SAU Community

Inner West Crew Whoretown (toowong/st Lucia/kenmore/indooroopilly And Sometimes Sunnybank?)

funkymonkey

That the one from news.com.au? It factors in expected cost of living increases as well.

It sure is. Being its from news.com.au it is also guaranteed to be ~0% accurate.

I'm unsurprised though. I'm in the bracket that politicians forget about.

You didn't answer my question: Get your car back yet?

Oh well, guess the money for new roads etc has to come from somewhere.

Of course the only time politicans will think about you is if you're a voting block of the public. People who are financially secure in a well paying job at a younger age are naturally screwed either way. Can't wait till i'm old and i can get a voice again

Oh well, guess the money for new roads etc has to come from somewhere.

Yeah right. Don't I pay rego for that too?

"Transport and communication" - 5 billion. Sounds like a lot for building roads and sh*t right?

Total budget expenses - $376 billion. Ok, so 4/5 bil is peanuts. That explains why the roads are so sh*t, and why half of them have have tolls.

Where's all the money go then?

"Education" - 29.5 billion. That's not very much either, explains why kids can't spell these days.

"Health" - 61 billion. That's a big chunk, I'm fine with that.

"Defence" - 21.5 billion. Not sure how this rates. Seems OK.

"General Public Services" - 22 billion. Who knows what this is, probably paying politicians.

"Other Purposes" - 70 billion. See above.

And wait for it:

"Social security and welfare" - 131.5 billion. That's over 1/3 of the budget.

Sure, some of these are a good thing, I think we should take care of the elderly, people with disabilities, etc. But IMHO far too much of my tax money goes into paying:

- bogans to have more kids

- drug addicts so they can shoot up some more

- career dole bludgers

- retired politicians

- current politicians

- etc

I don't object to paying taxes, I object to what the majority of them are being spent on.

the readhead wastes enough of my money.. when you hand them $30k a year in gst and pay tax on top its a bit much.

martin, i like the last few lines of that post and agree.

You are probably correct that to much money goes to families with children (they are of course a massive voting block...), and I am surprised that they haven't cancelled the baby bonus outright yet, it was just a policy to win votes afterall. I mean... if you don't have enough money to have a baby... then don't have a baby, instead of expecting the gov to give you money for it etc.

However, only 8.8 billion of the social security money goes to assistance to the unemployed and sick. Once you factor in that most people on it probably legitimately need it, its also peanuts. Most of the social security and welfare bit actually goes to the elderly, disabled and veterans.

I am surprised that they haven't cancelled the baby bonus outright yet

This is why:

to win votes

if you don't have enough money to have a baby... then don't have a baby

This times 11ty.

However, only 8.8 billion of the social security money goes to assistance to the unemployed and sick. Once you factor in that most people on it probably legitimately need it, its also peanuts. Most of the social security and welfare bit actually goes to the elderly, disabled and veterans.

Where'd you get that 8.8 from? I wouldn't mind seeing a breakdown of 130 billion, but I CBF reading the entire budget to see if it's in there or not.

here, i've been going off of the abc's graphic. As you can see the assistance to families is quite a large chunk, much moreso than the assistance to unemployed and sick.

According to the news at lunch they supposedly just moved 2 billion dollars of expenditure forward to this year so they could have the surplus this year instead. Seems like a load of crap really (eg them doing it seems like a load of crap, not the report about it). Funny how noone ever the actual debt of the government. Seems more important than if there's a surplus or a deficit.

Car is back! Yay! Battery and alternator don't seem to work properly. Boo! Smash repair shop says if problem persists they will replace both and bill JCI. Yay! Boot has apparently sprung a leak. Boo! Gumbyment is prepared to give me money for the first time ever as I'm a proper poor student now. Yay! It appears to be coming from the hip pockets of people who I think pay too much tax.Boo!

So yeah, that's my day in a nut shell. At the gym now. Work later.

Looks like ABC just updated that graph. supposedly 50 of the 70 billion other purposes is money given to the state governments, the other 20 billion of it is paying interest, 12 for debt and 8 for "superannuation interest". which i'm assuming means for the government employees super.

12 billion for interest on public debt is a f**kload (even if its not a large part of the overall budget). Considering they're only spending 4 billion on roads, imagine what sort of stuff they could do with national highways if they didn't have to pay off that 12 billion.

I mean people are bitching about something like the NBN costing 36 billion over 10 years, yet we spend 12 billion on interest in a single year.

here, i've been going off of the abc's graphic.

Sweet! Cheers.

As you can see the assistance to families is quite a large chunk, much moreso than the assistance to unemployed and sick.

Hmm... I wonder where the retired politicians super comes in? I bet its "Assistance to the aged". That's a huge chunk. Kinda annoying since I probably won't get a cent by the time I get to that age. And they're always b*tching about how little they get, there must be a lot of them!

Wonder how much of the assistance to families is neccessary and how much is baby bonus and other assorted vote grabbing cr*p?

According to the news at lunch they supposedly just moved 2 billion dollars of expenditure forward to this year so they could have the surplus this year instead. Seems like a load of crap really (eg them doing it seems like a load of crap, not the report about it). Funny how noone ever the actual debt of the government. Seems more important than if there's a surplus or a deficit.

Oh yeah, bunch of shady f*ckers they are.

Car is back! Yay! Battery and alternator don't seem to work properly. Boo! Smash repair shop says if problem persists they will replace both and bill JCI. Yay! Boot has apparently sprung a leak. Boo! Gumbyment is prepared to give me money for the first time ever as I'm a proper poor student now. Yay! It appears to be coming from the hip pockets of people who I think pay too much tax.Boo!

So yeah, that's my day in a nut shell. At the gym now. Work later.

:D:(:):(:):(