with speed measuring devices, so there would be nothing alleged about your speed, and if they didin't catch you but get your rego, then you will receive a nice surprise in the mail

Edited by tss

wow TSS certainly knows whats going on, that wouldnt stand for Transport Saftey Service by any chance would it??

any way i can 100% confirm that Vic Roads TSS cars have all the same wrights as any police officer apart from carrying a gun, so you should pull over for them BUT i also know that most of them will leave cars alone as they mainly focus on Heavy vehicles, Buses and it used to be Taxis but not so much now, honestly if they saw a car doing something wrong they tend to just radio it in to the TOGies and then they will take it from there.

and a quick note bout the evos they are in full force seen them out in flemington heaps when the melbourne carnival (horse racing) was on, have also been told that they have a Jumbuk and a VW golf. so just keep an eye out. (Sneeky)

LOL, the big VIC ROADS stickers and purple lights wouldnt give you a clue as to who they were and what they wanted??

My understanding is that the cops and vic roads are of the same level when it comes to traffic matters, you must pull over for both, vic roads are also known as wannabe cops.

this is strange, i've always been led to belive that Vic Roads have more power then cops in certain area's.

like a regular joe schmo cop in a patrol car cant make you pop your hood with out highway patrol or somthing like that.

Normal cops can do the same as tmu but as most of them dont know jack about cars they will probably just fine you for what you did wrong, also the normal cop cars usually have enough to worry about with out wasting more time trying to defect someone.

wow TSS certainly knows whats going on, that wouldnt stand for Transport Saftey Service by any chance would it??

Maybe he is TSS but everything he said is just pure common sense, if you want to get up in front of a court and say "im just a dumb f**k, i didnt know that the vic roads sign and flashing lights an sirens meant that i had to pull over, i thought it was the local drug dealer who had ran out of stock and wanted to jack me for my 2 X's i had" then you go right ahead, will be a good read in the local paper :P

Edited by W0rp3D

Certainly do!! :)

Also besides the Police under the Road Safety Act, you must stop when signalled by either VicRoads officers or Victorian taxi Directorate Officers (VTD)

What I said before about Vicroads Officers also applies to Victoria Taxi Directorate officers

<cut>

Thanks, interesting document there, will re-read that section :)

LOL, the big VIC ROADS stickers and purple lights wouldnt give you a clue as to who they were and what they wanted??

<cut>

Maybe he is TSS but everything he said is just pure common sense, if you want to get up in front of a court and say "im just a dumb f**k, i didnt know that the vic roads sign and flashing lights an sirens meant that i had to pull over, i thought it was the local drug dealer who had ran out of stock and wanted to jack me for my 2 X's i had" then you go right ahead, will be a good read in the local paper :)

Lol, very funny.

I'm thinking at night, when its very dark, the only thing I will see outside my factory darkened glass will be some purple flashing lights, I would think its some kind of emergency vehicle that wants to pass me, not pull me over.

I cannot see the stickers through tint at night.

And no, you wouldn't go to court for driving to the local police station OR your house while been followed by a car with purple lights, even if you did that with a police car you won't end up in court unless you were doing something stupid.

If they have sirens then I would take it a little more seriously, if its just purple flashing lights then I'd think it was some kids having fun, people have done it with fake blue/red lights before...

Lol, very funny.

I'm thinking at night, when its very dark, the only thing I will see outside my factory darkened glass will be some purple flashing lights, I would think its some kind of emergency vehicle that wants to pass me, not pull me over.

I cannot see the stickers through tint at night.

And no, you wouldn't go to court for driving to the local police station OR your house while been followed by a car with purple lights, even if you did that with a police car you won't end up in court unless you were doing something stupid.

If they have sirens then I would take it a little more seriously, if its just purple flashing lights then I'd think it was some kids having fun, people have done it with fake blue/red lights before...

Maybe you would not end up in court, i just had a mind picture of that scenario so i thought i would post it, depending on how far away your house is you would be in a lot of shit, going to the nearest cop shop would probably be the best bet, but do you really want to go to a police station in a modified import, especially since once you dont stop vic roads will call the cops.

Also as to the van thing, there are vic roads vans with the push bar on the front, they also do the westgate freeway and bridge, have seen them as far as the werribee exit.

There depot is at the bottom of the bridge on the left hand side inbound just before you hit the shell exit.

Edited by W0rp3D