SAU Community

1992 Mitsubishi Galant Vr4, Awd, Manual - $5000 Ono

Tell him he's dreamin!  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If you've got this far, then you probably know the performance of these cars. Precursor to the Lancer Evo's, these AWD cars handle like on rails. The 4G63 engine was present in the Evo range right up to Evo

post-57913-1232702017_thumb.jpgpost-57913-1232702072_thumb.jpg

post-57913-1232702139_thumb.jpgpost-57913-1232710571_thumb.jpg

This car has been my daily driver for past year, 20,000km. It's such a fun car to drive, will be sad to see it go. I have upgraded to a Stagea & we have no need for 3 cars.

post-57913-1232711688_thumb.jpgpost-57913-1232711817_thumb.jpg

The car has been modified w/ the following go fast bits

Imported J-spec 4G63T donk w/ cyclone intake manifold - bigger inlet ports & dual runners

Matching J-spec ECU

Upgraded TD05H big 16G turbo

Header style exhaust manifold 4 to 1

Turbosmart Boost Tee (uninstalled, held 20 PSI solid on my Stagea)

3in hi flow exhaust from dump to cannon

Magnecor ignition leads

255L/h performance fuel pump under 50kms old, 1 yr warranty

Aftermarket fuel pressure regulator w/ pressure gauge

Datalogger cable with software and cable for laptop connection

Oil catch can

4x Bridgestone Potenza GIII - 80%+ tread, even wear

Solid alloy shift bushes & ball bearing selector fork bushes - improved throw dramatically

Shimmed oil pump relief valve

Sports steering wheel

post-57913-1232711921_thumb.jpg

Servicings & new parts:

Fully reconditioned head less than 100kms old. Valve regrind, new valves/guides/seals/AJUSA head gasket, full VRS set, pressure tested.

New Hydraulic lifters (latest generation 3mm oversize oil ports)

100,000km service completed 1 yr 20,000km ago, replaced timing & balance shaft belts, idler & tensioner bearings, water pump, oil pump/balance shaft/cam/crank/cam angle sensor seals, hydraulic tensioner, all accessory belts & thermostat.

Injectors cleaned & flowed

New O2 & knock sensors

Oil changed every 2,500km - Semi Syn 10w/50

Oil, Oil Filter, Spark plugs, NGK BCPR7EY, changed every 5,000km

New coil packs

Fully reconditioned rear propshaft - new uni joints and carrier bearings

All new diff, transfer case & gearbox fluids 1 yr ago

Radiator flush & 50/50 nulon coolant

14" hi flow, low profile thermofan

post-57913-1232707759_thumb.jpgpost-57913-1232708446_thumb.jpg

post-57913-1232710538_thumb.jpg

250,500kms (unsure how many on the transplant J-spec engine, prob ~100K?), Tints, electric sunroof, CD/MP3 4x45W w/ sub.

Rego to 29 Mar 09, NSW rego AO-98-PD.

Can book it in for a pink slip if required. All receipts have been kept for pretty much all work, parts and servicings.

Asking $5000 or near offer.

Any questions or if you want more photos, pls send me a PM, email me: [email protected] or give me a buzz... 0429 001 875.

Cheers,

Pete

Edited by STAGTR

G'day mate,

At present its running a bit over stock boost, prob around ~12 PSI. I replaced the stock boost control solenoid with one from a Eunos 800M (the supercharged version) so it doesn't have the inbuilt valve restrictor. Stock boost is supposed to be around 10PSI. I can't remember the wastegate pring pressure for the 16g turbo.

I did have an electronic boost controller installed, but I removed that and installed it to my stagea. Was running a max of 15PSI on the EBC, never hit fuel cut (and that was before I installed the aftermarket FPR). The TD05 and engine internals should take up to 17PSI wth no stress. I just have no boost guage hooked up to the car now, so I can't tell you 100% what it is running now.

It has never been on a dyno, it was my daily driver and I thought it was a waste to just put it on for a power run. The ECU cannot be socketed and if you wanted to change the maps you would need to source either a stock ECU with an EEPROM in it, or go aftermarket. That was the other reason I never put it on a dyno... unable to change maps in current form.

I think the ECU is a 161kW or 169kW rated ECU when using the TD04 14b turbo. Of course the turbo has been upgraded, the injectors are spitting out more fuel (when you raise the FPR) and there's no BCS restrictor, if you up the boost to 17PSI... not sure what the potential is there but as long as it doesn't hit fuel cut you could very well get 200+kW.. Just look at what the stock Evo 1-4's were putting out (206kW).

It's got the stock A-Spec FMIC... if you have seen these, they are a bit of a joke. Tube and fin and look more like a side mount intercooler. There's reo in the A-Spec front bars, so you would have to cut it out OR replace the front bar with a J-Spec one (the J-Spec bars look heaps better anyway).

The mechanicals:

- The right rear wheel bearing has got the "wub, wub, wub, wubs". It's not critical yet and has done it since I bought it. I thought it was the propshaft carrier brearings so I reconditioned the shaft only to find it still made the noise. Best to replace the wheel bearing when you change you machine discs and pads (saves on labour).

- The starter is coming to an end of its life... I have removed it once and cleaned it/greased bearings and there wasn't much meat left on 2 of the brushes. New brush kit is about $20-$40... new starter is about $120.

- The clutch is really light, whilst it doesn't slip, I reckon it is probably pretty tired. It hasn't degraded on me in the 1 yr and 20,000km I have had it... I might just be used to heavier spring forces.

- The aircon clutch engages fine and pumps, but is noisy when not engaged. Sounds like a whine and would prob be bearings. Needs a regas. I left the belt off after putting the head back on (belt will be included).

- The cruise control micro-switch is gummed up and doesn't stay on. I tried cleaning it but it only worked properly for another 100kms or so. Could probably source a replacement microswitch from Jaycar or RS or just go to wreckers.

Visually, the clear coat is peeling in places, but came up ok after a cut, polish and wax.

I have the full Factory service manual set (chassis, mechanical, electrical and engine overhaul) electronically, which I will chuck in.

These are all the problems that I know of... hope this answers your questions!

Cheers StuC,

Its the 2.0L, DOHC, 16 valve engine. I used to own a Cordia GSR, which was the 1.8L SOHC, 8 valve turbo. The weight of the Cordia made it a weapon, but the vr4 donk, is that much better and throw in AWD, you can use the horsies so much better than the Whordia.

I've spent a bit of time on it (just ask the missus!), and have tried to set a fair price considering its coming to end of rego, needs a new wheel bearing, compressor clutch needs a service and the clear coat is pretty sad.

The good thing about the old Galant VR4 look is that they are the ultimate sleeper car... it looks like an old school Magna or Lancer. Provided you aren't speeding or powersliding out of a roundabout, you won't ever get hassled by the fuzz!!

BUMP'age

Replaced fuel non return/check valve (I used the one from the walbro) in new fuel pump today (it looks like they used the wrong part)... fuel lines/rail holds pressure after shutdown. happy times!

Timed to 5 deg BTDC and 750 rpm idle as per factory settings. Running ~36 psi fuel press under idle and ~45psi under boost.

Plus... If you supply boost gauge, I will install it and fit the Turbosmart Boost T to provide boost to your requirements. Sorry I don't have a wideband O2 sensor, so I wouldn't be pushing the boost too high without a way to reference the AFR's!

Cheers,

Pete

• 2 weeks later...