SAU Community

Best Tires For Drifting That Dont Delaminate In Chunks!

Hey guys,

Took my 33 to sandown on the weekend for the drift day on brand new Bridgestone Potenza RE050A- 245/45/18.

These tires are grippy as! But are the worst when it comes to form in which they wear out. Rather than smoothly wearing out they were simply just losing big chunks & strings of rubber. To the extent now where the tires still have 80% tread left but are now losing air because some chunks that have come off are obviously a little too deep...

For my next set, i want a tire that last much longer through punishment and wears out smoothly without strings and chunks coming off. I also dont care about how grippy they are. As long as they wear out the right way.

Ive heard Falkens are suitable for what im after??

anything besides a bridgestone, i found anything from them is gonna fall to bits, i found the same with the 18inch feddy's, 17 inch feddy's hold up awesome, i've just changed to Kuhmo tyres, they hold together all the way to the belts with minimal grip change

Awesome... i was amazed by just how bad the bridgestones reacted to this stuff... just horrifying.

Im guessing id also be looking to go for hard compound tires over soft compound?? Hard compound wear out slower right? and have less grip..

Hey guys,

Took my 33 to sandown on the weekend for the drift day on brand new Bridgestone Potenza RE050A- 245/45/18.

These tires are grippy as! But are the worst when it comes to form in which they wear out. Rather than smoothly wearing out they were simply just losing big chunks & strings of rubber. To the extent now where the tires still have 80% tread left but are now losing air because some chunks that have come off are obviously a little too deep...

For my next set, i want a tire that last much longer through punishment and wears out smoothly without strings and chunks coming off. I also dont care about how grippy they are. As long as they wear out the right way.

Ive heard Falkens are suitable for what im after??

haha could have asked anyone whos drifted for a bit and they will tell u potenzas are shocking for delam, owell expensive lesson.

what price range are u looking at?

If you don't have tyre marks on your rear quarters, then you're not trying hard enough. :D

On a more serious note... I've found grippy tyres better for drifting (provided you have enough power to spin them in the first place) as you can correct and control far easier... so I wouldn't just get some hard compound tyre.

As for tyre wear, I've found Falken Azenis to be the best personally... they don't break up in chunks, are still grippy when hot etc... but they do wear out pretty quick compared to the falken fk-451 or fk-452. Yokohama AVS (think they're E100's or something) are pretty good too, they have reinforced sidewalls (so no sidewall bubbling from repeat runs) and stand up to heat better than most others. Altho it does break up in chunks.

Most of the competition cars the workshop prepared used Toyo Proxes T1S'. I don't really rate them too well cos they wear out too quick. But when you've got a limitless sponsor supply of tyres as the drivers of the cars do, I suppose that doesn't matter.

So in summary, i'd go:

Flaken FK 451's over Falken Azenis over Yokohama AVS. Splash out on T1-S if you have money to burn.

I'm about to try out a Kumho KU17 and KU31 combo soon hopefully, so we'll see how we go with that, never tried Kumho's before.

Really appreciate your input guys.

Well my car is a street car that i also take on the track, has plenty of power to spin grippy tires but I have a mortgage and cant exactly afford to change tires too frequently so i am after the following sought of tire:

-Something that doesnt come appart in chunks!

-Something that lasts LONG

-The amount of grip does not concern me, just want it to last long.

-And most importantly, something CHEAP!

If you guys can give me the answer to the tire that offers the above id MUCH appreciate it!

Potenza's delam bad. Best I've ever used were Falkens. They were amazing at winton, I couldn't kill em. can't remember the model but I just buy them second hand as they come...

Some I have used recently

595 Federals: Feather up pretty bad but doesn't really matter on the rear. Also cheap. Some people choose to run them backwards.

Hankook Ventus 104s: Secondhand and no delam problems. Average grip levels. Lasted well.

Assorted Toyos: Turned to butter once really hot and became very slippery. Lasted quite well but did start to delam once really hot.

Any Bridgestone: As everyone has said delam. Apparently if you run them through certain heat cycles they wont but why bother.

Intensa: delam, last 2 laps on low powered car, average grip

Edited by gunmetalgrey

Really appreciate your input guys.

Well my car is a street car that i also take on the track, has plenty of power to spin grippy tires but I have a mortgage and cant exactly afford to change tires too frequently so i am after the following sought of tire:

-Something that doesnt come appart in chunks!

-Something that lasts LONG

-The amount of grip does not concern me, just want it to last long.

-And most importantly, something CHEAP!

If you guys can give me the answer to the tire that offers the above id MUCH appreciate it!

http://hardtuned.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=334752

i just tried admirals and they lasted pretty well, took some serious arse drags as well, and no signs of delam. pressure also has a lot to do with it, make sure u dont run too much.

ive always found that if ur gonna go 2nd hand, go dunlops, dunno why but all 2nd hand dunlops ive used seem to last and last without delaming.

If you really, really, don't care about grip, get a cheap set of rims and put some cheap second hand tires on them, and only put them on when you go to the track. For added bonus also go with the above trick of soaking to make them harder.

Edited by sneakey pete

i had falken fk452s on the 32. lasted me ages but the car didn't really spin the wheels much... not really enough power in a stock gtst to get the tires spinning much.

i did however have some crappy nexens on the back end when i first bought the car. lasted forever... till i picked up a nail in one... not the best grip, but they'll do the right thing imo if you're just going sliding