SAU Community

Sydneykid, question for you...

acediac

Hi guys, my experience has been that any GTR that sees a race circuit should have a larger sump with baffles fitted. It matters not what tyres or how hard you are running it. I have seen a standard GTR (exhaust only) with standard suspension and road tyres run a big end bearing in 3 laps.  

In my opinion it's simply not worth the risk, circuit = sump & baffles.

I was having a look at an R32 GTR manual, and there seems to be a sump baffle already in the sump?? I have an R33 GTR so I would expect the same? Or are those baffles not enough?

In any case, is it necessary to go a bigger sump? Unique autosports has a Tomei Sump Baffle Kit for $450 that apparently bolts on,

http://www.uniqueautosports.com/pricelists...TR%20engine.htm

Would something like that do? A bigger sump would mean a different oil pump too right?

Then we gotta figure an oil cooler too.... sheesh... these cars aint cheap to own... I thort GTRs were race-track ready road machines??

r33 has a baffle too ok for street driving if u want to do track work u need more , g forces move the oil aroung and the pick up my run dry especialy if the oil level is down a little .i hope u know u have to remove the engine to remove and fit the sump !!!

u cant do it on the car . if u run short of oil number 6 big end usualy goes first .

Hey wrxhoon, do you know anything about that tomei sump baffle kit? It sounds like it is just a bolt-in job. Do you normally have to weld the baffles in?

Some good side-to-side baffles with the stock sump and stock oil pump should work good, right?

On another note, I notice you have an r33 gtr and 01wrx, how do they compare on the track, handling wise? Which do you prefer?

Cheers!

acediac ,i 'm not sure about the tomi sump baffle kit but the ones that i have seen u dont have to weld them , u unbolt the stock baffle and u bolt the aftermarket in its place , it has a lot more baffles in it and usualy they want yours as an exchange .

i currently have 01 rex but its stock so its a good everyday car and it doesnt atract any attention , as for track its just not quick enough , gutless realy .

on the other hand the gtr is heaps quicker and it handles bettr too . i have a set of 18x10 's with 265x35x18's , exhaust and 15 psi boost so its much more fun to drive but i do like the sound of the rex , they have a unique sound .

Hi acediac. my suggestions follow your questions....

**I was having a look at an R32 GTR manual, and there seems to be a sump baffle already in the sump?? I have an R33 GTR so I would expect the same? Or are those baffles not enough?

Exactly the same

**In any case, is it necessary to go a bigger sump? Unique autosports has a Tomei Sump Baffle Kit for $450 that apparently bolts on,

They need more oil as well as baffles, so we always do sump (wider not deeper) with wings and baffles (one way trap doors). Similar to these....

http://www.highenergy.com.au

**A bigger sump would mean a different oil pump too right?

Nope, you can use the standard oil pump and pick up.

**Then we gotta figure an oil cooler too....

Yep, I would strongly recommend an oil cooler.

**sheesh... these cars aint cheap to own... I thort GTRs were race-track ready road machines.

They are track ready, as long as you stay within the limits, most people don't, so you gotta pay, nobody said they were cheap.

Hope that helps

Hi DCIEVE, the rear wheel drive sumps don't seem to display the same problems as the 4wd. I have never seen an RB20 turn the warning light on under brakes, unless the oil level is way low. Even with R type tyres and a serious brake set up. The only other thing could be a damaged sump. SR20's are renown for suffering oil starvation is there is the slightest dent in the sump under the pick up. I’d check those two things first.

Hope that helps

acediac, what sort of use are you talking about for the GTR.

It seems to me there is some very over the top concerns about GTRs not having sump baffles.

I fully accept Sydneykid's point that track driven GTRs need additional baffling or doors to prevent starvation and expensive engine blow ups.

But the point is, Sydneykid is working with experienced race drivers running cars very hard on a track.

This is *totally* different to the way ppl treat the car on a road or even, for most people, how they would drive on a casual track day.

Head out on a track one day with someone who has raced and you will see that it is *far* more hard on the car than you could imagine.