SAU Community

BOVs: Cool or Not Cool?

pentae

I've been driving a few GTR's in my test driving experience, and have been driving a turbo car for a few years now..

And what's the deal with BOV's?

It seems like every guy out there with something to prove has one. The only instance I agree with a BOV is if you drive a very unsual turbo car like a mazda familia or something similar, where the BOV tells people 'Hey I have turbo on this peice of crap'.

Every skyline I have driven fitted with a BOV has been lame.

Every silvia that drives past me with a BOV has been lame, and I have promptly eaten them with my bovless car.

I think it's a gimick that was only cool back when imports where an unusual site on the road, and the bov noise has absolutely no mechanical merit whatsoever.

Your thoughts?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personaaly, i think there's no need for BOV's. The money can be spend elsewhere on performance. But it all depends on what you you're going for with you're car....

Same could be said about a sound system, but BOV's are just not my taste. :)

Well, I think there needs to be clarification here.

Most turbo cars already have a factory BOV.

e.g. My WRX and my R33 GTST.

I think you are refering to after market BOV's that vent to atmosphere instead of being redirected in to the system.

And for the record, I do agree that those BOV's that vent to atmosphere are pretty much "wank bits".

Poll: Should people be able to post lame polls?

All your 'test driving experience' and you dont know what a BOV does?

I think perhaps you should find out what a bov does, and the fact that it is necessary, and the fact that factory ones fail, and the fact that an adjustable aftermarket one is necessary when you run BIG boost, and the fact that a good aftermarket part will perform better than a stock one, and the fact that even with a stock bov when you put a pod on a car you can hear it quite loudly.

And, who gives a rats arse if anybody thinks they are wank - do you buy a set of wheels for a car because other people think you should buy them.

If you do a mod to a car, do it because you want to, not because someone else tells you that you should - or should not.

I have a trust type R bov, plumbed back (to avoid defects). The plumbing is stainless pipe, the pod is enclosed in an aluminium box - and you can still hear it.

Do yourself a favour. Drive a car with a stock bov and light mods (exhaust, cooler, boost, pod, ecu) - then drive the same car with a properly adjusted aftermarket bov THEN tell me you dont know whether or not they should be fitted. Even with exhuast and pod a decent, properly adjusted bov will make an appreciable difference to lag between gear changes.

:) to steve..

I think aftermarket BOV are pointless to most mildly tuned cars out there. If i was running a proper turbo I guess i'd do one, you can feel the difference between gears like Steve is saying above. 90% of BOV's are just installed for "cool" factor however if you ask me.

To be honest.. I'll admit they are kinda cool, as long as they're not some dick just sitting there PSHT'ing off just to show "oh look i've got a turbo". Hearing a heavily worked car scream on boost with a nice BOV is a pretty nice sound though i reckon. It feels good too.

Member of BOVA - "Blowoff Valves Anonymous" :D

but how mad does it sound wen u rev ur car up and then u hear this "PSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT" sound and then everyone just turns around and looks and ur like, thats right u mofo's, stick that up ur ass! cmon, dont deny it, u love it.

and how shit does it sound wen ur cruisin down the rocks and u got ur system pumpin but all the street can hear is the rattling of ur boot and number plate!

It totally depends on the function vs noise factor. The majority of BOVs I hear hit top volume when the sik one behind the wheel revs it to 2000RPM and shifts up - basically having a BOV for the sake of having a BOV. Hence I voted for "lame", because the poll's wording as such is whether or not they are "cool". However, a subtle atmo BOV which vents air without making a racket when you're up it, or a plumb-back BOV, will have a performance gain if the rest of the car is modified.

At the moment I'm not sure if my car's even running one... will have to check :P

I like my BOV.... my Neon's, my sticker's, my boost guages, my stock everything else.....

CAUSE IT'S MY CAR.....

You should have heard the crap i got when i told people i was fitting Neon's....

now heap's of people say they really like them....

Go figure....