SAU Community

The Insurance Thread

heslo

I was with Torque for "many" years and then they got taken over by LSV in 2008 ( no big deal right ? ). LSV were answering to Lumley General Insurance ( still no big deal right ? ). LSV are now answering to Wesfarmers General Insurance and all of a sudden LSV dropped the value of my car down 3 grand and bumped up my premium by $400 :)

Exact same thing happend to me. Was with Torque then LSV. I'm 31, rating 1, not even a speeding ticket. My 1999 GTT just dropped in value by $4k down to $26k and my premium shot up from $1200 to $1550!!

Over the 8 years I've been with them I've had 2 claims (car broken into twice) and they've also helped me out with 3rd party claims (rear ended twice) and the service was fantastic. My repair always tells me 'you've got a great insurance company you know'. He also said AAMI (Just cars underwriter) are terrible. He said he just can't fix the cars to his quality and provide a lifetime guarantee on the repair at the prices they pay.

I also don't like Just Cars crazy premiums.

I called Shannons and asked for a quote, but they knocked me back because my car isn't in a lock up garage. It is in a car port at the rear of an apartment block (not viewable from the street) in a super safe area.

I feel I'm a borderline case - was I just unlucky with the sales guy? Should I try again? Any other Skylines insured with Shannons not in lock up garages?

^^ nope ive been told that on a few occasions now

even asked if 2 walls and a lock up gate constitute a lock up garage but they claim no it must be 4 walls from floor to ceiling and have a lock on the roller door type setup

• 2 weeks later...

As a few of you have PM'd me I thought I'd update you with what I ended up doing just to help out.

Shannons - no go, no garage.

Famous - $2,289, forget that obviously.

Just cars - based on $22k agreed value the quote was pretty good at around the $1,200 mark. I called to increase the coverage to $26k which they did and this increased the insurance up to $1,415.

I figured my most likely claim would be an attempted theft. I've got an insane car security system and it's foiled a group of professional thieves on one occasion (a large job where several hi-performance imports were stolen).

JC has a basic excess of $500 (which can be increased to reduce your premium) and had an additional theft excess of $1000. I asked them in the event of an attempted theft what would I have to pay. They said that an unsuccessful theft attempt will still attract the additional theft excess. I disagreed with this, they double checked with their manager and confirmed this is JC's position. I think that's crazy - so if someone breaks into your car, yet doesn't steal it, it's still considered 'theft'? LSV just call it damage to vehicle. The funny thing was if someone broke a window and actually stole a bunch of stuff, that's not considered 'theft' but 'vandalism' as personal items are not covered anyway.

Anyway, given that I'd be up for at least $1500 excess with JC in an attempted theft I decided to renew with LSV. Even though it was jacked up another $400 on last year was only $100 more than the next best (JC) and I get the rental car in the event of theft with LSV which is a nice option.

It was a close choice, JC's do seem to really cater for imports well, have knowlegde of all the mods and we kind and courteous on the phone. If I get another price hike with LSV maybe I'll go with them next year.

LSV explained that there's been a large increase in the amount of claims for hi performance imports and that's why the premium is so high.

Good luck everyone - DRIVE SAFE (ask for a driving course for your next birthday - loads of fun and can save your life) and SECURE YOUR CAR, that's the best way to keep premiums down for all of us.

Woot woot been with just cars for just over an year now and the premium has dropped by almost $50 per month.....stoked now just gota get my CAMS license and get another 10% off the yearly premium

just went through my first insurance claim, shannons service blew me away compared to how aami (the at fault drivers insurance company) were. best customer service i have had in ages (compared to my last experience with shannons LOL)

still doesn't come close to Club Marine's customer service (not that i'm biased at all LOL)

Woot woot been with just cars for just over an year now and the premium has dropped by almost $50 per month.....stoked now just gota get my CAMS license and get another 10% off the yearly premium

I think i ment Shannons

Shannons:

R33 4 door, alarm, value $11,000

Excess $250

Premium $952 per annum

:P

Edited by RubyRS4

Im so suprised not many people have been going with H2P!!

I was with JustCar...getting a HEAPS better deal with H2P

what sort of cover do they have compared to just car?

i honestly hate people that compare price, insurance is different with every company so you cant compare apples with apples.

i get real shocks at the sort of price they have been offered for particular cover from other companies, is its really cheap there is generally a reason why... and its not because you have a pretty smile!!

"Just Cars"

-R32 gts-t

-$508 fire & theft per year

-Excess $1800

WTF i'm 18 and i'm paying over $600 with Just car for fire and theft. Only mods listed are bodykit and clutch, great will probs get another 100 a year with the new rims :P

There seems to be heaps of people who hate JC / AAMI. Are they really "that" bad ???

I dont hate them i just hate their prices lol

comparison here for me

Just car = $2500 premium, $1500 excess, insured for $15K with zorst, wheels, stereo, ADR approved alarm

same year

Shannons = $2300 premium, $900 exvess, insured for $17K with zorst, fmic, wheels, etc

what sort of cover do they have compared to just car?

i honestly hate people that compare price, insurance is different with every company so you cant compare apples with apples.

i get real shocks at the sort of price they have been offered for particular cover from other companies, is its really cheap there is generally a reason why... and its not because you have a pretty smile!!

Same cover except they valued my car for $23,000 instead of $14,000. Excess is a bit less and premium was bout the same.

I didn't just look at prices, I did my homework :rofl:

I dont hate them i just hate their prices lol

comparison here for me

Just car = $2500 premium, $1500 excess, insured for $15K with zorst, wheels, stereo, ADR approved alarm

same year

Shannons = $2300 premium, $900 exvess, insured for $17K with zorst, fmic, wheels, etc

Yeah, but what's JC / AAMI's service like ? Do they screw you over when you make a claim or something ?

Yeah, but what's JC / AAMI's service like ? Do they screw you over when you make a claim or something ?

Sorry mate i havnt *thankfully* had to make a claim so far on my insurance

but my parents are with AAMI and they get a pretty good service or thats what they are saying anyway

This has been my only "attempt" at a claim with Just Car. Had a guy back into me, got his number and rego (and yes, i know i should have got more from him). Filed a police report, gave JC the necessary time to obtain the report. When they ran the rego, it had no named driver, yeah, figure that one out? I was under the assumption that all registered cars have a named owner. I gave them his number, a number i had been dialling constantly for days without success, they apparently spoke to him, and he denied all knowledge of this taking place. They then said there is nothing they can do, and offered to fix my front bar, all id have to do is pay my $2500 excess. Yeah right.

had a win yesterday

updated my policy with shannons (combined with 2 cars and trailer is valued at 26k)........listed extras such as my second set of wheels / tyres for the patrol (my mickey thompson MTZs and black sunraysias) as well as every other item including value

the new 31 is insured for a reasonable value sight unseen, which will revise once its done and they've viewed it, but because ive got a CAMS L2S licence, i qualify for the 10% discount on my policy

had a win yesterday

updated my policy with shannons (combined with 2 cars and trailer is valued at 26k)........listed extras such as my second set of wheels / tyres for the patrol (my mickey thompson MTZs and black sunraysias) as well as every other item including value

the new 31 is insured for a reasonable value sight unseen, which will revise once its done and they've viewed it, but because ive got a CAMS L2S licence, i qualify for the 10% discount on my policy

you should get 10% for having 2 cars and another 10% for the cams licence.

I've currently have 3 cars insured through shannons, covered for a total of $54,000, its not helping the bank account thats for sure :D

Edited by DSTROY