SAU Community

BOVs: Cool or Not Cool?

pentae

Hey Steve..

The fact is 99% of people buy aftermarket BOV's that vent to the atmosphere for sheer wank value. They want every girl and restaraunt they drive past to know they have a turbo.

There's nothing more annoying sitting at a place having a relaxing cup of coffee with your g/f and some idiot in a rex drives past and changes just as he comes in line with the place.. PSSSHHHTT. I can tell you right now.. HE thinks he's the man but everyone else sitting around thinks he's a tosser.

I have driven many many cars with BOV's, GTR's, GTSt's, Supras, 300ZX's.. including s13's with the exact same mods as mine, and a BOV.. and they had a cheaper exhaust system..

Every turbo car i've owned or driven without a BOV has my preference.

I have noticed no decrease in lag between gear changes whatsoever. Unless like you say you're running 21 psi there is no reason for a BOV, particularly one that vents to the atmosphere. People don't buy BOVs for this, they buy them for....

Wank factor. It's the same as chrome wheels.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm speaking from a purely functional point of view.

BOV or BPV perform a relatively simple function, they prevent air from rushing back into the turbo.

A stock BOV is quite efficient and I have seen people note that the stock BOV is better than some aftermarket parts.

As for comparing aftermarket wheels and aftermarket BOVs.

do you buy a set of wheels for a car because other people think you should buy them.

You're really comparing apples with oranges.

You change the wheels because you want to personalise the look of your car. i.e. an aesthetic upgrade usually.

Changing the BOV is for what?

performance? I think not.

Show me the difference in time trials an aftermarket BOV makes.

well then anyone of u's who have a sound system are a bunch of wankers as well then, because dont u love it wen ur enjoying a cup of coffee wit ur chick at a resturant and that same idiot in a rex drives past with is techno music piercing ur ears, or maybe his subs farting all over the streets?

why so loud? a little bit deaf are we?

nope, all for the sake of getting attention.

its really no big deal having any of these features, but u's seem to be making a big deal outta ur own opinions.

but then again, thats wat forums are for!

so ill be looking fwd to the rebuttle put against my post soon im guessing!

I personally can't see the benefits in aftermarket BOV's than wank factor... To me it attracts too much attention, and people on the sidewalk/passengers expect you to give it a boot-full so they can hear it, which may lead to an accident!!!

I think the underlying problem here is that so many people feel that have to have their say in what other people do to their cars.:( This, I think is fundamentaly wrong. What we each do to our car, our choices, our likes and dislikes are our own. Sometimes I get tired of people saying:

"You shouldn't do this because it's rice..."

"This car with that mod looks sh1te"

"You can't drive that car with this mod."

"This looks good, that looks bad. "

"This is acceptable. That isn't."

etc etc etc.

If people want to fit bov's to their car because they like the sound and nothing more, then let them!

I think at the end of the day: each to their own!

Preaching Over :P

Dave

Originally posted by pentae

Rezz: Sorry if this affects your sales of BOV's.

Oi pentae, I just saw this! Yeah, I'm useless, I know...

But anyways, no effect on sales, coz I haven't got any BOV's listed!

To some people, the most important thing is just knowing within their own mind that they can blow the doors off what ever stops beside them at the lights. You don't have to actually do it, just know that you could.

To others, it is more important to make everyone else think that you could by having your car covered in stickers, a 3 foot high wing on the back and every other rice .... er I mean race ... accessory that you can afford as long as others can see and/or hear it.

Funny enough, it seems that the older you get the more interested in driving a "sleeper" you become. Must get me a JZX100 Chaser some day soon.

Better to be an Old Fart than a Young Dickhead.

Demon Dave is on the money... and the fact that in my eyes they are a performance mod and have a place on a modified engine.

If you think having over 230cfm of air going thru the std BOV is the optimum setup then fair enough, im a wanker.:P

even if you're running 16-20-30psi...

sure there are aftermarket plumback BOV that can hold that much pressure... nice and quiet.... and proves that you're not a wanker...

Not attempting to start an long debate, or antagonise anyone, but...

Why does it have to be plumback though. Sure im pulling hairs when i say this but there is evidence that having an atmo BOV has merit.

Air that has already been compressed/heated is best vented to atmosphere rather then re-ciculated to only be compressed/heated again and pass thru an intercooler that isnt 100% effecient.

Secondly the momentary richness can help cooling of the piston crown. Something for nothing is still something.

And iin addition to boost pressure causing the std jobbie to leak, its also to do with airflow, there is only so much cfm that can be effeciently throttled thru the std BOV.

Again, not looking for a fight, just wanted to share some bits and pieces that i have come accross.:P

kr1sh: Sorry mate, that's totally totally lame.

"I don't go around telling people it's a GTR!" dude your car is badged as one!

I hope some kids debadge your car.. show some respect for other GTR owners who have to put up with cars like yours that are all show and no puff. Thumbs down on that one mate.

Yeah I agree,.. wishing debadging on someone aint cool.. I just think pretenders suck.

Sorry kr1sh.

One of my good friends who has a real GTR.. he went to uni and there was a few guys there driving around in fake badged GTR's, he brought some uni girls out cruising with us they said "Oh this is a GTR like Bryan's and Such-and-such's.. What a good car for under 20,000" .. after he had just spent double that money on a real one you can imagine what he now thinks of guys who drive fakes.

he went to uni and there was a few guys there driving around in fake badged GTR's, he brought some uni girls out cruising with us they said "Oh this is a GTR like Bryan's and Such-and-such's.. What a good car for under 20,000" .. after he had just spent double that money on a real one

:bahaha: So what, i think thats funny. Good luck to the other car for pulling it off.:P

you can imagine what he now thinks of guys who drive fakes.

That they got great value for their money?:)

In this world the only thing i can control is my own actions (well at least i can when im sober), so its best to try and not worry too much about what others are doing.:)