SAU Community

r30 skylines

rsx84

hello to all. my son and I have a 84 mr30 5 door hatch, all electric ,power ,air, has the L24E motor but we have slight problem the motor has a flat spot just off idle, had it at a couple of mechanics !!! with no results. 1 said that on idle it has 5 % fuel but as soon as you put the foot down it drops to 0.04% fuel thus it has no response. He said it could be the air flow meter or the TPS it was neither of these, costly to find out !! the car also has a set of lukey extractors and a 2 1/2 inch exhaust with a single muffler at the rear with a 3 inch tip (has a nice note to it) just wondering if anyone could suggest a possible reason what it could be. sorry for the long post Daryl

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can make your own if you have access to, or know a machine shop that can do the work/machining.

The threaded section and 'C' nuts can be purchased from Whiteline or Noltec, in kit form for around $400.00 pair.

Rears: Have to weld the threaded section (at a pre determined position, my suggestion, place the centre of the section at theoriginal spring seat position) to the rear dampers of your choice, but if it is to be lowered, may I suggest R31 rear dampers.

Fronts: Using your own strut, the spring seat has to be machined off and the threaded section welded on (at a pre determined position, same as above) If I was doing this conversion I would also do the modification to our R30 strut to accomodate the R31 insert.

Sprimgs of your own specs can be made by any reputable spring maker.

PEDDERS, will make them for you for about $1700.00 a pair using your own front struts.

Otherwise have to try Bilstein, Tein or ????? distributors

hello to all.  my son and I have a 84 mr30 5 door hatch, all electric ,power ,air, has the L24E motor but we have slight problem the motor has a flat spot just off idle, had it at a couple of mechanics !!! with no results. 1 said that on idle it has 5 % fuel but as soon as you put the foot down it drops to 0.04% fuel thus it has no response. He said it could be the air flow meter or the TPS it was neither of these, costly to find out !! the car also has a set of lukey extractors and a 2 1/2 inch exhaust with a single muffler at the rear with a 3 inch tip (has a nice note to it) just wondering if anyone could suggest a possible reason what it could be. sorry for the long post Daryl

Daryl,

TPS for sure!

It should have some adjustment to it, probably a mm or 2 each way, BUT be advised, mark it's original position with a white texta or similar, before stuffing around with it, so that you have a referrence point to work from.

Good luck

Dennis

thanks Dennis

I have tried an other TPS but by the sounds of it I will need an expert ,with fuel injection to look at it,

could any one suggest a good one on the Gold Coast

thanks again

Daryl

Daryl,

Was the other TPS, NEW!!! as if it was also second hand it could have been worn at idle position as well. Maybe you should try adjusting either or both first.

I consulted my race mechanic before I answered you and he is my resident EFI WIZZ, there isn't much he doesn't know, he is the NSW Distributor for EFI Hardware from Melbourne.

As for experts on the gold coast, PM RSX84, he is doing an RB conversion to an HR30, he might be able to point you in the right direction.

thanks Dennis

I have tried an other TPS but by the sounds of it I will need an expert ,with fuel injection to look at it,

could any one suggest a good one on the Gold Coast

thanks again

Daryl

don't know about "expert" Ghostrider, but i do know of two blokes here on the coast that could help you 84skyline, this is the bloke who fitted the engine for me his name is nick and he's on the gold coast hwy, labrador just past harbour town, he's an old russian bloke who will tell you how long the part has to live before just replacing it!! his number is (5563 7012) just say matt said to call you!

hes worked on both my r30s' and the r31 as well.

doing nothing online last night found fj24 stroker pistons.......  

Yum!

i remember reading ages ago about how hard it was to find the fj24, this was in a fast fours and rotor mag something like 9-10 years ago!! very sort after let along a factory fj24! any price for the locals?

don't know about "expert" Ghostrider, but i do know of two blokes here on the coast that could help you 84skyline, this is the bloke who fitted the engine for me his name is nick and he's on the gold coast hwy, labrador just past harbour town, he's an old russian bloke who will tell you how long the part has to live before just replacing it!! his number is (5563 7012) just say matt said to call you!

hes worked on both my r30s' and the r31 as well.

Thanks rsx84 I'll give him a call now, its hard to find any one good on the gold coast most a bit shonky all say and no knowllege thanks again

Daryl

Thanks rsx84 I'll give him a call now, its hard to find any one good on the gold coast most a  bit shonky all say and no knowllege thanks again

Daryl

i've had to take my car to three different places here on the coast so far, going to the second last place this weekend for all piping then to the engineer, most places i'll look into here either charge a fortune or don't have a glue?? good to get another R30 fan in this corner of OZ!!

P.S. if you everwant to put a turbo on the l24e i have a l20et turbo/manifold ECU and full 2 1/2" zorst just sitting here! should be good for bolt on 6-8??psi !!

Hi

I've got a DR30 RSX coupe

Pretty much standard apart from HKS pod and exhaust, KYB Super Special dampers, 15*6.5 Watanabes

My rotors are completely chewed out, I've been quoted $550+ to replace them and the pads (sent it down for machining, but theres too much runout :P)

Hi

I've got a DR30 RSX coupe

Pretty much standard apart from HKS pod and exhaust, KYB Super Special dampers, 15*6.5 Watanabes

My rotors are completely chewed out, I've been quoted $550+ to replace them and the pads (sent it down for machining, but theres too much runout :()

Hey Adam!! :wavey: Whats goin on son?? Hows the car going??? Did u block that pop off valve off??? Just be warey if u did cause i've heard of the wastegates on the standard turbo's sticking open which is what the pop off valve is for and why im in no hurry to take mine off! What kinda rotors and pads were they for $550 though???

Pretty much standard I think

Yeah, blocked it off that night, but then there was another leak, only found that on Friday night... ran really well but on Saturday night I revved it a bit much and popped one of the exhaust gaskets... huge exhaust leak.... getting that fixed with the brakes atm

i've had to take my car to three different places here on the coast so far, going to the second last place this weekend for all piping then to the engineer, most places i'll look into here either charge a fortune or don't have a glue?? good to get another R30 fan in this corner of OZ!!

P.S. if you everwant to put a turbo on the l24e i have a l20et turbo/manifold ECU and full 2 1/2" zorst just sitting here! should be good for bolt on 6-8??psi !!

I took the car to Nick yesterday, He checked this and checked that and said just as much as everyone else. He said may be the coil not enough power getting through. So I have now replaced the coil, plugs, leads, rotor and dizzy cap still to no avail Nick checked the fuel pressure it was good.But I'm still at a loss to what it could be. Spoke to another bloke from Gibbs street labradore he can't look at it till end of the month, he said maybe air flow meter to buy a new one($800 holy hell !!!) Also might be interested in that turbo gear ( how much ? ) Thanks Daryl

I took the car to Nick yesterday, He checked this and checked that and said just as much as everyone else. He said may be the coil not enough power getting through. So I have now replaced the coil, plugs, leads, rotor and dizzy cap still to no avail Nick checked the fuel pressure it was good.But I'm still at a loss to what it could be. Spoke to another bloke from Gibbs street labradore he can't look at it till end of the month, he said maybe air flow meter to buy a new one($800 holy hell !!!) Also might be interested in that turbo gear ( how much ? ) Thanks Daryl

are you using a standard afm? if so i've got a standard one and the turbo version just sitting here collecting dust, for $800 you could probibly get a r32 or r31 afm wired up??

They couldnt get the brake rotors for my car in the end :)

Crimmo, if its ok I'd love to come and have a look at how your suspension and brakes are set up, cos I'm going to have to do something similar very soon as my rotors have been skimmed to undersize so that its still driveable until I change to a rotor thats more readily available

I just live around the corner btw

Cheers

Adam

Boys,

Got the RB25 into the MR30 and things arnt looking to bad, apart from the transmission xmember. I read somewhere that some one made a successful transplant with one out of an R31. Has anybody actually done this. And if not what have others had success with.