i bought it from nagoya motors

theres a couple things i need to clarify

my exhaust is above 90db and a mate said its illegal to put a silencer on it

is that true

also i have a blitz pod filter

is it best to case it or change it to a normal air filter

everything else bar the wheels is stock

attached is my car

this car is for my gf and i dun want her gettin hassles from cops specifically bout her car

and dont wanna be gettin defect notics lol

what is the best thing to do??

post-59984-1234502268_thumb.jpg

post-59984-1234502282_thumb.jpg

is that true

- technically speaking it's illegal if it's more than 90db. If i'm you go for the silencer if you don't want to be hassled by cops

- pod is fine. gains a couple of hp

are both of you P platers ?

na im not my mrs is...

so the pod aint a defect?

is that true

- technically speaking it's illegal if it's more than 90db. If i'm you go for the silencer if you don't want to be hassled by cops

are both of you P platers ?

Pod IS a defect if it's not properly enclosed (rules might be different in WA), so either buy or make a decent surround for it. Having a surround will also minimise the amount of hot air getting into the engine, although this should automatically be a bit lower due to the fact that this car is a non-turbo.

Providing the pod isn't drawing hot air in from around the engine.

I would put something around it for two reasons

1. To make it look enclosed

2. To get cooler air from outside the engine bay.

As for the exhaust, +1 with what Abo Bob said, a better muffler would be the way to go.

Other than that it looks like you have a pretty clean looking R34 :P

I really wouldn't worry about the exhaust if your gf is driving it and it's not really that loud - most aren't from what I've seen. But then again it depends on the area where you live and what the cops are like. I rarely get pulled over and was never asked to even pop my bonnet or anything about my exhaust...

As for the pod, get a panel filter ..that's a straight defect unless it's fully enclosed. I spoke to a couple of experienced skyline mechanics and they said pod filters are a wank factor for the most part and most road driven skylines.

I was looking to buy that car for a while, congrats on the buy it looks great! Im buying a NA R34 aswell and the exaust on it is a 4.5" Powerpro so i got to ask the seller if its under 90db. Only thing that put me off that was the price, the last R34 NA Auto went for 11500 here but it was a silver one so hopefully yours will do a little better come time to sell. Hopefully you got a good price for it, i don't wna be rude but are you able to disclose how much you were able to get it down to? If not, i fully understand. All the best, I am buying a Black NA Manual R34 Next saturday aswell hopefully, check out my topic under General Automotive Discussion.

Great car! All the best mate

Danny

Edited by squareznboxez

I really wouldn't worry about the exhaust if your gf is driving it and it's not really that loud - most aren't from what I've seen. But then again it depends on the area where you live and what the cops are like. I rarely get pulled over and was never asked to even pop my bonnet or anything about my exhaust...

As for the pod, get a panel filter ..that's a straight defect unless it's fully enclosed. I spoke to a couple of experienced skyline mechanics and they said pod filters are a wank factor for the most part and most road driven skylines.

yea i know

im from the south west and cops around here are the biggest wanks

the pod came with the car

ill get it fully enclosed

just a bit paranoid i guess hahaha

thanks guys you have been a big help

if your worried about defects just put it back to standard.... i'm on green p's and never been checked specifically for defects, i'm green p's, had the car for over a year, drive an r33 gts-t with exhaust that easily reaches over 90db and it also back fires when i change gears slowly, a pod, front mount and drive over 400km/week through sydney....

all just luck, also depending on the cop he can even defect you for an aftermarket exhaust thats under 90db if he wants to because of EPS laws and the car not being standard anymore.....

lol i would never let a GF drive my car

i dont even let my wife drive any of my cars at all!!!!

anyhow...

i dont know if you experienced anything with the cops

im guessig the law has tighted up in recent years?

previously the TT supra i had few years ago had a loud custom muffler.. it was actually 135db when tested at the exhaust shop. it was louder than any WRX...

but on low gear it wasnt that loud....even the 3 times ive got pulled over for speeding......they did not pick it out & got away with defects.

well if i were you id personally get a better quiter muffler and leave the pod for now....

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

very nice car mate, i got a p plater skyline 5 months and havent been pulled over. im not stupid in it so there is no need i guess. my car is very very loud 2 lol just tell her to do the rite thing and she will be fine :)