SAU Community

Importing From Nz

Hi guys I have a 1990 R32 GTR gathering dust over in NZ it was pre modified in Japan and I have owned it for over 1 year there and have been in Au for over 2 years. When they say ownership overseas for more that a year for personal import does this car have to be registered in the country of origin during this ownership? As my car was non compliable in NZ and therefore not registered … but legitimately owned by myself, and dose GST still apply considering I’m not selling or buying the item?

I guess I could bring it in though sevs etc but due to the mods it would end up to much work to make standard and I may as well sell there and cut my losses and sell it there.

Because you didn't have it registered there, I think you're going to have a hard time bringing it in as a personal import. And yes you'd still pay GST on it if you did bring it over.

Actually, when was the purchase date in Japan? (Presuming you imported it to NZ yourself)

Edited by Iron Chef

Hi guys I have a 1990 R32 GTR gathering dust over in NZ it was pre modified in Japan and I have owned it for over 1 year there and have been in Au for over 2 years. When they say ownership overseas for more that a year for personal import does this car have to be registered in the country of origin during this ownership? As my car was non compliable in NZ and therefore not registered … but legitimately owned by myself, and dose GST still apply considering I'm not selling or buying the item?

I guess I could bring it in though sevs etc but due to the mods it would end up to much work to make standard and I may as well sell there and cut my losses and sell it there.

You need to be in NZ with the car. I have just got my car here and had to give complete scan of passport and account for all time out of NZ.

Lucky I have owned the car for 6 years and was in NZ for 14 months.

Also needs to be registered so not much chance of the personal import rule working for you.

Edited by Waza_GTR

• 1 month later...
You need to be in NZ with the car. I have just got my car here and had to give complete scan of passport and account for all time out of NZ.

Lucky I have owned the car for 6 years and was in NZ for 14 months.

Also needs to be registered so not much chance of the personal import rule working for you.

Bugger I was hoping this would not be the case it too good to part out but I guess thats to only option bar a race car ....

Cheers Guys