SAU Community

New Cooler Fitted, More Knock??

DJ_L3ThAL

ok i had a huge massive truck cooler on my car when i had my powerfc tuned and just recently i sold it and put the stock coioler back on

with the truck cooler the knock readings on the PFC were normal, with the stock cooler they were a little higher (what i expected)

but NOW with my new genuine trust front mount kit (600x276x76) its giving me really high knock readings, but the car is going a fair bit harder and WAY better response than ever, why would this be ? do i just need a retune ? anything i can do in the meantime?

cheers

Guest RedLineGTR

Sorry man dont mean to be a prick but this is a serious thread. Thanks for the bump and all but hes not selling any cooler(s) he has a problem that is stated at the top which he needs advice for.

Hey noof can i buy your ...oops nevermind! Seriously, you need a bigger turbo, injectors, and fuel pump. This with a dyno tune will fix your problems. The trust cooler will be cooling the inlet charge better. therefore allowing you to cram more air in the cylinders resulting in a leaner mix this is reflected in your power gain and in your higher knock readings just give the boys at your tuning shops a call and give them your readings from the powerfc and they will advise you if a re-tune is in order. And i must ask... have you been on holiday because you seem to have a great tan!

haha yes, i slept too long in the tanning studio :rofl: and became a movie star!

yer it sounds about right, i was going to slap it on the dyno anyways just to make sure but yer looks like some tuning will be required, just annoying i can't go out and fang it because its going nice n hard

also i was wondering, the trust kit came with some vaccum hose that it said to tpiece into the pressure regulator vaccum line over to the boost controller vaccum line, what would this be for ? i didnt do it because it seemed silly but i thought perhaps it creates a more even and accurate vaccum/boost reading across the baord in the engine perhaps ??

That sounds like it makes sense, perhaps providing faster fuel reg. response. Trust trust power, they know their sh1t. Do it and take it for a run. PS i am running a modded manual computer in my auto R33 with 0.9 boost and loving it! no dyno for me!!

i have an apexi boost gauge, its doing about 0.55-0.6bar boost, i have my Electronic boost turned off because when i went back to stock cooler i didnt want to risk pinging etc, and havent turned it back on because its pinging now more than ever with only damned stock boost

Danny: awesome, when did ya get that done ? chuck it on a dyno and see how much power she's got now :) oh and i heard those exhaust quietining thingos are bad for the cat converters, they can burn out, just in case u didnt already know dat (but you prolly did :rofl:)

Originally posted by AutoTrust

The trust cooler will be cooling the inlet charge better. therefore allowing you to cram more air in the cylinders resulting in a leaner mix this is reflected in your power gain and in your higher knock readings just give the boys at your tuning shops a call and give them your readings from the powerfc and they will advise you if a re-tune is in order.

This sounds pretty accurate :uh-huh:.

But if you are using alot more fuel, than i am, it goes to reason that your car is running richier than mine (we are both making approx. same power) so you shouldn't be running lean. Might be worth getting a retune with air/fuel ratio readings as well as power, just to see what's going on.

The computer has intermittent problems with stalling thats why J-SPEC gave it to me to play with, its firmly mounted under the floor mat so i can throw stuff at it at traffic lights when it starts running on less than 6 cylinders!!! thanks for the heads up on the apexi ECV hurting the cat i'll up it's intake of whiskas to keep it healthy! Have you mounted your Power FC?