SAU Community

Unsure Of What To Do

Adz2332

Ive contacted a few wreckers and the cheapest RB26 is around $7500. But that comes with everything, manifolds, turbos etc etc 3 months warentee. So i could sell off my old engine plus turbos etc as i wont need it...

There is a private sale in Perth, $4000 comes with everything so again i could sell it all off and come out cheaper etc but of course no warentee etc...

But one wreckers will do it for $3500 but its a bare bare engine. Plus you have to give them your old Bare engine.... also 3 months warentee...

What would you do??

Is it worth the chance with the private sale that the engine is good etc etc? As it will work out cheaper in the long run?

Or do the $3500 for a bare engine and put it all together myself but then wont be able to sell anything, may work out a bit more expensive but have the warentee...

Or go the $7500 and try to recope some of my money by selling off all of my old parts and old engine etc..?

Just a bit up in the air....

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be looking at it that a full motor you've found being $7500 as opposed to $10000 for a rebuild... hence I'd go a rebuild but I know that's not what you asked :D

If it were me and wanting to get rid of the car I'd chance the 3500 one, see if he has a comp test for it then go that way. Remember you are getting rid of it, no point spending the extra money (or hassle selling off peices) if you don't have to.

Just how I look at it :(

Id be rebuilding the current engine, or grabbing the 4k (plus shipping) perth option.

problem is the aussie $$ atm, if this happened June last year youd be rebuilding for ~$6ish

LOOK around more. MOAR I SAY :D

research heaps on the net - get the complete parts list you need. I reckon shopping around world wide on the net you can get all your parts cheap enough

then hassel and hassel some more for a good price for labour for the rebuilding, rundown and tune process.

Raw Brokerage have an engine for $3500usd. Buy other parts from them and get shipping cheaper. http://shop.rawbrokerage.com/category.sc?categoryId=31

Lewis Engines do a basic $6500 rebuild job. thats a good starting point IMHO. http://www.lewisengines.com.au/prod245.htm

For another $3000 for a fully decked out head and you'd be loving it ! http://www.lewisengines.com.au/prod178.htm

Id be chatting to Lewis Engines about your current engine and parts you have and what you want out of it.

good luck. But yeah for say 8-9k you can be onroad again pulling decent power knowing everything is fresh and ready & waiting for more when you are.

I'd also try ringing around some other engine rebuilders not just ones synonymous for working on high performance imports.

At the end of the day a motors a motor, as long as the builder is competant and everything is built correctly and within tolerances i cant imagine there really being issues. That and most places should offer you some sort of warranty period. Same goes with the machine work, as long as the rebuilder is competent then should be no issue. I've heard of guys that have had high power sr's etc being built at places like city dismantlers and having no probs. That said i most likely wouldnt go there, not for any particular reason but yeh just dont think i could bring myself to :) .

A quick call around by me found prices varying from mid 4k to mid 6k for the same work (mild forged rebuild)

Edited by WhO

lol!

But seriously i cant really keep the car and buy a house so the car will be sold off. Which i am pretty cut about but hey cant have it all right...

And as far as the labour costs i have a friend who is a mechanic who will pull out the engine and replace the engine back in it for me etc so there wont be any charge there. Also he will pull it down and put the other parts on the new engine if need be etc...

Im loiking the idea of going to the wreckers in Adleaide. As has been said, its just less of a hassel. You go there pick it up done etc....

But yer i was just asking for advice thats all

Oh and as far as can i hold onto it. I really cant have it sitting around to long. So it will be brought back to standered and sold off cheap cheap....

Then ill sell off the proformance parts

Sometimes i think its easier and CHEAPER to sell off the girlfriend lol

Edited by Adz2332

if you have made up your mind in about selling the car

then i would suggest start selling the accessories/aftermarket parts now mate

it will be all sold hopefully before your car is ready and then all you have to worry about is selling the car.

PS i will buy the strut brace if it fits my car today!

It's Lobotomy. Removal of the frontal lobe of the brain, used to be done to mental patients. What they did to Jack Nicholson's character, McMurphy, in the movie "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"

nah he meant Labotomy. Its when you remove the brain from a Labrador.

-D

Ok I dont know the full story...But how bad is your engine????

Cheapest option would be to just throw some new pistons,rings and bearings in her.. Depending on how bad the crank is would need a linish and crack test atleast and maybe hone the bores :laugh:

Just becasue you throw "standard items" back in doesn't mean it's not strong..It cant handle stupid power but a fresh rebuild sells GTRs quicker than a engine being put in that you dont know what's in inside it! Also while its open I would throw a sump baffle in it and the oil restictor in the head

This way you can sell off your aftermarlet parts as well..

Well i took it to boostworks and they had a listern and said it has a huge knock and the main bearing was spun. Full engine rebuild.

Including new crank, head recon, recon the bores etc etc

What number bearing?? Have you tested and seen the crank yet..sometimes they can be saved!

Why dio you need a head recon :laugh:

Honing of the bores is standard in a rebuild..

I would definately crack it open and see how bad it is..either way you will be rebuilding that engine or buying another one to put in..

not sure what bearing....

But they said the head would need a recon or freshen up etc just by the sound of it, if that makes sense...

and also said even if the crank can be saved it would be over $500 to have it tidied up etc