SAU Community

Tony Quin Wins Rally Tasmania

Wogboy

I saw this car in action yesterday. it is unbelievably quick. But it is very hard on brakes, the officaials at the end of the stage said it was the onlt car to have glowing rotors at the end of the stage. And the once gold calipers have turned a poo brown colour because of the heat. I'll be interested to see how is lasts Targa Tas (esp if it's got proper rubber by then).

oh and it was the best sounding car in the field. only thing that is better is the lambo's (which weren't entered)

Edited by sav man

I saw this car in action yesterday. it is unbelievably quick. But it is very hard on brakes, the officaials at the end of the stage said it was the onlt car to have glowing rotors at the end of the stage. And the once gold calipers have turned a poo brown colour because of the heat. I'll be interested to see how is lasts Targa Tas (esp if it's got proper rubber by then).

oh and it was the best sounding car in the field. only thing that is better is the lambo's (which weren't entered)

The Lambo's and maybe the Daytona's - but the R35 is right up there for sure.

Buggered if I know how to embed a video so here's a quick link to Tony's car in action -

Not sure if this was on the same set of tyres he used for TWP but if so it is even more impressive given that will be 3 tarmac rallies he's done on the one set of rubber.

Yep, big congrats to Tony and Naomi! Excellent result, it was close all weekend, but I'm glad that my winner prediction was correct :laugh:

Hey, will you and the Hi Octane GTR be here for Targa?

Hey, will you and the Hi Octane GTR be here for Targa?

Hi mate. Yes, Russ will be there in the Hi Octane gtr.... I was going to nav for him but have decided to drive my own car.

35's should be thick on the ground! :laugh:

Good to see a Skyline get up there and win for Nissan.

But i hope this isnt taken as a negative thought or in anyway taking away from their achievement but this could almost mark the day that Skynet starts to dominate rallying...

Good to see a Skyline get up there and win for Nissan.

But i hope this isnt taken as a negative thought or in anyway taking away from their achievement but this could almost mark the day that Skynet starts to dominate rallying...

I can't see how any of that could be taken as negative Roy?

I don't have an issue if a particul car tends to dominate rallying as such, and I believe that just about any front running car can have its day, given conditions that suit it and a crew that is prepared to push really hard, and possibly bin it

I was watching the times all weekend, and have no doubt that both Jim and Tony were both pushing very very hard, and also that the conditions really suited their particualr cars.

Remember that this was a short event, with no limit on tyre changes (did Tony Quinn even change one? :laugh:) and it was also dry. For those two guys to have such a big gap on Vandenbergs and Longhurst (3rd and 4th) is a real feat!

Congratulations to Tony and Naomi (my future sister in law) for winning this event and i hoe to see alot more wins from them this year yet as they have alot more races coming up this year.

It is great to see the GTR really starting to show its true colours and Tony is still learning the car so hopefully better things are still yet to come.

Hi mate. Yes, Russ will be there in the Hi Octane gtr.... I was going to nav for him but have decided to drive my own car.

35's should be thick on the ground! :laugh:

Look forward to catching up with both of you when you come through Burnie!

Remember that this was a short event, with no limit on tyre changes (did Tony Quinn even change one? :)) and it was also dry.

There was definitely a tyre changed involved - Quinn's fronts were worse than shagged on Saturday night!

It was brilliant to see Tony and Naomi take the win - Jimmy was a man on a mission this weekend and they had to fight for every second they got up on him and Barry.

We pulled up next to Tony after the last stage to offer what we hoped were to be their first lot of congratulations- even then he wasn't sure he'd done enough to keep Jim from first - it was just that close.

The 35 is absolutely going to dominate tarmac rallying once the tyres get properly sorted.

There was definitely a tyre changed involved - Quinn's fronts were worse than shagged on Saturday night!

It was brilliant to see Tony and Naomi take the win - Jimmy was a man on a mission this weekend and they had to fight for every second they got up on him and Barry.

We pulled up next to Tony after the last stage to offer what we hoped were to be their first lot of congratulations- even then he wasn't sure he'd done enough to keep Jim from first - it was just that close.

The 35 is absolutely going to dominate tarmac rallying once the tyres get properly sorted.

Awesome results!

And what of the tyres, is there anything on the radar?

Yeah, was running Dunlops day 1 and Bridgestones the rest? Judging from the photos ...

Bloody awesome work on the Bridgestones.