SAU Community

Turbo Timers

nerm

I was told yesterday that turbo timers are now illegal. i have looked on the ATA and DOTARS but cannot find any reference to it

does anyone know if this is true?

I cant see why turbo timers would be illegal... There are plenty of turbo diesel 4wd's around with timers installed and alot of larger (medium rigid for example) trucks come out with them as an option from the factory.

I am keen to know (if they are illegal) what facts the legislation is based on.

I always thought that it was illegal to leave a car running and go more than "x" metres away.

I also thought that turbo timers had to be hooked up to the handbrake so if you pull it up the timer switches off.

Yeah, I had heard much the same - the timer itself isn't illegal, but walking away and leaving your car running certainly is. In Qld it's defined as 3 metres, not sure about ACT as we tend to just blindly follow whatever the RTA does.

And I have heard of insurance companies denying claims when the vehicle had one fitted, so it pays to make sure they know you have one.

Hay

I went over the pits only about 2 weeks ago they have to be connected to the handbrake and as for walking away from the car while its on thats fine according to old mate i was speaking at the pits

cheers

Yeh, the handbrake rule is old and always been there, never heard of the leaving the vehicle ruel, but not say it doesnt exist. The shite thing is, it seems every time there is a rumor started, RTA seem to catch hoold of it and implement it. :P or so it seems. eg, I heard a while before coilovers became required to be engineered that they were required to be engineered. A few months later, they implemented it. lol (im sure it started when the discussions started).

Yeah, I had heard much the same - the timer itself isn't illegal, but walking away and leaving your car running certainly is.

yeah I'd heard this too...

Turbo timer was legal in 2002, at the time... I got defected for having a turbo timer by Dis###nt Tyres Fyshwick, during defect clearance inspection on my 180sx, and then I double checked with RTA that it was NOT illegal and they were just picking on me.

But then again, it may have changed since.