SAU Community

S14 Vs S15

Can anyone out there tell me the difference between the sr20dets in the s14's and s15's, and the differences between the two turbos ?. If i was to replace my s14 turbo with a s15 turbo, what kind of power increase could i exspect ?

Thanks

MATT

there has been alot of discussion on this S15 turbo lately.

Everyone thought that they were ball bearing turbo's on the S15, but recently there have been a few revelations.

a whole heap of people that have taken the turbo off there S15 have sent it to be checked and/or rebuilt and have been told that they were NOT ball bearing turbo's.

And actually have the same part number as the Turbo's from the SERIES 1 S14's.

apparently there are 2 different S15 turbo's and the other variant IS ball bearing.

Also, I believe that the S15 has some form of Variable timing control where as the S14's don't.

AND, the S15 runs 480cc injectors. The S14's have some lower capacity ones.

So to answer your question of will and S15 turbo make your S15 better?? MAYBE!..

But I don't think it would be THAT much of a difference..

If I were in your situation, I would save some money and do 1 of 2 things...

1.)Have your turbo rebuilt and Hi-flowed.

2.)Buy a new 450HP turbo from www.horsepowerinabox.com for like $2000..

Originally posted by Kiwimatt

Can anyone out there tell me the difference between the sr20dets in the s14's and s15's, and the differences between the two turbos ?.  If i was to replace my s14 turbo with a s15 turbo, what kind of power increase could i exspect ?

it really depends on which s14 you have. If it is a very late model then the turbo is the same as s15 turbos, both have vct etc..

I know the S15 has a T28 BB turbo and is capable of 200rwkw MAX i think

A recent dyno run of a modded S15 with stock turbo netted him 227kw's. Yes i know its only a number but they are very good turbos.

May i suggest www.silviansw.com or www.nissansilvia.com for further tech advice:)

Only the Jap spec S15 got a BB turbo, much to everyones disbelief, Aussies always get ripped off..... apparently the way of telling is that there is 6 dump pipe bolts on the Jap spec turbo, only 5 in the Aus spec turbo. if you find the BB turbo expect to gain about 20% power increase i guess.....

As for why the S15 goes better, they are tuned more on edge hence giving them the advantage over the S14.

Engines appear to be identical, all S14's got the VCT from memory, but mainly the internals you will find are different. Many people think you can strip down any SR20 and swap parts without hassles...... hate to tell you it doesnt work :P:(

Thanks for all the help guys, sounds like a aftermarket turbo will be the way to go, just thought a s15 turbo could be a good way to get a cheap moderate power increase. I did some research on the net about the s14 and 15 engines, seems like even nz gets the extras on the s15, how come aust is always left out.

Thanks

MATT