SAU Community

Problems With Nismo Slave Clyinder...

Hi all,

I got my Nismo Super Copper Twin Plate Clutch fitted up to my R34 GT-R and that went in fine, but when he installed my Nismo slave clyinder and tried to bleed the system problems arrived. Its a bit hard for me to exlain because I didnt fully understand everything he said but basically he said there is no fluid motion to disengage the clutch even after bleeding the system. So they tried to bleed the system again and still nothing. I think he said that they also pressure tested the clutch line system (or something like that) and still found no leaks. The Nismo slave was then 'bench' tested and that went fine until it was put back in the car and you guessed it... the same drama.

I also got my clutch master slave cylinder ourhauled with (new a seal also) and still no fluid motion. He also tried putting the original Nissan slave cylinder and still the same problem!!!

Has anyone ever had this problem when they installed a Nismo slave cylinder??? Is there something that they are missing here???

Thank you for any info/help you guys can give me.

Edited by xanavinismo

Did they change the Release Sleeve Bearing to the one supplied?

Cheers

Johno

Yep they replaced it. I forgot to mention also that they said that when they pushed on the clutch pedal, they could only get about 1 inch of clutch fork movement... which I take is not enough for proper disengagement of the clutch...

It is also noted on the Nismo website that the Nismo slave is not to be used with the Nismo clutches... but I have read so many people using these two together so this wouldnt have something to do with the problem would it???

Edited by xanavinismo

well it sounds to me like they need to adjust the clutch throw. this can be done inside the car. there is a rod with a lock nut and an adjuster nut to adjust the length of the clutch rod. the other problem could be clutch pedal bracket flex which is very common in 32s but being a 34 it's less likely. the other other option is they've fked the install somehow which also seems possible.

the other other option is they've fked the install somehow which also seems possible.

Would problems with the clutch fork, release bearing, or even the small spring cause these kind of symtoms?

Sounds like a hydraulic issue to me i.e. they haven't bled the system properly.

GTR's are notoriously difficult to bleed but I would have thought that a workshop would be well equipped to deal with that.

I installed a Nismo slave in my R33 GTR and it took me about 3 weeks to get my car on the road. Same problem as what you're experiencing. Not enough movement from the slave to move the clutch fork enough for disengagement.

Any air pockets in the hydraulic lines will cause this. There are 2 bleeding points on my GTR - the 'dampener box' and the slave cylinder itself. The dampener box should be done first followed by the slave.

I actually turned the car to ignition position to activate the vacuum assist that GTR's are equipped and then pumped the clutch pedal about 20 times with all bleed nipples closed and Clutch Master cylinder resevoir lid off - be sure to top up the Master cyliner resevoir before you start. A 2nd person must watch the Master cylinder resevoir and be ready to add fluid though to ensure that the level doesn't fall below minimum. For me, this worked a charm because even though I thought I had bled the system correctly, somehow there was still air trapped in the clutch lines. My reservoir level dropped to just below level from a top up above max line doing this.

Once the level is stable (no more fall), the bleeding process can commence but again this should be done carefully and the bleed hose should always be a tight fit over the bleed nipples and should be submerged in a jar of fluid. Start at dampener box first.

I picked up these tips from a few SAU members. I had full slave movement after that from the Nismo unit and therefore smooth disengagement.

Good luck.

Edited by Big Zil