SAU Community

Open Face Vs Full Face Helmet

Rekin

Hey all,

Going to start tracking my car and Im after a helmet.

I was wondering what is the most preferred helmet... Open face or Full face?

Full face seems quite restricted in air flow, as it covers your face and being in a car you dont have wind passing over the helmet..although it looks better and the stig has one! :worship:

Open face is much easier to put on (especially with my glasses) but its hard to find one which doesnt look suited for a scooter :)

What would be the best design for a trackday helmet :blink:

Thanks

Patrick

This is three for an open face.

I run a Sparco mainly because it's comfortable for my head shape, and as I wear glasses a full face is just way too much of a pain. Glasses mean even the Stilo open face with the built in microphone boom are a pain.

I have a full face and voteing for open face..

interesting, could you explain why you voting for the open face?

cheers all for response.

Will most likely get an open face helmet. The only open-faced helmets at bike shops are $100, and there isnt anything above. Rest are all full-faced..

Tried one of those full face flip-up's which convert to openface, but they feel very top heavy when its opened hehe

i have always had full face ones but i think if i had to buy another id get an open face.

the full face gets the safety first tick as if you hit a wall hard im sure you want to smile afterwards. also i gess in a roll over ect with flying glass ect it will save your face.

ful face is you use a seat belt

open if you use harness's

saw a guy who smashed his face up with and open face on the steering wheel (would not have happend if it was full face and he had harnesses)

when i stuck my car in the wall my head hit the wheel full face all the way if you ask me

Absolutely full face is safer, and some events will not accept open face for that reason. No way would I go open face (I know some rally types like it, easier to see and speak) but there is more than enough field of view for track work with a closed face helmet.

Recently needed a new helmet for a track day, my old one – think cheap Chinese (Bike) helmet wore through and was in pretty average condition after only 4 years and a handful of uses. I initially went out looking for an open face, but was persuaded after trying a few on. Arai has a close face helmet with an extra wide eye port. Best of both worlds I think, closed face, but with great visibility & comfort. Was happy paying more for quality.

I think it all depends on what you use it for, if your only going to do club days and wear a lap/sash belt get a Fullface.

If your looking at doing more full on stuff where your spending longer periods of time in the car, wearing a harness consider an open face.

I feel so much more comfortable in an open face i don't think I could possibly wear a full face again.

Don't buy the cheapest available, there is a reason why they are cheap! Most good helmets start about $6-700, but you may find sales where they can be had for more like $500.

open face/full face - your choice. I'll add my vote for full face helmets because you're wearing them for safety - a full face offers more protection. Just seriously consider this article before purchasing an expensive helmet that meets Snell standards. The results of their impact tests are a real eye-opener.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/...view/index.html

ful face is you use a seat belt

open if you use harness's

saw a guy who smashed his face up with and open face on the steering wheel (would not have happend if it was full face and he had harnesses)

when i stuck my car in the wall my head hit the wheel full face all the way if you ask me

I agree completely as another person who's run into a wall (though luckily didn't head butt the wheel). There is no way i'd wear an open face helmet at a speed event.

A secondary consideration is additional protection from flying glass and debris in an acco, as well as some (but not heaps of) additional protection in a fire.

Forget safety. I would only ever use a full face helmet because of the risk of an accident. ,I have never been injured, thank god, but i have always been thankful for wearing a full face helmet as with a simple drop of the visor nobody can be sure who was driving and after returning to the pits after the accident you can claim it wasnt you driving

Full face all the way.... a great analgy for you...

"A full face helmet is just like a condom".... I'd rather have one on me for safety sake and not need it, than need it and not have it ....

So in short i would rather have the full face, just for the off chance you are in a pickel of a moment

:P

• 3 months later...

Opening and old thread here, I'd go a full face helmet as well, even in a closed top car.

I hit a seagull dead centre in the windscreen at over 200kp/h on the main straight at PI a few years ago, this shattered the windscreen and sprayed glass all over me. If I hadn't had the full face helmet on, I most likely would have had serious eye damage, as well as major facial cuts. The glass hit the visor hard enough to gouge the material, so I would hate to think what it would have done to my skin.