SAU Community

*just Blew My Turbo*

boo5tr

Hey guys&girls,

just blew my stock turbo in my 33 its a 96 series 2.

I just put a r32 actuator in and it read 1 bar within 5 minutes she made a pop/whistle noise!!!lol

Now i was just wondering what i should do,get it fixed or buy a second hand one?

I just want one that will cop 10pounds all day everyday without issues.

Any ideas would be great,cheers

go get a second hand one, plenty around, (i've got a s1 for sale). be around 300 to 350 for a good one, not to hard to change. give yourself a day and that will be plenty

that would be nice but not too good for the coin side of things, all i want it 10 pounds and im happy,maybe even 12 for as less as possible...........so im thinking another stocker and a decent boost controller will do the job????

nah not bragging wrights,just 5 and 7 isnt enough,i just want a bit more of a kick really.......

if i wanted bragging wrights i would of brought a gtr that runs 10's

Just luck of the draw. Mine takes 15 psi everyday and i drive it hard pretty often.

My advice would be to get another second hand one. Can pick them up for 300 pretty easily. And thats all it will cost you if you are prepared to install it yourself. If not then the cost will probably double to 600..

as said luck of the draw, in my old 180 rb20det i punished it, wouldnt do it knowing what i know now, but it had a ca18det cooler, (thinner than std r32) and was running 1 bar for just over the year that i had it and i thrashed that thing every day, then sold it to a mate and it kept on living until he wrote it off

difference between running a rb25 at 12-14 and a rb20 at 12-14. think you are unlucky. i've been running mine at 12 for the last 4 years with no problems and it was fine when i pulled it out

Im well aware of whats safe, whats not.

Just saying to ensure you run whats safe, and forget about the number (safe or unsafe).

Im not negative, just making a comment to the above, maybe you take that negatively... considering your record on the forum that comes as no surprise.

If you're lucky enough to find one get a R34 neo turbo, comes with the VG30 sized larger rear housing but a nylon compressor wheel meant I didn't notice any lag compared to my S1. I made 4kw more at 10psi compared to 12psi on the S1 R33 turbo. They go for $400-450.

if it were me (eventually i will be in your situation with my series 2) I would park the car for a few months, use public transport if you can or find other ways to get around untill you can afford to put a new upgraded turbo in. I don't mean go all out and put a massive high mounted lag macker in it, put if you get another second hand (suposable good nick) turbo, you run the risk of it stuffing up on you again, you have no idea what life a second hand stock turbo has gone through. they are old, they can fail even if they have minimal play and look and feel fresh. Just buy another decent turbo (brand new), or take your turbo and get it highflowed for about $800 ive seen. Highflows arn't the answer for running massive power, but its more than enough than what you need it for, fairly cheap compared to a new turbo (highflow is basically a newer better turbo of the original and run higher boost).

me personally if i had the money i'd go a new better turbo.

but its your decision

if it were me (eventually i will be in your situation with my series 2) I would park the car for a few months, use public transport if you can or find other ways to get around untill you can afford to put a new upgraded turbo in. I don't mean go all out and put a massive high mounted lag macker in it, put if you get another second hand (suposable good nick) turbo, you run the risk of it stuffing up on you again, you have no idea what life a second hand stock turbo has gone through. they are old, they can fail even if they have minimal play and look and feel fresh. Just buy another decent turbo (brand new), or take your turbo and get it highflowed for about $800 ive seen. Highflows arn't the answer for running massive power, but its more than enough than what you need it for, fairly cheap compared to a new turbo (highflow is basically a newer better turbo of the original and run higher boost).

me personally if i had the money i'd go a new better turbo.

but its your decision

if it's going to take a few months to save up for a upgraded turbo, then it's probably not such a good idea.

the reason for upgrading usually would be more power, which in turn can cause more things to break...

get another good condition stocker on there, run 10psi, and you'll be fine. ;)

just blew my stock turbo in my 33 its a 96 series 2.

I just put a r32 actuator in and it read 1 bar within 5 minutes she made a pop/whistle noise!!!lol

remind me never to buy a car off you :D