SAU Community

My Turbo sounds like a blender!!!

R31Nismoid

mmm... yeah... i may aswell pull of the turbo and see :)

But a rebuild (if only a gasker) is like $350-400... so it probably can do with one anyways lol!

Plus i might fiddle with it too while it's off, for that extra little bit more.

But yours is easy to get to... i've got my bloody ehxuast manifold to get around, and that's a headache without even starting :(

yeah iv noticed those GTS-r manifolds make it hard to get to the turbo...not only that u gotta get to those water/oil lines

those were the biggest headaches really, that rear water feed line caused numours amount of bruises :(

Plus i might fiddle with it too while it's off, for that extra little bit more

haha you just love to fiddle with things :)

have u at least just taken off the intake pipe to look for shaft play?

Originally posted by R31Nismoid

mmm... yeah... i may aswell pull of the turbo and see  :)

But a rebuild (if only a gasker) is like $350-400... so it probably can do with one anyways lol!

Plus i might fiddle with it too while it's off, for that extra little bit more.

But yours is easy to get to... i've got my bloody ehxuast manifold to get around, and that's a headache without even starting  :(

Yeah, if yours is a bitch to get off (I didn't realise that the R31's engine was that much different from the R33's) it is probably wise to get a rebuild either way.

When I took my turbo in to Garrett he said that it might be a good idea to rebuild it even though it was fine, depending on how hard it was to remove and replace. Since it took me around an hour each way (I think), I said I'd just pull it off again when it needs to come off. He agreed that that was the best plan :)

One thing I got told about but I don't know much about is that he said during the rebuild he could install a "360 degree thrust bearing" or something, which is designed to hold more boost (>16psi or so on the T04E). I've got no concept of what that is or why it's necessary, but ask the guy about it when you go in, it's probably worth getting.

Originally posted by JimX

Yeah, if yours is a bitch to get off (I didn't realise that the R31's engine was that much different from the R33's) it is probably wise to get a rebuild either way.  

One thing I got told about but I don't know much about is that he said during the rebuild he could install a "360 degree thrust bearing" or something, which is designed to hold more boost (>16psi or so on the T04E). I've got no concept of what that is or why it's necessary, but ask the guy about it when you go in, it's probably worth getting.

lol... i have an R33 engine (remember???) :(

Just not the factory R33 manifold... i still got the GTS-R one. much better i might add... but WAY more painful.

But i also agree.. if i get it off i may aswell do the rebuild. Not worth pulling it off again later on.

And as for holding more boost? Wouldn't it hold about 16-18psi anyways??? Hhrmm... interesting.

Do you have the numer for them (Garret) ? i'm struggling to find it.

Oops I should have double-checked your avatar text :cool:

The T04E should hold 16-18psi, the guy was referring to boost above that amount. The TO4E not terribly efficient above that boost level anyway so it might be a complete waste of time. Ask him about it anyway.

GARRETT TURBOCHARGERS

14 Alfred Rd Chipping Norton 2170 (02) 9755 3311

That's in Sydney obviously, if you can't find one in Melbourne you might have to ship it interstate :rolleyes: