SAU Community

Fuel Gauge Busted

oweban

In my S1 R33, the fuel gauge is currently reading full until I hit around 180km (less or more dependant on driving, more for highway, less for when I'm in a bad mood), and I don't really know how it works so that I can fix it. From what I've seen, the sender for it is a long kind of bar that goes in the tank, and as I'm replacing my fuel pump with a Bosch 040 next weekend, thought I might do this too.

The picture attached is how I kind of figure it works, the left is normal and the right is what I think may have happened, it's come loose at the top and is laying down against the side, so when the tank is full, the float is stuck at the top until the tank level gets down to there.

This happened after a skidpan day at Oran Park in May 2007 so almost 2 years ago now, I think it's finally time to fix it. :)

Anyone with any ideas, this would be greatly appreciated.

post-34005-1233084292_thumb.png

This is what they look like (in s13 anyway):

fuelpump-original.jpg

That little float pivots an arm that is rubbing against a series of different points on a circuit board. When it is low, it rubs on the lower points, giving a lower reading. When its high, vice versa.

Check the tracks on the board and make sure its making contact through the whole range. You should be able to test this with it out of the car just plug the fuel pump loom back in and have a play.

• 5 months later...

When you look into the fuel tank with the top of the tank off you wil see a long white/brownish round tube in the right connor.

This is the fuel sender unit and i bet it will be laying/floating around. it should be clipped into the front of the tank beside the fuel pump bracket.

You should be able to clip it back in no problems.

Mine has the same problem after the last DECA day with a full tank of fuel.

Hopefully i will have time to fix it tomorrow and find a way for it to stay there better and get some photos at the same time to post up.

Cheers

NutR33

When you look into the fuel tank with the top of the tank off you wil see a long white/brownish round tube in the right connor.

This is the fuel sender unit and i bet it will be laying/floating around. it should be clipped into the front of the tank beside the fuel pump bracket.

You should be able to clip it back in no problems.

Mine has the same problem after the last DECA day with a full tank of fuel.

Hopefully i will have time to fix it tomorrow and find a way for it to stay there better and get some photos at the same time to post up.

Cheers

NutR33

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it :D

Now that I've got my boot completely empty in preparation for my new boot install, I'll take a look this weekend. Would be nice to know how far a quarter of a tank gets me (not very far I guess). While I'm at it, might as well install my Bosch 040.