SAU Community

r33 gtst vs wrx

Had a few runs with a twin turbo supra last night. Quick cars but not too quick for a gtst. my car is stock boost with zaust and filter and cooler and kept close behind all the way. with a bit of boost and a good launch u can take one or stay even with him. As for rexes some are damn quick! Anyone know how much boost they run stock? Is it like 15 psi?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the comments in this post have actually made me dumber....

I've driven both a lot of both and nearly owned both. WRX was a forced second choice. I've been passnger in low 12 second versions of both and removing all BULLS%$T and bias aside, WRX are definitely quicker when comparing mod for mod.

I had boost problems (only running 10psi) and i had alot of runs with a couple of mates 33's. Most of the time i pulled away. Now im running stock boost (about 15psi) i find i can pull away easily...

Thats with all cars having the same mods (similiar pods, zorst etc). They are better manual drivers than me....

Although i have noticed that things seem cheaper with their cars.

Both cars have some great points about them, but then again, both cars have some negative points.

Both cars are awesome, but its like comparing apples to oranges.

If the WRX driver doesn't get a PROPER 4WD launch on a skyline GTST, then I think that the GTST will start to pull away.

But if the WRX driver was willing to risk gearbox damage and launched the thing like it is capable of doing, skyline GTST's don't stand a chance.

they are 2 very different cars.

but stock for stock and identical mods for both in terms of a pod filter and 3 inch exhaust, the wrx will always win if launched properly..

but you will find that 99% of the time, the REX owner is not willing to risk a couple of thousand dollar Gearbox rebuild to prove a point on the street.

Another thing... stock for stock, I'd like to see these cars enter some corners and we'll and we'll see how far ahead the WRX gets.

A few of you have got it close to right but its not the fact of risking the box and drivetrain, its more of whether they actually know how to launch a 4wd fulls top. Launching one properly is an artform not many master and is the difference between real quick and real slow 1/4 times. Not as much so with GTR's because they have more torque and overall grunt to backup slight mistakes on takeoff. But as far as the usual modded rexy as people say with zorst filter etc. the rex will win if driven by people who can drive both. But either way being in a skyline and beating a rexy doesn't mean you won well cos don't forget rexies are 2ltr ;) So overall rexies are a better performing car. But thats basically for a street race, if it were to keep going rexies are known to run out of puff once above 120-130 they start to level off, whereas the 6 in a skyline will just start to open up and is the reason why skylines decide to get up and run away once into 3. But weigh it up properly don't just bag rexies. Remember 2ltr four vs. 2.5ltr 6... :(

well i had a run with a wrx my00 the other week

it had a full 3' zaust and pod (not aware of anything else)

the wrx got the jump on me then i just started pulling it back and eventually passed it at 80km/hr

this guys look on his face was a classic

I dont think the gearbox is an issue, if you want to launch a GTST properly you need to give it 3500-4000 revs to get going.

The fact is these smaller, lighter cars like the 200sx's and wrx's are quicker accelerators than the heavier skylines. And to be perfectly honest I don't think there is much difference over 120-130km/hr between a rex/200sx and a gtst as far as acceleration goes.. I've raced GTST's all the way up to the rev limiter on many ocassions and i've pulled away from him the whole time.*

I guess the reason we went to the rev limiter was the skyline also felt he had to prove this theory. :)

Of course had it been a GTR.. heh.. wooo! i would have been toast.

*on closed private roads.

pentae, i got nailed by a sil80 one day..... Well and truly. There are some nice, quick silvia's around.

All of the skylines i've raced (with same mods etc) have all lost. I've been toasted by more modded ones.

Sorry to single you out, but PAYDRO, your post makes you sound like a bit of a wanker, that has never been beaten, because you have the fastest car etc.

I like to think im completely unbiased (because i love both and had to settle for a rex etc), but if were racing over longer distances, remember you guys run out of puff at 180 (speed cut unless you have a fairly "heavily" modded car). I dont.... :)

Both cars have very good points, but again both cars have some bad ones.

Respecting both is the answer....

Originally posted by docile

Both cars have very good points, but again both cars have some bad ones.  

Respecting both is the answer....

Very well said, Docile. I went from a stock-ish 32 GTST to a bog stock MY02 WRX. The Rex seems punchier around town (not just the AWD launch thing - seems more to do with the gearing and it boosts earlier than the GTSt did). Once you get to highway speeds, the Rex feels like it runs out of breath, and I'd say the Skyline would have walked away fdrom it. I've not lined up a Skyline in the Rex, just like I never lined up a Rex when I had the Skyline. I'm not into street racing or drag racing.

How do they handle corners? Well, I thought my Skyline was hot sh!t when I owned it...until I got the Rex. There's no comparison there. The Rex is much sweeter, more direct and easier to drive fast through twisty roads. This was proven at a track day where I was around a second quicker than a modified R33 GTSt around Morgan Park.

The modified MY02 with 330kW and full Tein adjustable coilovers was around a second quicker again.

I won't mention the modified GTR's laptimes though

after my race wih the rext the next day i took his car for a drive. your definatly not rong about leveling out at 120-140km/h. in the rex i notice there second gear is much longer then the R33's. i was 2 car lengths infront of my skyline and then he just got an awsome up and go in third and just took off past me.

the rex was very nice to drive. and he said the skyline was like drivng a greeced bullet on heat.lol

i then took my keys back. skyline anyday for style/performance/prestige. :P

Im with Docile... some people just talk shit.

I sold my R33 for a rex. My R33 was fairly modded(FMIC, FPC, Fuel pump, injectors, Apexi intake, HKS exhaust, etc)....

and the verdict from me - the rex pisses all over it.

But thats my OPINION. What shits me is neive people commenting on cars they havent even driven. And for people to say "Oh great ill beat it then"... , not always true cause 90% of people cant drive for shit. Just cause a car has more hp doesnt mean its faster.

Like docile said both cars have good and bad points - its up to the individual to decide whats best for THEM.

Dan

Originally posted by IMACUL8

What shits me is neive people commenting on cars they havent even driven.  And for people to say "Oh great ill beat it then"... , not always true cause 90% of people cant drive for shit.  Just cause a car has more hp doesnt mean its faster.

Like docile said both cars have good and bad points - its up to the individual to decide whats best for THEM.

Dan

Cant agree more... Each to there own!

I have also owned both cars and currently own a MY98 WRX. Out of all honesty i would prefer to own another R33, From my experience it was smoother and more fun (RWD). The WRX is dynamite if launched properly but i only ever launch it hard once every month as i do not want to risk damage to the box!

I am just curious when you say you beat it as to how you determine this?

Is it the car that reaches the speed limit first and slows down? or the idiot that flies past well exceding the speed limit that 'WINS'?

In my own experience I have heard a lot of bullshit stories on how someone has smashed another car when the other car wasn't dragging them!

They are different cars and it all depends on what you are trying to beat them in!

My mate owns as tx5 turbo(3in zorst, pod, boost controller @12psi) and he says that he used to kick r33 skylines until I bought mine, left him smoking his front wheel at the line:D

The only way to do a good comparsion is to line a wrx and a skyline up and say first to the light post 400m down the street!

My other mate owns a vl 3ltr with 2.5 inch zorst and because it sounds loud he thinks it gos fast, and claims to have beaten all most every car on the road(slightly bulls$*t) but you know what I mean.

Talk is cheap and most drag races are not real races any way!

My 2 cents and only my opinion

ps I love rexs:D

The launch of a WRX requires some knowalegde of where the power is...

If the person doesn't know this then the launch of the WRX won't be good, and will be quite slack.

A good launch in a WRX should snap your head back and keep it there till your hitting to 100Klm mark.

Top speed for a stanard WRX is

205 1/4klm for auto.

230 for manual.

Once they get to 195klm though they are basicly hard pressed to go much faster.

Originally posted by Grey skys

The only way to do a good comparsion is to line a wrx and a skyline up and say first to the light post 400m down the street!

That i can say i've done on the odd occasion with a few mates.

The ones that are heavily modified always nail me, however you cant compare a car with a heap of bolt on's and big turbo to a car thats stockish.

The skylines that have similiar mods, tend to get beaten fairly easily. Saying that, Skylines seem to have better top end.

The only guys who can honestly comment are the guys who have owned or driven A LOT of both.

---2FARDOWN---

WRX's are awesome cars. Everyone (well almost :P) seems to baby the WRX's when it comes to launching. We all know that WRX gearboxes and drivelines have problems. There fairly quick stock and fun cars to drive.

Skylines are equally as awesome, just in different ways. They can be made to look awesome (both cars definitely need improvements in looks when they come out of the factory) and my mates thrash theirs. If i treated my car like they do, it would be all over..... They are also pretty quick for a stocky and again a fun car to drive.

I could fill 10 pages about good and bad points for both cars.

Just have a drive of a couple of rex's and then decide. Its a tough world when your made to choose between two awesome cars :D

Originally posted by Grey skys

Bzzzt! *Wrong*

The only way to tell is to take it to a drag strip and do some proper timed runs. Or, if that doesn't float your boat, go to a racetrack and see what lap times you can do. That's where the bull$hit stops!!

Street racing is bad, m'kay??

Originally posted by warps

Bzzzt! *Wrong*

The only way to tell is to take it to a drag strip and do some proper timed runs. Or, if that doesn't float your boat, go to a racetrack and see what lap times you can do. That's where the bull$hit stops!!

Street racing is bad, m'kay??

That wasn't what I was trying to say mate. Obviously the strip or the track is the best way to test the 2 cars performance, what I was trying to say is how do you know the guy/girl next to you is really going hard or just playing.:D