SAU Community

Inner West Crew Whoretown (toowong/st Lucia/kenmore/indooroopilly And Sometimes Sunnybank?)

funkymonkey

There are no such thing as real and fake semi slick tires.

Essentially anything with a softer compound with less tread blocks then a “street” tire, creating a more flat area for contact on the road, that is/could be used in motor sports is a semi.. Obviously marketing loosely uses the term in brand marketing, however.

Khumo KU36, Federal 595 RS-R, are basically just very sticky street tyres with a few less grooves on them, but are marketed as 'semi slicks'

Compare that to the likes of Toyo R888, Bridgestone RE55, etc which are proper motorsport tyres. The grip levels and behaviour of the tyres are going to be quite different.

little update of what i've been up to all sunday / this arvo before seeing bruno... f**ked up shit.

welding done by yours truly....

14072009152.jpg

gotta check up PCE on my fmic kit.

Khumo KU36, Federal 595 RS-R, are basically just very sticky street tyres with a few less grooves on them, but are marketed as 'semi slicks'

Compare that to the likes of Toyo R888, Bridgestone RE55, etc which are proper motorsport tyres. The grip levels and behaviour of the tyres are going to be quite different.

Sure they are. they are still a semi however.

That's like me saying I believe the Advan A048's to be more of a semi then the Toyo R888's as the "the grip levels and behaviour is different". Which is the case with the Toyo's and Advans..

Big jump in price, as I'm sure we all know.

I guess my main point is tyres designed for motorsport compared to tyres designed for the street. But whatever, its not worth arguing over.

If you run street tyres on the front and something like R888, Re55, A048 on the rear, it will be very unballanced and understeer like a dog when the rears warm up. I know, I tried it with RE55s on the rear one track day.

However, if by 'semi slicks' he means something like the federals or khumos, he can probably get away with it.

with josh? no it probably isnt..

*thinks back to baskins and robbins incident..

:blink:

Seeing I’ve been involved with competitive race cars, probably not.

I’m not sure why anyone would be running a street tire up front and a semi on the rear. You could get away with a semi on the front and a street on the rear, however again not sure why.

I personally am not a fan of mix and matching tires