SAU Community

r30 skylines

rsx84

What are the gear ratios in the DR30 box?  And what ratio diffs did DR30's come with?

Cheers

Gear box ratios im not to sure about, maybe check FJ20.com and suss the engine spec's or something see if has anything to do with gearbox ratios on it *shrugs* A suggestion...Diff ratios, i beleive the turbo car's came with a 3.9 and the atmo DR came with a 4.1:1...

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, i got $200 backpay from work after a union deal, so it brought me tantalisingly close to intercooler instal money .. so i cancelled the polyurethane bushes for a few weeks and got my car booked in for Hybrid intercooler & BOV install next week :mad:

im keen to see how it goes, costing me $900 in stainless tho, bit exxy :cheers:

Yep, tax time aye, gonna do mine hell early this time compared to last yr! :cheers:

Hey [ant] where do you recommend i get that muffler that we discussed like a while ago (page 63 of this thread)? Repco sold out of those POD air filters, gotta go looking again for them as well. Theyre everywhere right? and they sell the adapters? Would they sell any adapters for a car so old?

I wanna get a BOV as well after those 2 probably, or might even get it done with the muffler if they do them...

Cheers man...

rsx84 - how easy are GTR cams to fit? wat gains do they have over stock cams? would they be a cheaper good cam upgrade rather than Tomei or something?

yas - mufflers you get from any exhaust place really, they all sell some for of stainless steel mufflers which is what you want. just decide where you want to go to get the muffler put on and have at look at their mufflers while your there.

yup the pod filters are the same anywhere really, Repco, SuperCheap, Auto Pro, Works Autos, they all do cheap pod filters ~$30 or less. the adaptor that you get isnt a car specific adaptor, its just a general 3" bolt on adaptor for the pod to fit onto. theres only one type of adaptor u get.

When i get my old intercooler out next week ill be selling it, it has a blow off valve already on the piping too, but it isnt a very loud one. but you could get that one removed and fit a different one yourself. probably sell the Cooler, piping to suit FJ20, and Bov for $200 or so.

Cool man thanks for the info hey!

Will look into both of that next week. How long have you had your intercooler for? Has it had any problems at all or been pretty smooth sailing? You can say i'm pretty interested in the cooler hey, how much of a performance gain will it have or is it a bit hard to tell? And finally with the BOV what's ur definition of not-very-loud? I would like it somewhat audible :cheers:

Thanks in advance.

hey dude,

the cooler has been on the car since its been in the country. its been perfect since ive had it no problems with it at all. im not sure how hard itd be to put on your car but it should be really easy, mite need 1 pipe modified and thats it to get it to fit. but id need to have a look at your engine and see. can give u a hand to chuck it in if you like since ive seen how it goes in my car.

it is hard to tell what gain you'll have. but you will definately get a gain that you will notice simply coz of the cooler air. also, i run 1bar (14.7psi) through this cooler all day without any worries, even in 30 degree temperatures, so if you buy a bleed valve and increase your boost (bleed valve ~$100) u can also run 1bar boost and then you will get more of a gain. but itd be better to get 3" exhaust done before increasing boost really.

be much healthier for you engine just in general too it wont run as hot in summer and stuff. im not sure of differences in Compression Ratios between the Factory Intercooled & Non-Intercooled FJ20's, but the intercooled one has about 20hp more than the non intercooled. so u should gain say 10hp or so from the intercooler. plus yeh the ability to turn the boost up later on.

id need to have another good look at the BOV i reckon. its audible from in the car u hear it go TSH but not that audible outside the car. but it definately works, the lag between gears is less with the BOV. but yeah, once the old cooler and BOV is removed im going to take it apart again and give it a full clean out with WD40 and make sure its all clean and nice inside. i think its just a quiet BOV hey!

the link below is the same cooler kit that is on my car, however the piping is all that Blue colour and doesnt have Trust or Greddy written on it. also, mine only has 2 things for injectors, and theyre both covered up since i dont use them. the BOV on mine is down near the air filter/RHS headlight on the bottom pipe.

http://www.c-red.com.au/stock/dr2/dr2e.jpg

tax time again boys anyone got a shopping list yet? mines gtr cams and adj cam gears plus fitting...

Sorry to disappoint you Matt, but GTR Cams will be a problem for you.

GTR's have SOLID lifters and RB20's have HYDRAULIC, but WHY????? on earth would you want to go down in duration.

GTR cams have a duration time of 240 degrees, where RB20's have 248.

I no understand your logic.

AND I have said before, you have the BEST cam maker in Australia, just near you in Queensland, and they will make you ANYTHING.

I have 264's on order and as for adjustable cam gears, don't get sucked in with Jap ones, UAS has modified stockies for $185.00 pair, heaps better than HKS, as they retain the steel gear.

Ant - GTR camshaft won't fit in your FJ20 because of the simple fact that RB26's are 6 cyl and FJ's are 4 cyl. Or did you think rsx84 had an FJ in his car, not a RB20????

hahah yeh after i posted that i closed site and went ah **** wtf he has an RB20 in his car its a 6 bleh but i couldnt be bothered re-signing in and retracting that statement.

*shrug* hows ur DR going neway boj?

ATM its in getting a respray, still a week and a half to go. Once thats done, I've got a DNA FMIC + Blitz BOV going on it. Once the Front Mount has been completed, I'm getting my rear seat retrimmed and bolstered into 2 seats rather than a bench, including material to match my R34 GTT front seats! How's about you???

sounds good :) how much the respray costing you? any rust to fix? mine has had a respray but not been prepped properly, has rust areas here and there, quoted around 2500-3000$ to fix the rust up ;) so im leaving that till the end of the year.

yours still got stock turbo yeh?

mines going prety well i keep saying on here wat im getting done! haha cooler going in next week, then polyurethane front bushes round 3 weeks time, then saving for a Microtech LTX8. =)

i will fix the paint tho, love the DR :D

Mine only needs a partial repray + the notorious "rust in the strut towers" fixed. $2000 to respray boot, roof, bonnet, guards, doors, LHR 1/4 + fix rust in boot & LHF Strut Tower!

Yeah I'm still running standard turbo, but still undecided whether to spend any more money or not. Once I've got it all sorted I might get a T04E kit + Autronich Engine Management. Damm I wish money grew on trees!

Sorry to disappoint you Matt, but GTR Cams will be a problem for you.

GTR's have SOLID lifters and RB20's have HYDRAULIC, but WHY????? on earth would you want to go down in duration.

GTR cams have a duration time of 240 degrees, where RB20's have 248.

I no understand your logic.

AND I have said before, you have the BEST cam maker in Australia, just near you in Queensland, and they will make you ANYTHING.

I have 264's on order and as for adjustable cam gears, don't get sucked in with Jap ones, UAS has modified stockies for $185.00 pair, heaps better than HKS, as they retain the steel gear.

i was going to just get an adj exhaust cam gear then i found this thread or one like it and they seem to think that there are some small gains to be made from the gtr cams??

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/sh...ead.php?t=38857

i was going to just get an adj exhaust cam gear then i found this thread or one like it and they seem to think that there are some small gains to be made from the gtr cams??

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/sh...ead.php?t=38857

I have posted my thoughts on the thread so! now I just wait and see what response I get.

BUT!!!! it seems they are experiencing heaps of trouble with idle etc, maybe it's due to the profile shape as the primary difference between solid & hydraulic lifter cams.

Anyway, why pay $300+ for second hand GTR when $850 gets you BRAND NEW anything you want.

If you do go down that track, you got a g'teed deal sale on your RB20DET cams, cause I will take them.

Adam,

If your not chasing monster HP and keeping your FJ relatively stock, then what you have is more than adequate. Just put Green Stuff on the front and Black on the rear. The good thing with EBC, it's relatively easy to get and being Kevlar based, it's very user/disc friendly.

I am only going to BNR32 GTR spec front brakes because I intend using it for super sprints at some point. As for pads I will use the same EBC's as I suggested above for normal road use, but for track I will upgrade to red fronts and get greens made for rear. Maybe Yellow & red combo, but then have to get both F & R made to order.

Rotors:  Shop around, there is some good ones coming in from o/seas now, slotted, but don't buy drilled, they can't handle extreme heat and CRACK. At all costs, stay away from DBA, if at all possible. They put a small notice inside the boxes, "not warranted under race conditions" unless you buy GOLD and they aren't available for DR sizes.

Also remember if they can't be found in listings as DR, they are identical to Z31 300ZX rotors.

Stuts:  Get someone to shorten the DR struts to accept R31 front inserts IF YOU INTEND LOWERING, as they're about 30mm shorter so piston travel doesn't become an issue.

Ghostrider can you please tell me what is involved in fitting BNR32 discs/calipers to DR30 please . Can the back side of the hub be machined to get the correct offset in relation to the calipers and will the 4 piston calipers bolt direct to the struts ? Thanks Adrian [email protected]

When installing an Autronic in a DR30 can it be spliced into the multipin connector in the middle of the firewall and so use the origional relays etc ? Anyone done this and know the wires to splice ? I removed my SMC from my Bluebird (FJ20ET) and re connected everything to its loom so all it should need from memory is earth and ign on power .

Thanks Adrian .

My late DR30RS dosen't see very well in the dark . Is there something in the way of bulbs I can use to up the candle power ante ? If not can MR30 lights be used with the matching skinny under light bit ?

Thanks Adrian  .

Got the same problem mate and since i drive at 2.00am all the time i had to start pumping the carrots, or alternativly just get those xeone bulbs they do a pretty good job also.