SAU Community

17x10 With 255's Good Option For R32 Gtr?

Now just before I make this impulse buy, it's probably best to check...

18x8 and 18x9 with Nexen tyres on there at the moment, 235 and 265. Not my kind of tyre/wheel sizes, so they are getting the arse. (Anyone want em?) Was looking for 17x9's, and suddenly these Lenso D1R 17x10 +15 start looking like the go, with 255's.

So, is this a desireable combination for a car that is about to get Bilsteins + full whiteline kit for road driving? Is 17x10 even a good idea, do 255's suit em well, and so on...

slip.

Not suppose to run different size wheels on a GTR, attesa will be sad...

17X10 may be a bit to large, 17X9 is perfect and allows you to use the much more common 235 45 r17's

I've got access to sets of 17x9 and 9.5, so my options are wide open.

Tyre sizing would be my main concern, then using the best wheel to complement them. Curious about running 255/265 all round over 235's - they just seem too small. There's plenty around in 255/265 anyway.

yep, either the 9s, 9.5 or 10s will be fine with a 255. I'd go the 9.5s with the 255s. the 10s will be ok, but with +15 offset and a 255 they may come close to the guard lip depending on ride height and geometry (camber, castor etc). you would be able to get away with just a lip of the guards though to cure it. it certainly wouldn't need flaring.

yep, either the 9s, 9.5 or 10s will be fine with a 255. I'd go the 9.5s with the 255s. the 10s will be ok, but with +15 offset and a 255 they may come close to the guard lip depending on ride height and geometry (camber, castor etc). you would be able to get away with just a lip of the guards though to cure it. it certainly wouldn't need flaring.

Thanks mate, I thought you'd be replying, but we haven't addressed the real issue.

I know 255's will fit on 9-10" wheels, and there may be clearance issues in the big offsets/widths.

What I don't know is a well known optimal sort of setup. All the threads I found discuss fitment/clearance, what tyre can stretch or bulge onto what width wheel - but nothing on the optimal sizes for handling and grip. Balls!

255 on 9

255 on 9.5

265 on 10

And then to try and find a 17x9.5 that isn't a f*cking Drift Tek or $5000 Work/Enkei etc...

well handling wise and grip wise the 9.5 or the 10 is the way to go with the 255.

255s particularly in semi comps CAN be a bit big on a 9. in some road tyres they are perfect, in others the tyre is a little too wide for optimum 'feel'. generally when you get the right size tyre on the rim you get less sidewall movement and better steering feel and better grip. sadly not every brand of tyre have exactly the same tyres. a 235 yoko a048 for example is the same width as a 255 dunlop sp sport maxx road tyre. go the 9.5s or the 10s which ever you can get on a 32 GTR 255/17s are a great size. and they fit best on a 9.5 or 10.

I am not sure I quite agree with worrying too much about what the tyre looks like on the rim when it is static.

Here is a photo of my car & me generally showing ineptitude in trying to drive it. A too quick corner entry causes understeer which is less than inspiring but may, perhaps, be illuminating. Check the sidewall of the tyre.

It is a 255 on a 9". Fit is perfect imho. But with a 22 offset & any lowering of the suspension it will scrape the rear guards unless you get them rolled. Oh there is three and a half degrees negative camber on the thing too.... :banana:

post-5134-1236918897_thumb.jpg

djr - is that a tyre pressure issue, or tyre being a bit wide for the rim? Wouldn't have expected that to happen with 3.5deg.

Beer Baron - thanks mate.

Do things get a bit awkward if we try and put 265's on (with the 10's) as far as steering goes? Spose it shouldn't, they are only the next size up. Probably horribly priced though...

djr - is that a tyre pressure issue, or tyre being a bit wide for the rim? Wouldn't have expected that to happen with 3.5deg.

Nope, that is just the life of a tyre on a car on a track.

Do things get a bit awkward if we try and put 265's on (with the 10's) as far as steering goes? Spose it shouldn't, they are only the next size up. Probably horribly priced though...

Usually the clearance problem is at the back.

I would hate to have seen a picture of the old 205/16 S03 on the track. Poor thing.

Clearance doesn't really bother me, when I say steering I mean quality/feel/handling etc. It's bloody heavy as it is, something doesn't seem right...

I would hate to have seen a picture of the old 205/16 S03 on the track. Poor thing.

Clearance doesn't really bother me, when I say steering I mean quality/feel/handling etc. It's bloody heavy as it is, something doesn't seem right...

Go 245's and add a bit of castor and it will improve heaps. I had 255's and went down to 245's and the handling improved.

Track tyres I use 225's.

• 1 year later...

Without creating a new thread, has anybody had any PERSONAL experience with running 17x10 +18 with 255/45's all round on a 32 GTR?

If so, did you have any clearance issues at the front on full lock with guard liners? Suspension arms?

Guard rolling needed? Also what profile are you running?

Looking at running 17x10 +18 with a 255/45 and what to know what problems there are. Some pics would be awsome!

Discuss!

Thanks mate, I thought you'd be replying, but we haven't addressed the real issue.

I know 255's will fit on 9-10" wheels, and there may be clearance issues in the big offsets/widths.

What I don't know is a well known optimal sort of setup. All the threads I found discuss fitment/clearance, what tyre can stretch or bulge onto what width wheel - but nothing on the optimal sizes for handling and grip. Balls!

255 on 9

255 on 9.5

265 on 10

And then to try and find a 17x9.5 that isn't a f*cking Drift Tek or $5000 Work/Enkei etc...

I could bet you that I could find you a set of work emotion cr kai, xt7, xd9 in 18's cheaper than what you'll pay for those D1Rs.

• 5 months later...

I've seen alot of people tend to go with 17x9 +22 or thereabouts with a 255/40. I would've thought a 9.5 or 10" wide rim would be better suited to that tyre to reduce sidewall flex etc. Is there a reason more people go with the 9" wide rim over the 9.5/10? I'm leaning towards 17x10 255/40 on a R32 GTR but want to be adamant its going to fit. Prefer the wider rim if possible. Plan to run little camber on rear, my biggest worry is up front though. The car will not be slammed, somewhere around 350/355 centre of wheel to top of guard. Maybe the 9.5 255/40 maybe ideal?

I've gone with a smaller width previously and had to sell them off for wider ones. Don't want to make that mistake again!

• 6 months later...

im running 18x9.5 with 265 tyres front and rear. with nismo s-tune coilovers which doesnt lower your car EXTREMLY low but still low enough, i dont get scrubbing unless i have 4 people in the car (which is super super rare) and going around a corner with a bump

i think 9" wide with 245/255 would be nice