SAU Community

R35 Service Costs

dazmo

the 100K km tear down, as far as i know, has not been confirmed in ANY market, US, europe, Japan, etc.

I know it's being technical, but the whole warranty doesn't disappear with regards to track work. If your side mirror stops working and you had a track day and not had the post track check, they're not going to deny your warranty claim to get your mirror fix, etc.

But i suppose the main concern are the $$ bits, engine/gearbox, etc, which would be under warranty threat post track day without an official check.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seems as though the gearbox should be fine if you don't use the "Snow / loose surface function" or whatever, AKA launch control (not officially called that by Nissan) all the time? From what I've read the car is only a couple of tenths slower to 100km/h by just nailing the throttle from idle anyway.

I suppose a good comparison might be with people who own a 911 Turbo; I'd say few would put them on a track. I am aware though that GTR drivers are more likely to be enthusiasts than Porsche drivers since such a huge contingent of Porsche drivers are just posers and wealthy executives (the remainder are true Porsche enthusiasts).

I know this is slightly OT, but has anyone who has an ADM R35 on order got a quote on comprehensive insurance? Is Shannons keen? Would they cover you on a race track?

my JDM R35 is currently comprehensively insured by shannons. price seems fair to me too.

Shannons have given me a quote for an ADM R35. It's a good price too, considering the value covered. They know about the car and seem set up to quote for it now. If you have a CAMS license, it's even cheaper.

my JDM R35 is currently comprehensively insured by shannons. price seems fair to me too.

That's interesting fellas, thanks.

No chance. Thats a pipe dream of current r34gtr owners :D

Maybe, but lets look at some interesting facts.

Its the last GTR with 3 pedals, replacement gearbox costs less than $20,000, only 12,000 made, even fewer left, aftermarket support dating back 20 years.

The new GTR has created lots of interest, some that cant afford the running costs of new just may look at previous model.

At a third of a price, it offers much more than a third of the performance.

Anyway, it'll have to do for now lol

Would the owners of R35's like to see up front what all the servicing costs would be ?

The reason I ask is my friendly dealer is thinking of presenting all the costs up front, so people know what something is going to cost.

They realise that people will have sticker shock to some degree if presented with a $10k bill to do F&R pads and rotors.

Would this make owners happier ?

Please do not put a $0.02 comment in if you are not getting a R35, as this relates specifically to these owners.

Would the owners of R35's like to see up front what all the servicing costs would be ?

The reason I ask is my friendly dealer is thinking of presenting all the costs up front, so people know what something is going to cost.

They realise that people will have sticker shock to some degree if presented with a $10k bill to do F&R pads and rotors.

Please do not put a $0.02 comment in if you are not getting a R35, as this relates specifically to these owners.

Would definitely like to know.

This would help make the decision to start investigating alternate options more thoroughly if certain aspects of servicing are way overpriced. Some areas of servicing such as fluid and brake changes are a definite candidate for using alternate products and service providers.

would appreciate a pm if you are able to get your hands on this and don't mind sharing.

thanks

I Also have JDM R35 with Shannons. Justcarinsurance.com.au would also insure it at a lower premium than Shannons but with like $10,000 excess WTF. While Shannons is reasonable and also low excess like $1500 I think. They are certainly the pick for insuring the R35.

The more info the better :blush: yes please

Question to ponder: how many track days per year would you say the average ADM R35 owner will do? Are propspective owners mostly track day junkies? or is it once or twice a year, or practically never? Personally i think they are mostly enthusiasts, at least with the initial batches. I just dont see such people paying excessive prices for servicing or parts.

I found out today the costs of being a Nissan GTR approved dealer.

Not only is there a heap of training for the mechanics and sales persons, but they need a heap of tools, diagnostic gear and a $45,000 hoist.

We are quick to blame the dealers about the cost of servicing these cars (without actually knowing) yet they have to recoup a huge outlay just to be able to qualify.

I also was told that the brake costs are true as is the servicing after a track day being correct.

A $45000 hoist!!!!

What planet are they on

I paid $1400 for my two post hoist

Picks up my R35 without any trouble

this is what our GTR mechanic told me:

-modify your R35GTR, even an air filter upgrade, warranty void and cant get serviced at the dealership

-if one rotor has a hairline crack, all rotors plus pads to be replaced

-if one tyre punctured, all tyres have to be replaced and they cost over 1000 a tyre(GTR tyres are made only by BRIDGESTONE and DUNLOP)

-turn VDC off, warranty void cuz its a SAFETY(wtf) thing

-apparently a jap spec GTR cant be serviced at dealerships cuz its different to the aussie delivered ones

services are pretty damn regular and even though some can afford it, going back to the dealership several times is going to annoy owners cuz your servicing the car more than you drive it and in the end, some might be thinking they would rather have the older model GTRs and modify them plus the older GTRs are easier and cheaper to maintain or just buy something else

the mechanic also drove them during their training course(a prerequisite for GTR technicians) and while he said they are quick, he felt that the technologies have taken the controls away from the driver and feels unnatural (our GTR mechanic races cars before) and he said its annoying how when you go round the corner with all the VDC, traction steer, etc on, you'll see a variety of lights and warning signals blinking all over the place telling you are going round the corner too fast so we are doing this, doing that blah blah blah yada yada yada trying to work out some kind of compromise.

-modify your R35GTR, even an air filter upgrade, warranty void and cant get serviced at the dealership

-if one tyre punctured, all tyres have to be replaced and they cost over 1000 a tyre(GTR tyres are made only by BRIDGESTONE and DUNLOP)

-apparently a jap spec GTR cant be serviced at dealerships cuz its different to the aussie delivered ones

services are pretty damn regular and even though some can afford it, going back to the dealership several times is going to annoy owners cuz your servicing the car more than you drive it and in the end, some might be thinking they would rather have the older model GTRs and modify them plus the older GTRs are easier and cheaper to maintain or just buy something else

the mechanic also drove them during their training course(a prerequisite for GTR technicians) and while he said they are quick, he felt that the technologies have taken the controls away from the driver and feels unnatural (our GTR mechanic races cars before) and he said its annoying how when you go round the corner with all the VDC, traction steer, etc on, you'll see a variety of lights and warning signals blinking all over the place telling you are going round the corner too fast so we are doing this, doing that blah blah blah yada yada yada trying to work out some kind of compromise.

wow, sounds a tad overzealous! interesting though. Goodluck getting people to accept that sort of thing. Personally i think reality will set in soon enough, when that $45k hoist is collecting dust.

At a third of a price, it offers much more than a third of the performance.

having had and driven both I have to disagree. the R35 offers a lot more than 3 times the performance of the 34. Don't get me wrong, a nice R34 GTR is stupidly good value at $50K but in standard form they are not very exciting cars, nor are they super quick on a circuit or in a straight line. at triple the price the R35 is even better value! Things like the brakes, the interior, the beautiful 500hp engine and most of all the DSG make it a whole other ball game to a 34. I'm not saying it's the best car in the world but it's pretty close to the best $170K car in the world.

Through a winding road you'd need a 34 GTR with way more power and serious suspension and brakes and lots of gear to keep close to a well driven R35. the DSG alone counts for a lot of that.

Guess we will find out for sure once the deliveries actually start taking place. What about the servicing experiences of overseas owners who have had their R35s for up to a year now? If they have been getting theirs serviced from a main dealer, surely the costs must be similar there too, otherwise Nissan Aus is just profiteering?

Some of the measures described here are just crazy. At the end of the day it is still a road car that is intended for road use isnt' it? Does Nissan want R35 owners to treat their cars like old 512BB Ferraris, only taken out on sunny weekends and wrapped in cotton wool every other day for fear of breaking some precious part? I can't help but feel that Nissan could have scaled back some of the engineering on the R35 and while that might have meant it would lose 5% of its performance potential, it would cost 20-30% less to maintain.

Maybe it's just the japanese (could even say German) way, being that meticulous and engineering everything to that nth degree, and I love that attention to detail and engineering that pushes the envelope, but on a mainstream car? I'm not sure if the ZR-1 with its apparently very basic engineering, yet comparable on-track performance, needs such a high degree of attention either at production stage or via maintenance...

funny, for a car that is suppose to drive itself and suppose to do everything on it's own... there sure are a lot of crashed R's :P

iF you turn VDC off, your warranty isn't VOID!! good son of rajab, it's not a hard concept to grasp. Nissan will deny a warranty claim if it thinks the damage or fault was caused/related to VDC being turned off, which it would to prove in some way shape or form going from the US experience. And considering there's really no need for LC anymore, ONE of the main issues with VDC has been negated anyway. If the electric seats f*ck up, if the stereo doesn't work, if your mirrors fail, if your brake lights are dodgy, if your computer display packs it in, etc, etc... even with VDC off, warranty will still cover all that. It's very misleading to say the whole warranty is void, because it's not.

as Jeff has already pointed out, for basic servicing, you have options that won't cost anymore than any other car. It's the post track day checks which is the sticky point.

having had and driven both I have to disagree. the R35 offers a lot more than 3 times the performance of the 34. Don't get me wrong, a nice R34 GTR is stupidly good value at $50K but in standard form they are not very exciting cars, nor are they super quick on a circuit or in a straight line. at triple the price the R35 is even better value! Things like the brakes, the interior, the beautiful 500hp engine and most of all the DSG make it a whole other ball game to a 34. I'm not saying it's the best car in the world but it's pretty close to the best $170K car in the world.

Through a winding road you'd need a 34 GTR with way more power and serious suspension and brakes and lots of gear to keep close to a well driven R35. the DSG alone counts for a lot of that.

I havent driven both so I cant argue with you. The only information I have are performance figures, ie Nurburgring, 1/4 mile etc.

I do think I recently read somewhere that at a particular track day in Sydney, an S15 and an R32 GTR handed the R35 its ass to it. Maybe they had invested $170,000 in them, again, I dont know. But if an R35 is 3 times quicker round the ring, the 1/4 and 0-100, than an R34 or any car for that matter, I have been reading the wrong information.

Were off topic and I apologize for that. Back on topic.

But if an R35 is 3 times quicker round the ring, the 1/4 and 0-100, than an R34 or any car for that matter, I have been reading the wrong information.

Ahhh...nothing wrong with your information, only your interpretation. By your logic a vehicle is only 3 times as good if it does it 3 times as well or as fast. By your logic we should all be buying Toyota Corollas, because for $23,000 you get 0-100 in about 9 seconds. I do not know a car that is, by your logic, twice as good for twice the money eg 4.5 seconds for under $46,000.

So everyone....cancel your GTR orders....we have a new supercar.... the Corolla. (Vlue for money wise)

Logically you must agree that once you reach a point in performance the incremental improvements are what makes are car progressively better.

Anyway...on service costs...I just got off the phone to my service manager who is delivering my car and this is the upshot:

- There are no finalised prices for hourly rates or parts as of yet.

Hence everything we are reading is speculation, that is unless your dealer is preparing you for a right royal shafting on prices they are making up themselves.