SAU Community

R35 @ Eastern Creek

XKLABA

Just got back from EC where nissan aus where test driving 3 GTR R35 ( white silver and black ), they have the driver that set the lap time at NUR putting the cars through their paces.

not sure if allowed to do this but they didn't stop me from taking photos so here some are ( sorry about there size don't know how to resize)

post-36620-1235213387_thumb.jpg

post-36620-1235213434_thumb.jpg

post-36620-1235213479_thumb.jpg

wow, any word on the lap times?

While i was there they where only playing with cones, corners and stuff no full laps where done at pace,

was not happy i had stopwatch ready and to see how they compared too my high 1.45s and see how far off my 32 is to a new GTR.

the one at power cruise immobilized itself !

It was stuck in park and the steering was locked. Appartently someone played with the steering wheel which put it in security mode?!?!?!

If its anything like the JDM ones, there's some security feature where the car shuts down if a certain button is pressed without the key in that ignition (or that proximity dongle thing in range, I forget).

I had a chat with Carl at a Circuit Club event, and when he let people sit in his R35 he told them specifically not to press something or he'd be stuck there for hours. You can re-mobilise the car, but its a massive rigmarole with a really long instruction sheet.

If its anything like the JDM ones, there's some security feature where the car shuts down if a certain button is pressed without the key in that ignition (or that proximity dongle thing in range, I forget).

I had a chat with Carl at a Circuit Club event, and when he let people sit in his R35 he told them specifically not to press something or he'd be stuck there for hours. You can re-mobilise the car, but its a massive rigmarole with a really long instruction sheet.

my kids are going to have a ball with that feature

A (lucky!) friend of mine was driving at a Nissan media day at EC last week. He had never driven on a track before and managed to hit 252km/h on the straight!

Nissan let each driver have 12 laps each flat out with a passenger.

Well I read in the newspaper that they did have the very same driver that set the nurburg lap times, there at eastern creek...but no mention was made of lap times etc.

Sounds like it was more of a media hype day than performance benchmark...

There were no laptimes because Nissan's policy is to modify the circuit with cones. They do this for a few reasons, to prevent unskilled journos killing themselves full tilt down the main straight and to prevent onlookers taking unskilled journos laptimes as a benchmark for how the car can perform.

They had a mandatory cone chicane and a slalom on the main straight.

There were no laptimes because Nissan's policy is to modify the circuit with cones. They do this for a few reasons, to prevent unskilled journos killing themselves full tilt down the main straight and to prevent onlookers taking unskilled journos laptimes as a benchmark for how the car can perform.

They had a mandatory cone chicane and a slalom on the main straight.

Fair enough too - but I thought I read that the nissan test driver who set the lap times at the nurburgring was there at EC? Surely he could've spent a day out there and given us a lap time? although a day might not be enough, going by how long it generally takes the v8 guys to really nail a circuit.

Suzuki-san was there but it isn't his decision. He's an employee just like everyone else and this policy is handed down by management types ;) .

When they told everyone why the cones were there they handed over to a representative of Nissan Japan who gave the explanation and was very sorry but it's the global policy etc etc.