SAU Community

Turbo To Non Turbo

dragster39

hey im a p plater which really sucks eg no turbo's, im looking at buying an r32 skyline but the problem is there isnt a lot of non turbo

ones around for sale so im looking at buying 32 gtst and converting to n/a. just wondering the basics on wat it would take to convert it and would it be worth it. the best decision would be to look for an r32 with a rb25de but i dont like the odds of finding one. if any one could give us a heads up that would be great, thanks.

even if you convert it or remove the turbo

the car model is still a GTST so it still exceeds factory power to weight, so you still break the law

even though its now N/a and makes jack all power

just buy a GTS and then GTST later

Not only that...it'd be a modification that requires engineer approval. Not sure where you are..but the law in Brisbane for P Platers is any modification that requires an engineer certificate...unless of course you got your provisional licence issued prior to the July 2007 cut off....like me :domokun:

Not only that...it'd be a modification that requires engineer approval. Not sure where you are..but the law in Brisbane for P Platers is any modification that requires an engineer certificate...unless of course you got your provisional licence issued prior to the July 2007 cut off....like me :domokun:

yea mate i live in ipswich makes alot of sense cheers.

hopefully i can find a 32 with an rb25de in it shouldnt exceed the 200kw limit if not i could detune it i guess

I'd love to see a RB25DE that can exceed the 200KW limit lol Remember though, your VIN still says it's turbocharged, the car model is still a turbo, and it still requires a Queensland Transport Mod Plate to be issued. If you get pulled up, it may go unnoticed that it's a DE conversion, or if you get a mod plate it will have been well, modified requiring engineers approval.

To be honest, the only way you'll really get by with it is to get a non-turbo to begin with.

How long till you're off restrictions? There's other non-turbo cars out there (besides Skylines) that will be a great starting point for you. Even if you got a non-turbo S13 or something.

What I've been told was the manufacturer says its a turbo and even if you take out the turbo, it still says "turbo-ed" and a cop that's had a bad day has a reasonable excuse to interpret that as a turbo car.

Plus i would check because I'm pretty sure in Queensland that counts as a modification and on your P's its no engine mods from what i hear... please anyone correct me if I'm wrong as this is just what i have been told, Also it would run really sloppy as there is not compression!!

if u take the turbo off etc it will run like shit, the car is meant to have a turbo on it...mayb try n find a rb25de neo motor then do some work to ur handling etc n some work on the engine then turbo cos a rb25de+t would be an animal...u would need an engineers certificate etc. I saw a rb20 de last night at RE customs make 86rwkw sounded tuff as but i think 25de is the way to go

When they run the plates on the system it's no doubt going to mention the make and model etc... If you're lucky enough to have a cop not know the difference between say a GTS and GTSt then you may be in luck unless they pull you over.

• 1 month later...

it comes up turbo/non turbo on the car details when they punch ur plate in. so it'd cause some dramas there, unless you got a engineer cert. and went n got a blue slip and re-rego'd your car as a non turbo, hence changing the rta's details, hence changing the police's records.