SAU Community

T3 Question For My.....errr Starlet

rikjames

Calling T3 Experts!!! I've scored a T3 adapter for my boosted Toyota Starlet which is basically a 1.3l fwd shopping cart with a bit of poke! :D [/size] What i'm chasing is a bit of info on the T3 flanged turbo's.

Is there such a thing as a 'smallish' T3 which would be best suited to my 1.3L 4pot fury? :( The guy how had the adaptor previously was running a KKK26 which i believe is of some sort of euro monster. The adapter has a ex-gate to the dump.... Any thoughts or general comments appreciated!! :thumbsup: Thanks for reading!! Steve :)

post-59885-1234235913_thumb.jpg

Edited by rikjames

Calling T3 Experts!!! I've scored a T3 adapter for my boosted Toyota Starlet which is basically a 1.3l fwd shopping cart with a bit of poke! :D What i'm chasing is a bit of info on the T3 flanged turbo's.

Is there such a thing as a 'smallish' T3 which would be best suited to my 1.3L 4pot fury? :( The guy how had the adaptor previously was running a KKK26 which i believe is of some sort of euro monster. The adapter has a ex-gate to the dump.... Any thoughts or general comments appreciated!! :thumbsup: Thanks for reading!! Steve :)

i have seen people turbo briggs & stratton engines on you tube, maybe message one of them to see what turbo they are using.

Is there such a thing as a 'smallish' T3 which would be best suited to my 1.3L 4pot fury? :thumbsup:

Hey man - one of my mates has a EP82 which he was running SMALL T3 turbine side (~.42a/r or less) with a 60trim T3 compressor wheel.... probably along the lines of a Skyline T3 turbo smaller than an R33 one though he has always been a bit vague on it. I will pick his brain and come back, but I'd guess it was in the territory of an RB20DET turbo.

It drove remarkably well - felt much more solid than you'd expect, a little laggy but in such a light car it didn't seem to hinder it and once it passed 4000rpm the thing pulled HARD to redline. The thing touched flat 13s (or high 12s?) on >200,000km stock internals and was a complete hoot to drive like that.... its got a bit more of a serious since then though.

Hey man - one of my mates has a EP82 which he was running SMALL T3 turbine side (~.42a/r or less) with a 60trim T3 compressor wheel.... probably along the lines of a Skyline T3 turbo smaller than an R33 one though he has always been a bit vague on it. I will pick his brain and come back, but I'd guess it was in the territory of an RB20DET turbo.

It drove remarkably well - felt much more solid than you'd expect, a little laggy but in such a light car it didn't seem to hinder it and once it passed 4000rpm the thing pulled HARD to redline. The thing touched flat 13s (or high 12s?) on >200,000km stock internals and was a complete hoot to drive like that.... its got a bit more of a serious since then though.

Thanks Lithium!

A mate has a R33 and he has a spare ebay bought brand new T3 (not sure if it's a T3/T4 hybrid) - Are there specific R33 and R32 T3's?

Do both run a internal gate?

....and who's your mate with the starlie? :D

Edited by rikjames

A mate has a R33 and he has a spare ebay bought brand new T3 (not sure if it's a T3/T4 hybrid) - Are there specific R33 and R32 T3's?

Do both run a internal gate? ....and who's your mate with the starlie? :down:

All the Skyline turbos are internally gated, the R32 has a smaller turbo than the R33s. The Skyline turbos probably aren't a good option come to think of it as you'd really need to run a bit of boost and they are effectively glued together. An R33 one MIGHT be ok, how much power are you after or how much boost do you intend on running? I'm not sure if you are talking about using the stock R33 turbo or an eBay upgrade, I'd warn against going down that path.

I asked him about it and he said it was advertised as being off a 300ZX, probably a VG30ET turbo - and he put a .3 turbine housing off a LD20 turbo to bring it on quicker. He reckons the LD20 turbo is a good base but the compressor wheel is a bit small.

I can see the logic in turbocharging a 1300 twin cam but dunno about with a "T3" flanged turbo let alone an old dinosaur T3 turbo .

To quantify , the T3 flange/footprint is pretty big for the sort of exhaust gas flow a 1300 four puts out and not that easy to package on a smallish exhaust manifold . Its this very reason that Nissan went to the T25/28 footprint on SR20s and RB26s - they are compact and easily up to the task flange size wise .

On someone elses computer I have a link to I think an Australian starlet site - to a thread about some fella doing a Mitsibushi TD04HL turbo for his Starlet GT . Does EP82 sound familiar ?

Your call but if you can get the factory exhaust manifold from a turbo Starlet this could be a good starting point .

If they used a TD04 and a suitable turbine housing - or mount flange style - I can give you lots of info on TD04's .

People write these turbos of as useless because all the Rex boys throw em away for a TD05 , they don't do their homework to find out about the full range of turbines and compressors available in the TD04 range .

When I find the starlet thread I'll find what that fella used but I'm pretty sure the cartridge was a TD04HL 19T .

Cheers A .

I would have headed in that direction if it weren't for the fact that he actually has the T3 flange setup already, and I have been in a Starlet of the exact same model running a T3 turbo on it with no problem whatsoever. I honestly wouldn't have believed how well it behaved on the street if I hadn't experienced it first hand - i doubt I'd want such a thing to come on any faster as the doughiness down low was enough to stop it from frying the tyres uncontrollably.

I've also been in a Starlet running a WRX TD04 (and for that matter one running a T25) and the difference between the lot isn't half as obvious as you'd expect. For what its worth the car has been upgraded to run a .63a/r turbine housing and a Super60 compressor wheel and is still perfectly streetable, just last weekend it did a 12.4 @ 113mph on 12psi (seriously!!!) - it has some bigger injectors and pump to go in for a retune to find the limit of the turbo and some faster times.

Edited by Lithium

This is the site and thread I was thinking of .

It sounds like he is using a Subie spec (both coolant holes on same side) WRX TD04L 13T/6 with the housings bored out to suit the larger sized "HL" spec turbine and 19T compressor wheel .

http://www.austarletclub.com/forums/index....1&hl=TD04HL

Silly me was not thinking of Toyotas and CT series turbos , std on those sounds like a CT9 .

Hope this helps , cheers A .

Thanks Gang!

Yeah i'm an active member on the austarletclub forum - i did the turbo half cut conversion myself into the later ep91. (rewired the sucker twice - that's fun)

The TD04 off the rexies is a popular upgrade and even the TF035's off the forrester's which have a slightly smaller exhaust housing.

The T3 swap isn't to popular and there is minimal info on the starlie site regarding T3's.

As i got the adapter/ex gate/dump for a steal (no not stolen :huh: - $65) i thought it best to research the possibility of putting a T3 turbo on....

The plan is to keep it driveable, not thrown bucketloads of $$ at it and have fun in it... currently she's churning out a blistering 93kw on my first SAFC tune but with a few little things to tidy up and new actuator i should be able to get it up to abt 110... not bad for the stock CT9 Turbo, stock injectors, FMIC & Log exh mani...

Massive thanks Mr Lith & Discopotato03 - you guys are gangsta!