SAU Community

Hi all Im looking at importing my first car however its modified a bit like coil over suspension recaro seats exhaust.

anyway I asked a raw workshop if it was possible for me to take delivery of the car before it goes to them for compliancing

my question is this correct as some other bloke said no i cant and that I risk the vehicle being confiscated at customs

Now I dont know whats the go here I just want to import my self then send down to compliance once i chnage over the performance parts

I have searched but have not found satisfactory answer.

regards

Muz

as I understand it. car have EVERYTHING orgainsed before it leaves the docks. so dereg papers,import approval, customs clearance,RAW and from there away you go. who (RAW) have you asked and is this going through a broker?

that said I have seen cars go to private houses first and then dropped at a RAW. the first method I understand to be correct.

Hi Muz :D

I'm not sure which workshop you spoke to, but in the end, the car is your property. If someone is from a workshop reading this feel free to clarify - while the workshops have it as a requirement that the car goes directly to their workshop from the docks, but there's little they can do to stop a customer who insists on taking possession of it themselves from the docks.

" quote Go and ask some people in customs what they think about people importing highly modified cars.....that won't pass Australian ADR's. Customs have the power to stop the import in its tracks. They know the compliance rules as well as anybody else they have the power to stop any importation coming into this country that they feel is illegal or does not comply with importation rules as set out at DOTARS.

end quote"

the above was said to me by someone on another forum. all I wanna know is whats the go do you guys import 100% stock cars then modify here ? It doenst seem to be the case its just this bloke who i just quoted scared the shit out of me....

It's all a bit silly really, The vehicle cannot be licensed until it passes compliance so it's in the owners best interest to remove all items considered non roadworthy.

Hey Muz.

Used to have a Soarer back in the day and have seen u on the soarer forums. You still got that green Soarer?

To comply the car you would need to return the vehicle back to stock. A member here imported a 94 GTR Vspec and it came with non std wheels and non Brembo brakes. The compliance place had to locate a set of the std BBS wheels and brembo brakes, he had to pay a premium to get the compliance place to do the work. But in the end he got it done. He wrote a thread up in this section. His forum name is Hanyou If you only have to swap over to stock suspension and exhaust and seats, the labour costs wouldnt be too much. Just ring a few compliance places and get some quotes.

what car u lookin to bring in?

• 1 month later...