SAU Community

Tomei Poncams Lobes Chipped

junga

Hey Fellas,

I just bought some Tomei Poncams off a SAU member and arrived in the mail today

but when i opened up the package, the both cams had a lobe that was chipped! but no bits were found in the package!

Will these need to be rebuilt or are they going into the bin?

Here is a picture of one of the Poncams! sorry for bad quality, i've only got a phone camera

Please let me know! :) i feel jibbed!

this may sound dumb but make sure they werent taken off for balancing before you go adding more metal to it (although it does look like a strange place to be taking off metal). ask the seller about it.

• Like 1

They are made from chilled cast iron, so you are limited as to what you can do. If they were mine, and the budget precluded buying some more, then I'd take a very fine engineers stone and VERY CAREFULLY dress the edges of the fractures to make sure no rough edges can gouge the buckets. There should be no sign of more material being removed by the stone, just makes sure the very edges are dressed. They should, unless cracked invisibly, run OK like that. I have run worse when a replacement hasn't been available and a race engine had to get out there at short notice. When you renew them, if you run them as is, change the buckets on the the 2 damaged lobes. It's a shame they are chipped on a load bearing part of the lobes, you have lost maybe a 1/7 th of the lobe width, which puts the load up by that amount on both bucket and lobe, but it's an OHC engine and being Poncams run stock (soft) springs, so the loads are not great anyway. Good luck....

if you expected to get a set of undamaged cams it's unacceptable. take this up with the seller.
yeh i would be worried about using those , they will work but for how long? risky, i would be taking it up with the seller they obviously know they were chipped unless theyre blind!!

• 2 weeks later...