SAU Community

My Turbo sounds like a blender!!!

R31Nismoid

I've got a t04e(i think or something near to that) on the side of my RB25.

Last night the turbo just started to whine really loud like a blender with nothing in it. The whine was reasonably high pitched and started when i reached 5000rpm.

The car hits the 13psi it's set to at 4300rpm so when it hits 5000 it's only just making all it's power... but it doesn't have any power at all now.

My Turbo is usually very quiet and i cant hear it at all when on boost. Only the sucking of air and the exhaust so it was noticable straight away that something is a miss.

Any ideas what could be wrong with either the car that's making the turbo whine, or is it the turbo itself?

We checked all the cooler hoses and the intake pipe (mine is metal) is still on.

I've got and ARC cooler.

Thanks guys!

ash

mmm... im thinking it is.

but could something else making it do it ???? (unlikely i know)

BTW anyone know how much a rebuild should cost ?

But then, i can get it 'tinkered' with too while it's off... and get some more out of it, this situation might not be all bad

one other thing.

My RB20 turbo was making a noise.

It turned out to be the gasket between the turbo and the manifold (on the block)

it seems that one of my bolts had fallen off and the heat at that corner started to burn out the gasket and eventially melt it and air was escaping through there and whining it's head off.

turbo was in perfect condition.

But if yours has a lot of thrust play (as in back and forth in to the turbo, not side to side), then you may have issues..

Although, a little play is normal.

If it is a gasket, it will set you back less than $50 for the gaskets and who knows how much to pull the turbo off and replace the gasket.

R31Nismoid, if you have to pull the turbo off, you can do it yourself. I've done a how-to in the Maintenance section, do a search. And since I've also got a T04E, you will probably be able to follow it word for word :(

Guest RedLineGTR

does it make chocolate milkshakes too??? hope everything turns out okay....everything happens for a reason maybe its time for more power..

my car done the same thing today.. sh*t my self.. stupid stocko bov caused it.. took it off and blocked up the whole and its all sweet.. check everything else before you go taking it off and getting it rebuilt.. could be a gasket? or a stuffed bov.. :(.. it was a wheezing noise when boost came on?

Guest RedLineGTR

rbs13 had the same thing with my stock BOV (R33) when i re greased it, started making these whistle like sounds when revs were held about 2000rpms and probably higher but had a pod etc so couldnt hear it.

Have u made sure its not the obviouse though?

wouldnt want to be up for the cost of a rebuild only to find out it was a leaky gasket

make sure it gets proven to you that it is the bearing when the turbo is all off

i recently replaced my turbo with an aftermarket item...it was suprisingly easy to do :S