SAU Community

Gtr Injectors In Rb20

Rekin

Hey,

Planning on installing GTR injectors into my rb20 this weekend and wanted to know how straight-forward it is.

Ive been reading up a couple of threads but majority of them are cluttered with useless jibba-jabba :D

Ive read the best way is to remove the top part of the plenumn to get easy access to the injectors.

Ive purchased the following from a Nissan Dealer; Are these the only gaskets needed?

N1617553J00 Gasket - Throttle Chamber - $18.00

N2378540F00 Gasket - AAC Valve - $3.40

N1403272L01 Gasket - Intake Manifold - $13.60

My injector cleaner workshop said to place grease around the rings when pushing the injectors onto the fuel rail. Ive heard some grease can eat rubber? Which grease is best to apply to create a tight seal.

Does anyone have pictures of where the GTR Resistor pack was fitted in the engine bay in their r32 rb20?

Anyone have photos of the wiring to the resistor pack and any tips on how to easily determine which wire?

Also any other tips / hints when installing gtr injectors :)

I'll update this thread after Saturday with some progress pictures to help people in the future.

edit; Ill be doing the work in wheelers hill, victoria. If you've done the wiring before and are willing to give us a hand, please PM me :yes:

Thanks

Patrick

i mounted mine on the opposite side above the brake booster, so it was away from any extra heat,

i also replaced my injector wiring plugs with some new ones as the rb20 ones are slightly different to GTR ones but with some filing they can fit, this was also cause the old plastic had turned a bit brittle over age and another thing the new ones had a spring style clip so you didn't loose the little wire retaining clip.

You should use vaseline as the lube for your o rings,

The power wire from the resistor i just took strait to the battery but installed a fuse in the line, this also give a good decent 12'v for you injector power

and as soon as you strip the insulation off the injector wiring the wires become a bit more obvious, and you don't have specific wires out of the resistor to join to specific injectors as long as you join all six wires to each injector.

I dont think you can but them separate.

you can get the coil pack loom separate

AFM/injector etc i think is full loom only, i could be wrong but i know AFM is full loom only... ripe pain in the ass.

Full loom is only $770 though, i know as im buying one tomorrow :)

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to try and put in the injectors this weekend. Some tips for people doing it in the future.

- Much easier to install injectors if manifold is pulled off.

- No need to pull off throttle body, leave it attached to manifold and just remove the cross over pipe etc

- There is 12 bolts holding the manifold, 6 you can see easily near the strut tower, the other 6 are deeper under the manifold.

- Manifold gasket will rip when removing manifold, and will need to scrub it off (took me 30-40mins with a razor blade)

- With manifold pulled off, easier to remove the fuel rail and old injectors.

- 3 injector connectors are on main loom and another 3 are on a smaller loom connected by a plug to the main loom.

- GTR injectors wont fit onto the rb20 injector connector's because the gtr injectors have 2 extra plastic notches.

- Can either trim off the notches or order GTR injector connectors from Nissan (As you wil be cutting the power wire from each connector to wire in resistor ballast, may as well just wire up new gtr connectors)

Here's a picture of what im up to haha

injector.jpg

Will update later with resistor ballast wiring.

Cheers

Ok. This is slightly off topic but here goes.....

I bought a set of GTR injectors for my RB20 and I was told that they have been modified to RB20 ohm.

Is this feasable or has someone just told me a load of bullshit???

If is is possible, how can this be tested?

Thanx.

Decided to try and put in the injectors this weekend. Some tips for people doing it in the future.

- Much easier to install injectors if manifold is pulled off.

- No need to pull off throttle body, leave it attached to manifold and just remove the cross over pipe etc

- There is 12 bolts holding the manifold, 6 you can see easily near the strut tower, the other 6 are deeper under the manifold.

- Manifold gasket will rip when removing manifold, and will need to scrub it off (took me 30-40mins with a razor blade)

- With manifold pulled off, easier to remove the fuel rail and old injectors.

- 3 injector connectors are on main loom and another 3 are on a smaller loom connected by a plug to the main loom.

- GTR injectors wont fit onto the rb20 injector connector's because the gtr injectors have 2 extra plastic notches.

- Can either trim off the notches or order GTR injector connectors from Nissan (As you wil be cutting the power wire from each connector to wire in resistor ballast, may as well just wire up new gtr connectors)

Here's a picture of what im up to haha

injector.jpg

Will update later with resistor ballast wiring.

Cheers

Don't you mean plenum (or Nissan terminology, "collector"), rather than intake manifold?

You don't need to pull the manifold off.

cheers,

sam

Thanks for help.

Did you buy your injector wiring plugs brand new? Any idea on what Nissan would charge for them?

cheers

Nah mine were generic ones from a shop in Hobart called Automotive Service Solutions, i'm guessing there would be a place similar to this where you are

http://www.efi.com.au/index.php

Nah mine were generic ones from a shop in Hobart called Automotive Service Solutions, i'm guessing there would be a place similar to this where you are

http://www.efi.com.au/index.php

yeah. my mechanic supplied me with some generic connectors which are perfect fit on the gtr injectors.

Also my rb20 plugs were all rusted inside and green from corrosion! One of them had barely any connection.

In order to wire the resistor ballast, i first tried to determine which 1 of the 2 wires to each plug was the voltage (which connects up to the other 2 plugs through the loom)

By setting the multimeter to resistance and putting the probe in one of the injector plug and then into the second injector plug you can search until the value on the screen shows 0.8~

This means that there is a resistance because both of them are connected somewhere inside the loom.

Hopefully that makes sense, ill try revise it after i get my car running :thumbsup:

Okay, i made this quickly in MSPaint, hopefully it will be easier to explain.

Basically, you can work out the linked connections without stripping apart the whole loom.

Just use a multimeter to try and find a closed loop. Also by using the 12v going to the loom (injector 4,5,6) it saves the hassle of stripping the main loom to find it.

Will have car put back together tomorrow and hopefully it will all start. haha

Hopefully the below makes sense

Cheers

gtrwiringrb20.jpg

Confirming the wiring i did above works.

Car is running perfectly with the gtr injectors.

Hope this helps people from not resorting to ripping apart the whole loom just to find the matching wires :laugh:

• 10 months later...

Oki pulling up an old thread due to talking about the same stuff in another topic which had nothing to do with it!

This is properly the smart way to do this and most likely will be doing it soon!

Q1: How much did the gasket cost that you ripped? do you have a part number?

Q2: How much is the ballast resistor? can we get some pics? so i can just go to the jap wrecker local and grab one ?

Q3: What did you use as lube for your seals? did you go with the Vaseline?

George :thumbsup:

Oki pulling up an old thread due to talking about the same stuff in another topic which had nothing to do with it!

This is properly the smart way to do this and most likely will be doing it soon!

Q1: How much did the gasket cost that you ripped? do you have a part number?

Q2: How much is the ballast resistor? can we get some pics? so i can just go to the jap wrecker local and grab one ?

Q3: What did you use as lube for your seals? did you go with the Vaseline?

George :D

Q1:

N1403272L01 Gasket - Intake Manifold - $13.60

Purchased from Nissan Dealer. Took a day to arrive.

Q2:

GTR Resistor ballast

22698-05U10resistor.jpg

Justjap sells brand new for $210

http://www.justjap.com/store/product.php?productid=17524

Chop the plug off, and you will have 7 wires. (6 injector wires and 1 power wire, which is probably the yellow colour one)

Q3:

Are you talking about the injector seals before pushing them onto the fuel rail? I cant remember what I used. When i picked up my cleaned injectors, the person mentioned something to use but I have forgot haha

Hope the above helps.