SAU Community

V6 In A R31 Skyline

Sitting around one day talking with my girls dad about motors that are easy to work on and cheap we came up with holden V6. I also always wanted to do up a ozzy R31 skyline as i had some out there ideas for one. so we decided we would get one and put a V6 in it. This is what we have done so far.

Note: Not looking to make it the fastest or best r31 out there just a fun n/a street car

1. Got a R31 from the wreckers and gutted it out

1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

2. Had a old fu*ked V6 in the shed so we gave it a test fit. It sat in realy good lower and back more then a rb30 would.

4-1.jpg

3. Picked up a vp commodore realy cheap with a good working V6

7.jpg

4. Next it was time to start painting went with the red off a vt commodore. Engine and doors frist.

6.jpg

8.jpg

12032009269.jpg

12032009268.jpg

5. Made up engine mounts crossmenber and Tailshaft

12032009264.jpg

05092008005.jpg

12032009261.jpg

12032009273.jpg

Sorry the pics arn't to clear using my phone to take them.

This is were I'm getting some of my ideas from:

10.jpg

11-1.jpg

12-1.jpg

Let me know what you think will update soon.

im just trying to figure out why you'd go through all that trouble for a VP V6 engine? I dont even really see that engine as an upgrade at all over the RB30e.

I say either work the **** out of that rb30 or drop a 5ltr in it :blink:

I could see the point in an LS1 conversion - 5 litre = lots of work for comparitively small gains, they're not really worth bothering with anymore, unless you already happen to own one.

Holden V6 though - vomit, rough, shite sounding motor, though turbo conversions are apparently widespread these days, why oh why not stick with the RB30 and turbo it?!!?? or buy a VN!?

I went in the other day and got a quote to recondition the V6 ( new rings, bearingd, decked, crank ground and linished so on ) ARP head stud kit, port and polish the heads, stage 4 crow cam kit, timing kit, gasket kit, was some other little things to but i forgot what. For me to take just the engine into him the quote was just under $3000

Also I went with the VP V6 as it has less crap on it then a ecotec V6 and vp commodores look like crap thats why i would not just get one of them.

• 7 years later...

No question the RB 30 sounds sweeter - we have one of each and I've only heard one VT V6 that sounds good.

Bloke up in Strathpine QLD.  HE put a lot of work into it. I keep mine quiet.

Don't laugh though, that V6 has WAY more torque than mildly modded RB30s no real increase in weight, more than a VL turbo up to about 5k.  Torque is what turns the axles :) 

Set the V6 donk back for better handling than an RB30 can give you - as the OP said.

A cheap, stock drop in.  Keep it quiet and you have a low cost sleeper.

Saw a complete (running) car at action go for a tad over $200.  

Part it and the engine pays for ALL the other mods.

Turbo it and it HAMMERS in that light body. 

I wonder if it can be stuffed into a 1200 ute?

Pics .. https://photohounds.smugmug.com/Cars

• 1 year later...

i know this is a really old post... but im interested in finding out more about this conversion, mainly because my RB30 isnt the healthiest and im looking at cheap options until i can put what i want in the car, what was involved in it, obviously mounts crossmember and tailshaft, would the rb30s gearboxes (auto or manual, i have both)  hold up or even fit to this engine? any info would be appreciated and i thank you kindly in advance, peace out and stay gold mate :) 
- Coopz