SAU Community

Gtr Timing

Vija

Hi, does anyone in Adelaide have experience with this or a timing gun which they know works properly on the RB26DETT. I keep reading about these "double readings" from cheap guns like the one I have, but I went and tried a very expensive one at a nearby mechanic and it gave the same reading.

I get light pinging at load from about 1500-2000rpm at times and that was after I set the timing using a spark plug lead to connect the coil to the no.1 plug. If I use the loop at the back of the engine I get totally different readings ie about 10-15 degrees higher.

Any ideas would be great.

Cheers,

Matt

Have you spoken to a tunner

and light pinging under load i hardly call 2000rpm load and if your just free reving it wont be under load at all

it was also my belief that if you have factory ecu you wouldn't need to check your timing and if you have a pfc then your tunner would of set it all up on the dyno?

Have you spoken to a tunner

and light pinging under load i hardly call 2000rpm load and if your just free reving it wont be under load at all

it was also my belief that if you have factory ecu you wouldn't need to check your timing and if you have a pfc then your tunner would of set it all up on the dyno?

Hi, not free reving. Should have mentioned it's usually only >3rd gear at low rpm. And by load I mean labouring at lowish rpm. When I imported it I wanted to see what the timing was set at in case it had been screwed with. Yes the ecu controls timing but the CAS must be set correctly and then all tuning done via the ecu. Im still running a stock ecu.

Even with stock ecu still definitely have to check the ignition timing and adjust to 20degrees BTDC.

Something is definitely up if a 8.6:1 motor with turbo cams is pinging at light load. Its unlikely it will be an ignition timing issue but rather something else that should be sorted asap. Might not even be pinging.

Yeah I'm starting to think it's not pinging. Possibly an accessory just making a bit of a rattle. It's definitely not the aircon, water pump or any pulleys relating to the timing belt because they have all been replaced lately. Possible power steering pulley but it doesn't change when turning the wheels.

Cheers,

Matt

='TheRogue' date='3 Feb 2009, 08:46 PM' post='4405735']

Even with stock ecu still definitely have to check the ignition timing and adjust to 20degrees BTDC.

Something is definitely up if a 8.6:1 motor with turbo cams is pinging at light load. Its unlikely it will be an ignition timing issue but rather something else that should be sorted asap. Might not even be pinging.